PP Euro 5W-40 reformulated; now SN+, no more Ferrari

The legendary "Ferrari" oil, PP Euro 5W-40 has been reformulated. It now meets SN+ and specifically states it's suitable for modern TGDIs and provides LSPI protection. It has however lost Ferrari/Maserati approval, and the specs have changed a little.

New PDS:
https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/89db797b-d00c-4b95-8e28-cb5ffd24705f.pdf

Old PDS (still available for now):
https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/0e00e77c-82e8-4754-a5d8-996047cd951b.pdf

We'll see if the 12 quarts I just purchased are the new or old formula. Both are LL-01 approved so I don't care much one way or the other.

I'm interested to see how the additive formula has changed. This is the first A3/B4 "euro" oil that meets SN+ and could be a game changer for those with high HP TGDI engines that want something thicker than what your typical GF-5 oil offers.

Wow I hope that is a trend we will see more of. I would use that in my Passat in a heartbeat. The KV100 is very low for a 40 grade. Interesting.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Wow I hope that is a trend we will see more of. I would use that in my Passat in a heartbeat. The KV100 is very low for a 40 grade. Interesting.

Same. This would be perfect for our small TGDI that requires LL-01 but suffers from LSPI.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Wait, GTL and Pour Point is -36???? [censored]?

They're using a heavier GTL basestock with less VII. Assuming similar HTHS, this is evidenced by the higher density and higher A_Harman index.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

They're using a heavier GTL basestock with less VII.

This to me looks like pushing boundaries of how cheap they can get away with.

Has anyone seen this SN+ 5W-40 yet? I've still been getting the silver bottles up until this last week, where I finally got some yellow bottles. They're SN with the Ferrari badge on the front.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Has anyone seen this SN+ 5W-40 yet? I've still been getting the silver bottles up until this last week, where I finally got some yellow bottles. They're SN with the Ferrari badge on the front.

It'll probably take time. It's not a very fast moving product.

It still has LL-01, 229.5 and A40 approval. I wouldn't make a sweeping statement like that based on a single number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

It'll probably take time. It's not a very fast moving product.

Suspect you're right. How long have the silver bottles been discontinued? And I just bought some last fall.

It still has LL-01, 229.5 and A40 approval. I wouldn't make a sweeping statement like that based on a single number.

Their cst went down to 12.8, and they are not posting HTHS, which I highly doubt is above 3.6, if that.
There was Ultra GTL version for short period of time with HTHS of 3.88 (which they proudly posted back then) and NOACK of 6% (which they also proudly posted).
Now? Both numbers are gone.

It's PAO that has the wickedly low pour point due to it having no wax in it. Since GTL is still a waxy base it requires PPD's to prevent crystal formation, so if they are using a heavier GTL base, as posited by another member, the less than stellar pour point (1C below the MRV temperature for the 5w-xx designation) then makes sense.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It's PAO that has the wickedly low pour point due to it having no wax in it. Since GTL is still a waxy base it requires PPD's to prevent crystal formation, so if they are using a heavier GTL base, as posited by another member, the less than stellar pour point (1C below the MRV temperature for the 5w-xx designation) then makes sense.

Sure, not disputing that, but why? Numbers are on par with 5W30, and wondering about NOACK. PP Euro L has 11%. Not something to brag about.

Sure, not disputing that, but why? Numbers are on par with 5W30, and wondering about NOACK. PP Euro L has 11%. Not something to brag about.

MB 229.51 (and 229.5 and 229.52) has Noack limit of 10%

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf

I know, PP Euro L pds at one point was showing 11%, and had MB229.51. How? Beats me. But, granted, Pennzoil and accurate pds is not something that goes together in sentence. It could be also that that -36 should have designation "min." Like Castrol, that puts on pds HTHS: 3.5 min.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

This happened to a number of product when the original Pennzoil Ultra product line was transformed into "Ultra Platinum"
21.gif
I don't know why, as it certainly didn't seem to be something one could describe as "progress".

I like the new SN+ cert, and the fact that its kv100 is so close to being a thick 5w30 (hths about 3.5 here), I think you can use it in about any 5w30 application around, either German or non-German engines out there. I'd probably only recommend it for 5w30 hths 3.0 applications when fuel dilution is suspected or towing-hauling happens. Rotella Gas Truck is a recent good one too, yet this Pennz 5w40 is better for severe duty.

Last edited:
Back