03 Nissan Maxima stalls uphill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
03 Maxima in my sig. Leave the driveway start going uphill the engine sputters to a stop and stalls. Can't start it. Roll it back down to the driveway where it's flat starts right up. No codes. No pending codes. Where should I go next?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
03 Maxima in my sig. Leave the driveway start going uphill the engine sputters to a stop and stalls. Can't start it. Roll it back down to the driveway where it's flat starts right up. No codes. No pending codes. Where should I go next?

Somewhere flat like Houston...

I don't see an entire assy, just different pieces. The pumps range from 18-46 gph. Not sure what was OEM, or what GPH to replace it with.

Have you considered swapping your current engine for a Predator from Harbor Freight? I saw a video where some guys were burning up the road after such a swap.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
How much gas is in it? Sounds like the pump is sucking air when you hit the grade.

The gauge says there is between 1/3 tank left. It does have a history of gas gauge problems. A year ago it was throwing a code which required the cluster to be rebuilt. There is a relearn procedure for the gauges. Some kind of key / pushing on the trip button dance. I'm going to try that. And I suppose I should probably go to the gas station and fill up a can of Premium.

I really should give up on this thing. Has a problem almost every month. The enticement of fixing a free car tricked me into spending $2,800 in parts and a new set of tires on this troubled car. So I'd like to get a year or two out of it

How much gas is in it? Sounds like the pump is sucking air when you hit the grade.

The gauge says there is between 1/3 tank left. It does have a history of gas gauge problems. A year ago it was throwing a code which required the cluster to be rebuilt. There is a relearn procedure for the gauges. Some kind of key / pushing on the trip button dance. I'm going to try that. And I suppose I should probably go to the gas station and fill up a can of Premium.

I really should give up on this thing. Has a problem almost every month. The enticement of fixing a free car tricked me into spending $2,800 in parts and a new set of tires on this troubled car. So I'd like to get a year or two out of it

That'd be where I'd start. Put more gas in it, if the problem goes away you know it is either the gauge or the pick-up in the tank.

Have you noticed any fuel odor standing next to the car after you shut it off? If not the lines, perhaps a pinhole in the top of the sending unit?

Originally Posted by Fifth87
Have you noticed any fuel odor standing next to the car after you shut it off? If not the lines, perhaps a pinhole in the top of the sending unit?

Yup. When I tried starting it just now. I think I'm getting bit by the gas gauge again. Going to add the snowblower gas

That'd be where I'd start. Put more gas in it, if the problem goes away you know it is either the gauge or the pick-up in the tank.

I put 5 gallons of gas in the car. Gauge pretty much stayed in the same place. And.. It starts. Drove up and down the street. No issues. Its the gas gauge again!!! But this time different. Before it had a code. This time no codes. So the suspect would be something mechanical?

If it is mechanical, or electro-mechanical, perhaps sticking float or rheostat voltage?

I put 5 gallons of gas in the car. Gauge pretty much stayed in the same place. And.. It starts. Drove up and down the street. No issues. Its the gas gauge again!!! But this time different. Before it had a code. This time no codes. So the suspect would be something mechanical?

Glad I could be of assistance
grin.gif

Could be a stuck float. See if rapping the tank changes the reading.

Glad I could be of assistance
grin.gif

Could be a stuck float. See if rapping the tank changes the reading.

OK.
cry.gif
This car fails different ways with the same problems!!!

Next door neighbor "you ok? run out of gas? need a push home?"

Me "Nah, its something else, plenty of gas, but thanks"

OMG thats embarrassing. Never run out of gas in my life. I guess I need to pull out the sending unit and see whats going on.

Sending unit is usually just a variable resistor which you can test from outside the tank.

Figure how many gallons you burn a week . Keep it close to full . Or , at least , never below 50% . Until you get it repaired .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back