What Toyota Corolla/Matrix/Vibe ATF and Coolant is available at Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the last maintenance I ordered everything from Amazon (Valvoline Full Synthetic IMV and Zerex Asian Red), but was wondering what everyone is using from their local Walmart on their Toyota drivetrains.

I checked our local WM and only prestone 50/50 all vehicle or Super Tech concentrate. There appears to be older Valvoline Red for Asian (Toyota, etc) but says with Zerex technology. The white bottle looks yellowish and the label faded so I ordered Zerex Asian Red for the Yota truck I'm changing coolant on from Amazon.

I recently asked one of who I consider the most knowledgeable on here about ATF from WM for an 05 Matrix and below is their response:

Originally Posted by XXXX
Get this one it meets Toyota spec. Basically Toyota specs dex/mercon(V) not low viscosity fluid.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-MERCON-V-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1qt/17134874

Super Tech MERCON V Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart:

Uses a unique combination of conventional base stocks and an advanced additive technology
Meets the performance requirements of Ford automatic transmissions calling for MERCON V fluid
Suitable for use where the following automatic transmission fluids are recommended:
Chrysler 3 and 4 (except C-604 transmissions)
DEXRON II (E, F)
DEXRON III (G, H)
DEXRON VI
Honda Z-1
MERCON
MERCON LV
MERCON SP
Nissan Matic-J
Toyota T-IV or Toyota WS

Maxlife ATF is sold at many Walmart locations
smile.gif

The best coolant they have is the Valvoline Zerex Asian red coolant.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I wouldn't use anything other than the Toyota Genuine Pink Coolant (Super-Long-Life) 50/50 mix in a Toyota.

The Zerex Asian is good for those Toyotas, and Valvoline/Zerex is a reputable company
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I recently asked one of who I consider the most knowledgeable on here about ATF from WM for an 05 Matrix and below is their response:
Get this one it meets Toyota spec. Basically Toyota specs dex/mercon(V) not low viscosity fluid.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-MERCON-V-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1qt/17134874

Uses a unique combination of conventional base stocks and an advanced additive technology
Meets the performance requirements of Ford automatic transmissions calling for MERCON V fluid
Suitable for use where the following automatic transmission fluids are recommended:
DEXRON II (E, F)
DEXRON III (G, H)
DEXRON VI
Honda Z-1
MERCON
MERCON LV
MERCON SP
Nissan Matic-J
Toyota T-IV or Toyota WS

For my 1985 Corolla that specs GM Dexron II, I've always used Valvoline Dexron (conventional Dexron IIIF, Dexron IIIG, and Dexron IIIH) and I've been using the Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic (thinner but shear-stable Dexron) since it was introduced many years ago. My transmission runs like clockwork.

For the newer Toyotas, I wouldn't go with anything other than the Toyota Genuine WS ATF, Toyota Genuine FE CVTF, and Toyota Genuine TC CVTF. They are proprietary formulations and not licensed to blenders.

It's disturbing that Valvoline MaxLife etc. are one-size-fits-all ATFs. California is forbidding them from making that claim. They are obviously off-spec because different OEM specs conflict. Why would you run an off-spec fluid in your car and think it's OK?

Originally Posted by Nicasio
During the last maintenance I ordered everything from Amazon (Valvoline Full Synthetic IMV and Zerex Asian Red), but was wondering what everyone is using from their local Walmart on their Toyota drivetrains.

One lesson learnt the very hard way was to never ever fuccck around the coolant department -- get OEM coolant from tbe dealership.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…..Valvoline Asian Vehicle Red AF ( same as ZAF) ~$13/gal.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Zerex-Asian-RED-Vehicle-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Gallon/49660461
When I posted, did so quickly didn't recognize that the new jugs (red and blue tint) added the bold Zerex name to them. I'd use either the red or blue tint in any of the applications for which they're listed.

The blue tint for Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Hyun is a dollar less which used to be original price of both.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Zerex-Asian-BLUE-Vehicle-Antifreeze-Coolant-1-Gallon/801754735

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

DEXRON II (E, F)
DEXRON III (G, H)
DEXRON VI
Honda Z-1
MERCON
MERCON LV
MERCON SP
Nissan Matic-J
Toyota T-IV or Toyota WS

I wonder if this is full synthetic or a blend. I didn't see anything stated in the link.

GM specifies Dex-Cool for the Vibe (Walmart carries GM-licensed Prestone Dex-Cool). As others have said, it would be hard to go wrong with the [Walmart-sourced] Maxlife. I bought my daughter a new Vibe 1.8 back in 2009 and have had no cooling system issues maintaining the system with Dex-Cool. Although for ATF I've been using Amsoil SS LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back