Higher output automotive charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
Ran into an issue at the shop this week and was looking for higher amperage, smaller sized, carryable chargers. I had a 2014 BMW that needed a negative battery cable, and battery, that the client refused to replace, but needed a scan for his check engine. The car kept going dead in the middle of the scan, so needed to get a charger on it. I have the Schumacher 12a charger thats about the size of half of a 6 pack, but 12 amps is not nearly enough to keep these cars awake, so had to roll out the DTAC, which of course was buried in the furthest corner of the shop and I had to put 2 cars up to roll it through, huge hassle. I was wondering if anyone knew of a smaller charger that is roughly about the size of a 6 pack, just to carry out to the cars in situations like this. Something in the 35-45 amp range would be perfect.

The most expedient thing for that situation would be to hook up a jump pack or set a good regular battery next to the car and connect it with jumper cables. You don't care about trying to charge the battery in the car because it's shot anyway.

Last edited:
This ^^^^

Not sure if this helps but, we have used Booster Pac ES2500 at the shop for years. It's a little bulky but has come in handy countless times.

Last edited:
Try really hard to find one of there - they work GREAT!

DO NOT get the ones that replaced the needle style amp gauge with LED lights..... it just isn't the same unit at all.

I need consistent 35-40 amps to keep the cars awake, the 50 amp is only for about 30 seconds max. I could go back to the heavy booster packs, as Ive been using the 1000 amp lithiums for a few years, but I can only keep them hooked up for 30 seconds. Id prefer the charger as it offers more than one use, the old style booster pack would just sit mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back