Home Depot Interview Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a long shot, but are there any Home Depot assistant managers on this forum?

What are the correct answers to the scripted interview questions?

I've been through two separate store interviews within the last three weeks at to separate stores; and apparently, I haven't had the correct answers. I wish I could remember the questions, but stress has wiped them out of my memory.

One of the questions goes something like this:
If you find yourself in a situation where a customer is angry or irate, what do you do?

Answer- try to make them calm & happy, if is beyond your power, call a manager. Home Depot is so afraid of losing a customer they will bend the rules. Do not try to win the argument, I know people at hd that have been there years, and thats how they do it.

What was your response? Mine would be understanding the customers issue and trying to identify a solution.

Forgot to ask- what position are you going after- if it's entry, part time around here they will take anyone that passes the drug test. Turnover among new hires is high as you don't get many hours and the schedule is what it is.

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
What was your response? Mine would be understanding the customers issue and trying to identify a solution.

My response was to notify a manager; maybe that's why I didn't get hired.

Do you remember any others?

Yes, one question was --- "Give us an example of when you had to work with a team to complete a task."

I wonder if their test is as stupid as the one AAP was using. I had nothing to do a few years back while sitting home with the flu, I somehow stumbled upon it online and read through it for a little while. I couldn't believe people would waste their time filling it out for what AAP pays.

Originally Posted by das_peikko

My response was to notify a manager; maybe that's why I didn't get hired.

Answer with you think not what they want to hear. If that is the answer you thought they wanted to heat definitely not a great fit. Good luck

My response was to notify a manager; maybe that's why I didn't get hired
You would have been hired on the spot at walmart

Here is another question for you. What would you do if a customer wants to return a rat trap because it does not work? You pick up the rat trap and feel a rat moving inside the trap. Do not ask how I know.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
This is going to be a long shot, but are there any Home Depot assistant managers on this forum?

What are the correct answers to the scripted interview questions?

I've been through two separate store interviews within the last three weeks at to separate stores; and apparently, I haven't had the correct answers. I wish I could remember the questions, but stress has wiped them out of my memory.

One of the questions goes something like this:
If you find yourself in a situation where a customer is angry or irate, what do you do?

Calling the manager is the wrong answer for a 'customer service oriented job'.

The right answer is one that proves you can assess the situation, fix the problem, and have both the customer and the employer come out on top.

So basically before you go to your next interview you have to act like you are the store manager and act like you are going to handle everything yourself.

For the teamwork questions.. you talk about communication, listening, and helping to solve problems.

Just imagine you are a superhero or robot that is just there to help and do a good job for the company and everyone that walks thru the door asks for you to help them.. thats the guy they want to hire.

I don't know anything about you other than reading a few of your posts. You seem like a reasonable sort and I have a couple of questions for you.

Why do you want to work at Home Depot? Why don't you join the Navy, expand your horizons, have a great adventure serving your country, go to college and get an incredibly better job?

Just say most arguments are the result of a misunderstanding, and you'd work with the angry customer (co-worker) to find out what the real issue is, and where the common ground is.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123
Here is another question for you. What would you do if a customer wants to return a rat trap because it does not work? You pick up the rat trap and feel a rat moving inside the trap. Do not ask how I know.

How did that end up. My instinct is to call the police for attempted theft, but I know that is wrong.

Rod

Remember, in any company, their mindset is "the company first". You're not there to grow and progress your career, you are there to progress the goal of the company.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Remember, in any company, their mindset is "the company first". You're not there to grow and progress your career, you are there to progress the goal of the company.

That's not true. We want to hire people that can grow 2 levels. Not top out at the level they're being hired. The company won't grow if the people don't grow.

It's not the just answer to the question. The one or two sentence answers are not sufficient. You have to talk a lot during the interview. The company needs to get to know you. The answers, even if correct, have to sound genuine. Just answering questions and being boring is going to make you someone wants to work with.

At Walmart, even though this wasn't really part of the interview, the most important criterion was whether the applicant would show up for their shift, any day or time assigned. As soon as anyone said anything to indicate they wouldn't be available at certain times, or wouldn't be 100% reliable (family obligations etc.), they were out. Next!

Originally Posted by Langanobob
I don't know anything about you other than reading a few of your posts. You seem like a reasonable sort and I have a couple of questions for you.

Why do you want to work at Home Depot? Why don't you join the Navy, expand your horizons, have a great adventure serving your country, go to college and get an incredibly better job?

best post all day...

Originally Posted by Langanobob

Both require a large commitment without any guarantees of employment after. College is expensive and the market is saturated with grads depending on what you study, and the military is not for everyone. I would concentrate on getting a job and holding it so you can pay bills and have the resources to make moves, no matter what job it is. Getting in with larger companies could also help you pay for school, or get experience that could help you down the line.

I'd suggest trade school over college in 2019, you will for sure get a good job with benefits if you are a dedicated plumber, HVAC or electrician. There are no guarantees with a college degree anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back