2001 Grand Cherokee Rear Diff Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to replace the rear diff lube in my son'e 01 Grand, 155,000 miles. What brand would you all suggest?
I am pretty sure it hasn't been changed in 50k.

Thanks for the input.
Tim

Originally Posted by Plimbob
Getting ready to replace the rear diff lube in my son'e 01 Grand, 155,000 miles. What brand would you all suggest?
I am pretty sure it hasn't been changed in 50k.

Thanks for the input.
Tim

I've had good service from Valvoline, Mobil 1, and Supertech. I mostly run Supertech full synthetic. The 75w90 is only about 7 bucks a quart. The 75w140 is about 12. If it is the same price, I'll usually run Valvoline, but the Supertech is good stuff.

I don't have a Grand Cherokee but I currently use Valvoline in a Cadillac and it works well for normal driving. I previously used Royal Purple and Red Line in a truck often used for towing. All of these worked well.

IMO if you tow and/or want to drive a long time before changing again, Red Line or Amsoil may be worth the extra cost. If you don't tow and/or are fine with changing sooner, a lower cost brand will probably suffice.

Chris,

I don't think it has the Vari-loc rear-end but will it hurt anything if the lube has the additive?

Thanks,
Tim

Originally Posted by Plimbob
Chris,

I don't think it has the Vari-loc rear-end but will it hurt anything if the lube has the additive?

Thanks,
Tim

IIRC if you have the additive and don't need it, no problem. It's only if you need it and don't have it that the limited slip won't work for you.

Just use an inexpensive one and shorten the interval, unless he has some habits such as towing or wheeling hard. Most of those are using one type fits all because open diffs are forgiving but the anti slips need it in some cases. pretty easy to change diff fluid and a pretty steep penalty if it fails, no brainer.

I would use the least expensive GL-5 rated gear oil such as Supertech for your differential. Use the weight specified in your manual and pay attention if it has a vari locking diff.. Don't waste your money on the expensive brands such as Amsoil, Red Line etc. you won't notice a difference. 50k is not many miles anyway and you could go farther. Myself, I generally don't change the gear oil unless it gets contaminated or I have to go inside like to change a seal which only happened once and I never had a mechanical issue with any differential.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back