Moen faucet collar is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace it with a hot / cold dual control faucet. Through the years I have had nothing but problems with single control cartridge faucet designs. Both kitchen and bathroom models from Moen, Peerless, and Delta. Both intermediate and expensive grades. It doesn't matter because they all employ the same problem prone cartridge design. These cartridges can and do develop very slight leaks that you won't see right away. But it's enough to keep everything inside the faucet housing itself wet enough to induce rapid corrosion. Especially involving the threaded components you have to remove in order to replace them.

By the time the leak gets bad enough for you to see it starting to drip under the sink or vanity, it is so corroded internally, you will have a very difficult time getting it out. Since I purchased my home new from the builder 22 years ago, I've replaced the single control kitchen and bathroom faucets multiple times. And the cartridges in the shower valves several times as well. Since going to separate hot / cold faucet controls I have never had a single issue.

The last single control Moen faucet I had in my kitchen, took the plumber over an hour to remove. He told me he only had one that was tougher. And he could not remove it. He had to replace the sink. He ended up sawing mine off with a hacksaw. He was very careful, and did not scratch the sink. He told me about the problems associated with single control faucet designs, and it all made sense. So while he was working, I took the new replacement I had purchased, back to Home Depot, (it was a single control), and exchanged it for a dual control model per his advice. I have never had an issue since. He told me over 75% of the leaking faucet calls he receives, are due to single control cartridge designs.

I have a Moen faucet used daily in my bathroom. It came with the house 27 years ago and has never needed service.

I owned three houses over a 39 year period. I never had any trouble with any Moen product in them. No repairs, no replacements, and no leaks. IMO if you have to cut off a faucet to remove it, it's not a bad product but a bad installation job.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
IMO if you have to cut off a faucet to remove it, it's not a bad product but a bad installation job.

It had nothing to do with how it was installed. The problem was as I stated in the post. Corrosive effects of the cartridge leaking within the housing caused the threaded spanner collar nut that holds the faucet to the sink to become frozen to the point it could not be broken loose, let alone removed. If a faucet leaks from it's internal components for any reason, and not from a connection, it is a bad product, and has nothing to do with how it was installed.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by ffhdriver
IMO if you have to cut off a faucet to remove it, it's not a bad product but a bad installation job.

It had nothing to do with how it was installed. The problem was as I stated in the post. Corrosive effects of the cartridge leaking within the housing caused the threaded spanner collar nut that holds the faucet to the sink to become frozen to the point it could not be broken loose, let alone removed. If a faucet leaks from it's internal components for any reason, and not from a connection, it is a bad product, and has nothing to do with how it was installed.
Sorry I misread the post.

400$ Hans Grohe single lever in one sink. 40$ Chinesium single lever in the other. Both work fine.. The chrome is starting to bubble the plastic on the escutcheon plate of the cheapy. Works fine though.

Replace it with a hot / cold dual control faucet. Through the years I have had nothing but problems with single control cartridge faucet designs. Both kitchen and bathroom models from Moen, Peerless, and Delta. Both intermediate and expensive grades. It doesn't matter because they all employ the same problem prone cartridge design. These cartridges can and do develop very slight leaks that you won't see right away. But it's enough to keep everything inside the faucet housing itself wet enough to induce rapid corrosion. Especially involving the threaded components you have to remove in order to replace them.

By the time the leak gets bad enough for you to see it starting to drip under the sink or vanity, it is so corroded internally, you will have a very difficult time getting it out. Since I purchased my home new from the builder 22 years ago, I've replaced the single control kitchen and bathroom faucets multiple times. And the cartridges in the shower valves several times as well. Since going to separate hot / cold faucet controls I have never had a single issue.

The last single control Moen faucet I had in my kitchen, took the plumber over an hour to remove. He told me he only had one that was tougher. And he could not remove it. He had to replace the sink. He ended up sawing mine off with a hacksaw. He was very careful, and did not scratch the sink. He told me about the problems associated with single control faucet designs, and it all made sense. So while he was working, I took the new replacement I had purchased, back to Home Depot, (it was a single control), and exchanged it for a dual control model per his advice. I have never had an issue since. He told me over 75% of the leaking faucet calls he receives, are due to single control cartridge designs.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, that was hella useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back