Oil recommendation for Audi turbo engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a Audi 4000q with 2.2L 20V 5cyl turbo AAN engine swap from URS4. Running GT3071r turbo at 26psi making 362awhp 320awtq, the car sits most of the time I drive it few times a month on the street with occasional track day. I use 0w40 Castrol at the moment with a over sized oil filter (Mann 940/25) and external oil cooler, I'm considering 5w40 Redline but I see some mixed opinions. Any advice for better options are welcome. Thank you in advance

Last edited:
You should really get a UOA and see how the Castrol 0W40 is holding up. That's a pretty stout oil.

Because it is not a DD and sees track use Redline is probably a good idea, but boutiques are unnecessary 95% of the time. I think this application could warrant it, but after spending thousands on mods, a UOA is just a drop in the bucket. What's your OCI?

Pics, please!

My OCI is pretty much 1-2k miles I try to change the oil every few months. You are right I have to get UOA but I don't mind spending few extra bucks on better oil for just piece of mind. I will get some pictures in few min
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
What about getting a front bumper cover?

This is the next thing on the to do list

Originally Posted by sloinker
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rup-sae-5w-40.html

Look at this too. Probably comparable to the Red Line but also has manufacturer approvals.

Looks good any benefit over Redline? I think Redline 5w40 has manufacturer approvals as well, for me priority is wear protection. I'm not going to set high OCI or anything
smile.gif

Here is actually one of the drag strip runs

Nice car, I personally love the way the huge intercooler instead of a front bumper cover look screams hot rod but I would be scared of stuff hitting the intercooler.

If you are doing 1-2k OCIs than you may as well make the switch, especially if that's a annual OCI.

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rup-sae-5w-40.html

Look at this too. Probably comparable to the Red Line but also has manufacturer approvals.
Manufacturer approvals are very important on a thirty year old engine swapped car with a hydro e-brake. Wouldn't want to void the warranty on that.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Nice car, I personally love the way the huge intercooler instead of a front bumper cover look screams hot rod but I would be scared of stuff hitting the intercooler.

If you are doing 1-2k OCIs than you may as well make the switch, especially if that's a annual OCI.

Manufacturer approvals are very important on a thirty year old engine swapped car with a hydro e-brake. Wouldn't want to void the warranty on that.

Thank you, the hydro e-brake was a lot of fun when I had RWD set up but it's not very useful with both center and diff locked on the drag strip lol. I have to make the bumper fit in order to pass MA inspection
frown.gif

Originally Posted by zorba02
Originally Posted by maxdustington

Thank you, the hydro e-brake was a lot of fun when I had RWD set up but it's not very useful with both center and diff locked on the drag strip lol. I have to make the bumper fit in order to pass MA inspection
frown.gif

With the Red Line there isn't any independent oversight or adherence. I use Red Line and trust them at their word as far as meeting specifications. The Ravenol doesn't require any of that trust as it is tested to meet manufacturer approvals. Some Red Line is now also.

I just got answer from Redline after contacting them to ask for their suggestion. This is their answer:
"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your engine for your use the 5W40 would be a good all around choice. Our High Performance Motor Oils use a different base stock than others, a Group IV/V blend providing the best film strength, for the best protection and better HTHS viscosity than other oils. The additive package provides more than sufficient wear protection, friction reduction and dispersents/detergents to provide an extended drain.
I'll try emailing Amsoil as well.

Last edited:
It's essentially a race car on the street
laugh.gif

I'd run Redline, and I'd do samples all the way out to 4,000 miles. Since sampling, I would not worry about ageing out. Just go by the UOA's. If you have the oil flow off the pump (?), I'd consider a by-pass filter too. It'll catch extremely fine stuff the Mann might miss ...

With that much work and money in the car, I would treat the oil regimen entirely different than a DD.

I'd also epoxy a plate magnet onto the bottom of the pan and run a magnetic drain plug on all points. Diffs, tranny, engine, the works.

My fav all time car was a modded Audi Fox back in the day. I got so many tickets in that car I almost lost my licenses. Got banned from the Navy Base because I passed the CO's wife and her mini-van about 5 feet in the air off the RxR crossing
laugh.gif

Audi 4000 5+5 Turbo is the dream car of mine. I have assembled many in my head as the ideal street sweeper
laugh.gif

I'd take it over all the current high-zoot stuff out there. You done well brother
thumbsup2.gif

Even in retirement and with grand kids, if I got my hands on one it would be over for my license ... How could you/I not put my foot in it now and then
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back