Home Depot Interview Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Honestly,if I were 18 again,I'd join the military in a heartbeat.

You and me both!

The answer to an inquiring or even irate customer is try to help them to a solution. Calling for the manager for every little thing doesn't build your people skills and ties up the mgr with minutia. But there will be exceptions where you are dealing with a complete nut job who just might get violent in the store. The mgr would appreciate knowing if something is headed that way. Approaching your job as if you're doing what the mgr would probably do shows initiative. But never keep them out of the loop when something is important. If in doubt....then you call them. I would always ask myself: "what would the boss want to see done in this situation, and when would he want to know about it immediately....or not at all?" Think like a boss....but don't usurp their authority and responsibility.

For the rat found in the rat trap? That requires a call to PETA.
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Langanobob
I don't know anything about you other than reading a few of your posts. You seem like a reasonable sort and I have a couple of questions for you.

Why do you want to work at Home Depot? Why don't you join the Navy, expand your horizons, have a great adventure serving your country, go to college and get an incredibly better job?

If they would let me go back into the Navy, I would do it in a millisecond. I'd only have to do 14 years to finish out my 20.

Apply for a job at Walmart TLE. You're on here so you must be interested in cars. And you won't be working up front as a cashier.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Apply for a job at Walmart TLE. You're on here so you must be interested in cars. And you won't be working up front as a cashier.

I've got an application turned in to them too. The big corporations want everything done online.

Originally Posted by das_peikko

One of the questions goes something like this:
If you find yourself in a situation where a customer is angry or irate, what do you do?

It probably wouldn't get me the job, but I'd be very tempted to tell the interviewer, "I'll handle the situation however Home Depot would like me to. How would Home Depot like me to handle such a situation?"

Originally Posted by Leo99

It's not the just answer to the question. The one or two sentence answers are not sufficient. You have to talk a lot during the interview. The company needs to get to know you. The answers, even if correct, have to sound genuine. Just answering questions and being boring is going to make you someone wants to work with.

That's true. There's various questions interviewers ask that seem dumb, and are dumb, but for many of those questions, the specific answers are irrelevant. It's more about seeing how well you communicate, if you can think on your feet when a surprising situation comes up, etc. It's more about how you answer than about what you answer.

An interviewer doesn't actually care what kind of animal you'd like to be. Well, they might if you say you want to be a T-Rex for the reason that they don't have to listen to anybody and just go around killing everything.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Remember, in any company, their mindset is "the company first". You're not there to grow and progress your career, you are there to progress the goal of the company.

That's not true. We want to hire people that can grow 2 levels. Not top out at the level they're being hired. The company won't grow if the people don't grow.

It's not the just answer to the question. The one or two sentence answers are not sufficient. You have to talk a lot during the interview. The company needs to get to know you. The answers, even if correct, have to sound genuine. Just answering questions and being boring is going to make you someone wants to work with.

That IS true. I have been both interviewed, and I have interviewed others.2 things always stuck out. One was 'would you compromise safety to getting job done" and the other was "What skills do you have""

The first answer was always 'No", the second answer was always "I have the skills needed to progress the company forward"

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I wonder if their test is as stupid as the one AAP was using. I had nothing to do a few years back while sitting home with the flu, I somehow stumbled upon it online and read through it for a little while. I couldn't believe people would waste their time filling it out for what AAP pays.

That's pretty much the same situation for any retail job.

And before anyone says Costco, they also only hire part time and want a very flexible schedule. It took a friend's daughter 7 years to become full-time and she didn't have a regular schedule.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by Langanobob
I don't know anything about you other than reading a few of your posts. You seem like a reasonable sort and I have a couple of questions for you.

Why do you want to work at Home Depot? Why don't you join the Navy, expand your horizons, have a great adventure serving your country, go to college and get an incredibly better job?

If they would let me go back into the Navy, I would do it in a millisecond. I'd only have to do 14 years to finish out my 20.

What did you do in the military ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
And before anyone says Costco, they also only hire part time and want a very flexible schedule. It took a friend's daughter 7 years to become full-time and she didn't have a regular schedule.

I read your comment just as I was just going to input that Costco gets rave reviews for having a good employee infrastructure. It must vary from store to store. My son went to work for Costco for a break after getting burned out on his regular career. Just there one year, he recently told me that they have been cross training him and he expects to move into a higher position soon. I know that he puts in extra effort as is often required to climb to the next rung. Another person I know with a Phd. worked at Lowes for about a year during an adjustment period in his life (he's now in a university undergrad advisor position using his Phd.). He said that he could have moved up to a very well paying position in Lowes very quickly if he wanted too. Again, it must vary within stores, regions, and individuals.

Regarding the interview questions, they are looking for confidence and other personal skills. A firm handshake, look them in the eye on occasion, and good posture go a long way. Practice answering questions that you might struggle with in a way that shows you can take in information, process it, and move to a reasonable action. You don't need to know everything. They want to see if you can think on your own. It's o.k. to occasionally say "I don't have experience with that situation, BUT.........this is how I would handle it. Calculated candor sometimes trumps know-it-all attitude. Yes, practice answering questions that you are not competent in by showing confidence.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
That's pretty much the same situation for any retail job.

Walmart pays a couple dollars more per hour than the discount auto parts, and will give you more hours, but no one gets full time until they make manager, except for a couple months of overtime at Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back