Alternatively to Permatex

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is better than grey Permatex gasket sealant ?
There was a recommendation made on the forum that was made by Rolls Royce in the 1970's. It was grey too.

I use motorcycle gasket sealant, called Yamabond. Pretty sure Honda sells the same stuff called Hondabond. I've also seen it called Threebond.

You're looking for a Gray sealer that was current 50 years ago? How about updating your technology to the 2nd millennia. I take it you want to coat both sides of the gasket ? Also, is it for a part that seals in the presence of gasoline?

Last edited:
Modern gaskets rarely need any sealant. Sealant application should be limited to designs where a sealant was always the only "gasket", such as some transmission cases and alloy oil pans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
You're looking for a Gray sealer that was current 50 years ago? How about updating your technology to the 2nd millennia. I take it you want to coat both sides of the gasket ?

We're in the 3rd millennium. Permatex Aviation Forma-Gasket is closer to 100 yrs old. Used as directed , it works great! And it has worked for alooong time. You're not the 'Beta" test
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
You're looking for a Gray sealer that was current 50 years ago? How about updating your technology to the 2nd millennia. I take it you want to coat both sides of the gasket ?

We're in the 3rd millennium. Permatex Aviation Forma-Gasket is closer to 100 yrs old. Used as directed , it works great! And it has worked for alooong time. You're not the 'Beta" test
grin2.gif

Nope. Just trying to get the OP up to date on the 2nd Millennia products. Permatex makes at least 10 gasket sealant products. Assess them based on what you are trying to seal.
smile.gif

The stuff is likely the same stuff just using a differnt dye . I always can find it and I keep some on hand.with gasket paper. RTV takes too long to cure properly is one of my excuses for using A F-G

That grey Permatex is not intended to seal gaskets. It's intended to be a gasket.

A gasket sealer for paper and cork gaskets would be Permatex 2-B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back