Acura TL 3.7 oil consumption warranty extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have owned my 2012 Acura TL 3.7 MT since new and been a maintenance fanatic, doing my own oil changes, always within the limits of the MM. Car never used much oil, minimal top up required between changes. Now it has 84k miles on it and I have noticed that I do have to top up more between oil changes. I estimate about a third of a quart every 500 miles, which I can live with. However, I have read all sorts of horror stories about these 3.7 engines having excessive oil consumption. A few days ago, I received a letter from Acura that they are aware of the oil control rings becoming clogged up with carbon deposits during normal engine operation, and they are extending the warranty to 8 years 125,000 miles from 6 years/70,000. I had always planned on keeping this car until the 200k mark.

Here's my question, what is the definition of excessive oil consumption?
the letter from Acura says bring it in to an Acura dealer, and the dealer will do an engine oil consumption test. What the [censored] is that? Will they top it off and ask you to come back in 500 miles? Unless you measure it cold first thing in the morning, how accurate could it be?

I think the average person here would agree that a quart every 1000 miles is not excessive, even though it is for this particular individual car. At what point do you think Acura will honor their extended warranty? Should I talk to a dealer?

I think from here on in, I will go with 5W30 instead of the factory recommended 5W20.
Any other suggestions? I was going to have the spark plugs changed ahead of schedule. Should I have the valve guides changed? Anything else other than using slightly higher viscosity oil?
I don't see any blue smoke. The car runs great. Again my objective is to keep this car on the road for another 115,000 miles if that is feasible. On the other hand, if I am going to need a major engine replacement, and that point doesn't arrive until after the newly extended 125,000 mile mark occurs, should I put money into this car, such as new struts, top of the line tires, etc? There is something to be said for a one owner car, there's an inherent advantage to knowing the complete history. I love driving a manual transmission car. If I bought a replacement used car, such as a Cadillac CTS with a stick, it would be full of unknowns to me.

Thoughts, comments, opinions requested.

Excessive oil consumptiion is determined by the manufacture. Since your oil consumption is just starting, bring the TL to the dealer and have this documented and see what the dealer determins what the next step will be. If they determine that you are not experiencing enough oil consumption for further action then I would change the PCV and go with the 5W30 that you mentioned just as a starting point. Others will chime in with other/better information.

Last edited:
Same thing Toyota has grudgingly done about the same stupid problem. If you're beyond the warranty, tough, and they won't give you a clue how to minimize risk of this happening.

Switching to 5W-30 will slow the consumption slightly.

Generally what they do is make sure the oil is at the full mark. Then they Seal the dipstick and drain plug and have you come back periodically for checks.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Does synthetic oil help with the ring coking? Or is this just going to happen no matter what with this engine.

That is a question I would like to know the answer to. Have used fully synthetic oil on all oil changes.

I think I would go about 6 months before your 8 year ownership mark and have it checked.

As others have said, topped up and dipstick and drain plug sealed.

Thank you. It's a honey of a car, so I will do some watchful waiting as they say in the medical profession.

I'd be curious if the dealer service department might have some opinions on what to do in regard to oil and valve guides etc. Clearly the mfg recommendations weren't based on this happening down the road. My experience is that engines use more oil on synthetic than conventional. Might want to try a semi-synthetic or high mileage oil.

Originally Posted by PeterGreen
I think the average person here would agree that a quart every 1000 miles is not excessive, even though it is for this particular individual car.

My 2008 Ford F150 w/4.6 has 182,000 miles and uses no oil at all in 7,000 miles.
Current fill is Mobil 1 AP 5W-20 (clearance from Autozone last year)

On your car, from now on (once a year), I would:

1) pull the plugs, add 4oz of pourable Berrynan's B-12 in each cylinder, let it soak for 6 hours, followed by
2) 4oz of Seafoam, soak for 6-8 hours, followed by
3) 4 oz of marvel mystery oil, soak for 6-8 hours

I know it might seem ridiculous, but it might keep your oil drainback holes from plugging.

Does synthetic oil help with the ring coking? Or is this just going to happen no matter what with this engine.
Good questions! Some people claim it's caused by not using synthetic, but others claim it has happened to them even with synthetic. Take your pick.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Run an oil change with this:

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/valvoline-877377/premium-blue-restore-10w30-gallon-p-vvl-877377

Can't tell if you are being serious or not recommending an oil made for diesels.

Thanks to all the other replies for helpful suggestions.

He's being serious. Its a special oil designed to clean rings. Sure, it was made for a certain diesel engine, but there are a few people on here running experiments with it and posting positive results.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Run an oil change with this:

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/valvoline-877377/premium-blue-restore-10w30-gallon-p-vvl-877377

Can't tell if you are being serious or not recommending an oil made for diesels.

He is serious..... but isn't that oil something like $70 A GALLON?!?

it's one of the very, very few engine oils out there that are proven to actually "clean" - but it is expensive

^^^^^^

Yep. Like Linctex said this was a helpful response.

The excessive oil consumption is for the dumb consumers who drive around three quarts low and don't check the oil, top it off, or change it because "my oil life still says 60%." Your one quart every 1500 miles is perfectly normal. It just means you have a little bit of wear. Keep it full and the engine will last a long time.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
The excessive oil consumption is for the dumb consumers who drive around three quarts low and don't check the oil, top it off, or change it because "my oil life still says 60%." Your one quart every 1500 miles is perfectly normal. It just means you have a little bit of wear. Keep it full and the engine will last a long time.
Except when it means you're unlucky enough to get a defectively designed or manufactured engine that will guzzle oil despite diligent maintenance.

2012 Acura TL AWD 3.7 technology package. I owned this car from new to 70k miles. I had always been a believer of Honda/Acura engineering and reliability. I faithfully changed the engine oil at 15% on the OLM using factory recommended synthetic 5w20 oil. Changed the differential fluid with Acura DPFS at recommended intervals and transmission fluid with DW1 fluid using drain and fill at 20k miles I always check the oil level at 1k intervals.

Despite this, the oil consumption went from 0 to 1 qt per 700 miles. Acura denied any issue for the longest time but finally recognized the defect and replaced the block and valve seals. Now , as I understand it, they only replace the rings. They did not address why it was happening.

Torque converter had problems and the rear differential failed. The later Acura would not repair or replace under warranty. I know, only a sample of one, but never again. Seems Honda and Acura have really slipped in reliability ratings.

Last edited:

Use of a quality synthetic of sufficient viscosity is key to preventing coking problems. Ring sealing and ring wear are affected by HTHS viscosity. Its good to remember excess blowby can cause coking with any oil.

This helps explain why some engines are just fine, right up until they start to consume oil. At which point consumption ramps up rapidly.

Low tension rings often fail to seal properly with very little wear. If the climate allows, a 10w-30 HM oil will likely help your Honda consume far less oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back