RockAuto Injectors - Return / Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine with a Jeep and the 3.6L that is getting up in mileage but well looked after had an injector fail on him a couple of weeks ago. I went through standard diagnostics with him and the injector was definitely bad not putting out fuel at all and another one in the other bank of cylinders was dripping when off.

Given the mileage we decided to put a set of 6 injectors in and ordered them from RockAuto. They arrived and we put them in today. Got the top end all put together (Plennum etc.), fired it up and had a misfire on 4 cylinders. Scratching our heads we took the plenum off again and doubled checked all the connectors to the injectors and coils and couldn't find anything wrong. I pulled the fuel rails and injectors again and put them on my dad's fuel injector test aparatus and sure enough 4 injectors weren't working at all some of the time and intermittently would fire a little bit of fuel.

We tested all the old injectors and picked the best 4 of the 6 and then added the 2 new good ones from the RockAuto order and put the Jeep back together. All good, fired right up and ran perfectly.

So I packaged up the 4 injectors not working and we started the return process with them.

I could understand 1 bad injector in a lot because stuff happens but 4 bad in the same shipment of 6 is just weird. I tested the resistance on the new, existing, and bad injectors and they all had 11.8ohms so it doesn't appear to be an electrical circuit problem but I guess the mechanical part of the injector is sticking.

First time ever I had this problem swapping out injectors.
21.gif
Anyone else have this issue with RockAuto?

In case anyone is wondering they were Standard Motor Products injectors that came out and that is what we ordered to go back in.

Here is goes.... LOL

20190223_152806.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Do you have an actual injector tester?

I don't but my dad does.

I can pulse them at various speeds and various pressures. It doesn't do Direct Injection injectors just the PFI type. It has measurement tubes to compare flow rates as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by das_peikko
What other brands does RockAuto have to offer for that application?
I'm thinking Standard Motor Products would not have been my first choice.

Bosch but he chose SMP because that is what was in it. They are stamped on the plastic part of the housing. It's back together and working.

I have used SMP stuff in the past and never had issues with their stuff.

Last edited:

Standard is usually good.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Bosch but he chose SMP because that is what was in it. They are stamped on the plastic part of the housing. It's back together and working.

What's the year and model of the Jeep?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Uggghhh. I hate it when that stuff happens.

Yeah and this one you have to take the plenum off and disconnect/remove a bunch of stuff on top of that to get at them all, then put it all back.

I should have had the tester setup and tested the new ones out of the box but didn't think ahead of time that this issue would have occurred. Oh well, live and learn.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I just changed an oil cooler adapter on a 2014 Pentastar 3.6L Kind of a pain having to pull the two piece intake to change out. Maybe an hour and a half except for cleaning up all the oil in the valley. I've had pretty good luck over the years with standard motor products parts but I guess you never know. I have been sucking it up and buying OE parts the last couple of years, cost more but I hate having to do any job twice.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I just changed an oil cooler adapter on a 2014 Pentastar 3.6L Kind of a pain having to pull the two piece intake to change out. Maybe an hour and a half except for cleaning up all the oil in the valley. I've had pretty good luck over the years with standard motor products parts but I guess you never know. I have been sucking it up and buying OE parts the last couple of years, cost more but I hate having to do any job twice.

Yeah I watched a video on that process by a Mopar Mechanic doing it, just in case I ever have the need to do it on mine.
It's not terrible, just tedious having to remove all the stuff in the way first.

Last edited:

What's the year and model of the Jeep?

14 Wrangler but he has high mileage at 209,000 (130K miles). My dad's PentaStar is still on its original injectors although it does stumble occasionally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142

Standard is usually good.

The only thing I can think of is that someone returned their bad ones and they were re-stocked. It would be hard to tell if they are used because they stay clean where they are.

They have Mopar injectors on Rock Auto, but they are expensive, and if you look at the stock images provided by Chrysler, the picture is blurry
crazy2.gif

Get Mopar or BOsch

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
They have Mopar injectors on Rock Auto, but they are expensive, and if you look at the stock images provided by Chrysler, the picture is blurry
crazy2.gif

Get Mopar or BOsch

They are SMP just with the Chrysler logo on them and they cost more, we saw this when we pulled his other ones.
SMP made all sorts of sensors on my Journey so they do provide to ChryCo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder how long those two will last?

My dad's are on his originals at 180K miles.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. His valves as seen through the plastic intake were clean as a whistle. It was too hard to take a picture because the black plastic intake tubes aren't the easiest to get a camera shot of but looking down each one I was impressed how clean they were.

SMP Intermotor import parts are some times the actual OE part.

Lots of fakes going around. Somebody could have switched the real injectors with the fakes, and sent them back to RockAuto.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder how long those two will last?

My dad's are on his originals at 180K miles.

I'm sure the factory didn't get the injectors from Rock Auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back