This week has been fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, to add to my thread about the accident with my Volt:

I went last night to pick up my Cadillac from the friend that was borrowing it, as the Volt is in no shape to drive. When I picked it up, it had a Low Coolant message, a Check Oil Level message, and absolutely NO gas in it. I was annoyed, but what can you do. I grabbed 3 quarts of oil, gas, and coolant at the station before I headed back home (she lives ~50 minutes away from me). I know it burns oil, so that's fine. The low coolant message bothered me because I had just installed a new surge tank before giving it to her.

Well, as it turns out, fixing the leak in the surge tank allowed the system to finally reach true pressure. Apparently, the 15 year old radiator didn't care for that abuse and decided to blow one of it's side tanks. SUCH a wonderful thing to deal with, after the weeks events.

Anyways - I took the opportunity to do some other work, since I had things apart anyways. I ordered a new thermostat along with the radiator, as I was getting slow warm-ups and a P0128 code. I also took the opportunity to install my new Osram CBI D1S bulbs, as the headlights had to be removed for the radiator replacement. All in all, $150 and an hour's time. I discovered some hilarity while I was in there: the cooling fans weren't bolted in, the A/C condenser was missing a bolt, and the hood latch support was missing a bolt. Odd, considering the radiator was original (it had the date stamp on it). I assume it was all done during the sloppy engine replacement.

The rest of the evening is going to be spent enjoying an adult beverage and going to sleep early. I've had quite enough of this week.

Sorry man, hope you sort things out
thumbsup2.gif

I saw the same exact thing when I went to town with my wife, I went with her, her car, so she drives. I normally make her drive her car, I drive mine when we go some place in one of my cars.

Anyways, 2006 Cadillac STS, I see dash lights flashing, Check Coolant, Check Oil, The gas gauge is almost always on E, that car sucks fuel and has a small tank. I asked her about the lights on the dash, "How long have those lights been flashing"? She replies, couple weeks, it say "Check" So it must not be super urgent!

Hmm, "Me", no reply....I check it when we get home, 3.5 qt oil, 1.5 pint coolant, we had to put gas in it to go to town. She has been wanting a new car, she just hasn't been able to make up her mind. Guess she is trying to Kill the Cadi....

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Lending your #2 car out when your #1 is broken? That's generous!

Low coolant lights crank my anxiety to 11.

To be fair, the #1 car wasn't broken when I loaned out #2, she had already had the Cadillac a couple weeks.

This reminds me when we had an ice storm when I was growing up.
Initially, we didn't lose our power but many people did. My dad loaned out his generator and of course that's when we lost our power.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I saw the same exact thing when I went to town with my wife, I went with her, her car, so she drives. I normally make her drive her car, I drive mine when we go some place in one of my cars.

Anyways, 2006 Cadillac STS, I see dash lights flashing, Check Coolant, Check Oil, The gas gauge is almost always on E, that car sucks fuel and has a small tank. I asked her about the lights on the dash, "How long have those lights been flashing"? She replies, couple weeks, it say "Check" So it must not be super urgent!

Hmm, "Me", no reply....I check it when we get home, 3.5 qt oil, 1.5 pint coolant, we had to put gas in it to go to town. She has been wanting a new car, she just hasn't been able to make up her mind. Guess she is trying to Kill the Cadi....

I hope she buys her own car with her own money. Just saying.

Rod

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Lending your #2 car out when your #1 is broken? That's generous!

Low coolant lights crank my anxiety to 11.

Haha, when you're a Northstar owner, a low coolant light puckers you to at least 25.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
So, to add to my thread about the accident with my Volt:

I went last night to pick up my Cadillac from the friend that was borrowing it, as the Volt is in no shape to drive. When I picked it up, it had a Low Coolant message, a Check Oil Level message, and absolutely NO gas in it. I was annoyed, but what can you do. I grabbed 3 quarts of oil, gas, and coolant at the station before I headed back home (she lives ~50 minutes away from me). I know it burns oil, so that's fine. The low coolant message bothered me because I had just installed a new surge tank before giving it to her.

Well, as it turns out, fixing the leak in the surge tank allowed the system to finally reach true pressure. Apparently, the 15 year old radiator didn't care for that abuse and decided to blow one of it's side tanks. SUCH a wonderful thing to deal with, after the weeks events.

Anyways - I took the opportunity to do some other work, since I had things apart anyways. I ordered a new thermostat along with the radiator, as I was getting slow warm-ups and a P0128 code. I also took the opportunity to install my new Osram CBI D1S bulbs, as the headlights had to be removed for the radiator replacement. All in all, $150 and an hour's time. I discovered some hilarity while I was in there: the cooling fans weren't bolted in, the A/C condenser was missing a bolt, and the hood latch support was missing a bolt. Odd, considering the radiator was original (it had the date stamp on it). I assume it was all done during the sloppy engine replacement.

The rest of the evening is going to be spent enjoying an adult beverage and going to sleep early. I've had quite enough of this week.

I hear that. I just had to replace the O2 sensor in the Camry. The one in the man o verter so it was easy.
Things always get better so keep your head up and stay positive
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back