Jeep Cherokee 2.4L oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 tiger shark is using 2 quarts of 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum at 7000 mile oil change intervals. Anybody else experiencing similar consumption from this engine? Manual calls for 0w-20 synthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many intervals of the Pen Plat 0w20 have you run in it? Sometimes it takes 3-4 intervals of that oil for the consumption to decrease. If you've already done that try Castrol Magnatec 5 or 0w20 oil.

Originally Posted by RedOak
2019 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 tiger shark is using 2 quarts of 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum at 7000 mile oil change intervals. Anybody else experiencing similar consumption from this engine? Manual calls for 0w-20 synthetic.

Some increased consumption isn't all that unusual as the engine breaks in. How many miles on Jeep? While I don't like 1qt for every 3.5k miles, it's well above what manufacturers consider excessive consumption.

That's disappointing, RedOak. A Google search seems to confirm that FCA has gone the way of most other mfg. regarding "normal" oil usage: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900715.pdf . I find it disgusting. I have the regular version of that 2.4L engine and it uses almost immeasurable oil @ 7K OCI's. I use 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum. I guess all you can do is maybe try other oils and carefully monitor the situation. Best of luck to you.

Yep, same engine in my Ram Promaster.
You are about normal for consumption.
I can tell you 5w40 and 15w50 stay in the sump.
No I don't care what the manual says.
5w40 is used in this engine in Fiat cars in other countries.

Last edited:
Have approximately 16,000 on the engine. This is the end of the second oci. Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking of moving up in oil weight. Breaking in should be finished.

Originally Posted by RedOak
I'm thinking of moving up in oil weight.

I would try a 5w20 or 5w30 Conventional Oil.

What's acceptable according to Chrylser? I know with the old 3.8 it was 1 quart every 1000 miles.

5w30 should be allowable manual/ warranty wise, but I'd investigate more since it only has 16k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back