First time ever didnt do my own oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Company vehicle, 2006 Chevrolet Express 2500 with 293,000 miles and it was time for the 5k oci and I just didnt feel like dealing with it today so I pulled into a Fast Change Lube and had it done.
Guy started his standard speech and I said please just change the oil I have a 6 hour round trip ahead and I need to go.
I opted for the $28.99 semi synthetic and they got me out really fast and even topped up all the fluids.

Van ran really quiet and at my first stop I really looked at the receipt out of curiosity and it said 5w-30 Phillips 66 semi synthetic oil, never heard of it and I thought unusual as every square inch of the place was plastered with pennzoil signage.
Any ideas about this oil? Not that it will be around long as I log 12 to 1500 miles most weeks.

Been using it for a long, long time. I get it from a midwest farm store, Orscheln's, when it is on sale. My Hyundai Santa Fe (65K mi) and 95 F350 (137K mi) both run well on it.

Happy to hear that you had a good OC experience. There are good shops out there. Sounds like you may have found one.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
"Forgive me BITOG, for I hath sinned"

It almost feels like it lol. Just been raining too much.

$28.99 for servicing a vehicle is pretty good deal, couldn't do it at home any cheaper.

$19.22 for 5qt jug of Motorcraft 5w30
$6 for filter
$3 for windshield washer fluid
$20 for an hour of my time.

This doesn't include any other fluids and not having to worry about disposing of the old oil and filter.

Originally Posted by WillB
Phillips Coneco sells a good product - Id be more worried about going to a quick lube. Did they put Dexicool in it? They are known for using the cheap green Prestone.

I didn't know Prestone has two levels of Green.
I gotta' go tell the South Koreans that. They used Green in my $30K Hyundai when made.
How dare they......... lol

Who is this Cone Co? Is that where Mr. Phillips works?...... hahahaha

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbias
out of curiosity and it said 5w-30 Phillips 66 semi synthetic oil, never heard of it

Conoco-Phillips 66 is more of a midwest brand and is popular here. While they make oils for about every category, their biggest seller is Shield Choice (formerly TropArtic) and is currently on sale for $1.99/quart at a local farm chain here that is called Orschelns. Local WalMart stores used to sell TropArtic, but it cut into their house-branded oils, so the oil from dropped from their shelves. Conoco-Phillips 66 also makes many other famous brands, such as Motorcraft and Kendall.
Don't worry about the quality of the oil that they put into your vehicle.

The old green Ethylene glycol that i was referring to is not used in todays vehicles, yet people still buy it thinking antifreze is antifreeze. It is not - the old green has to be changed every 30,000 miles. The van I quoted runs Dex which cannot be mixed the old school prestone. That is what the quick lubes use to top up.

Chances are that your korean car DOES NOT use nor spec the old green sludge. In fact I'd be willing to bet that Hyundai specs silicate free just like the Japanese do,

As for my spelling mistake on Conoco, since you seemed to give a childish reply instead of a correction to that error, shall I treat you like a child from this point on?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Phillips Coneco sells a good product - Id be more worried about going to a quick lube. Did they put Dexicool in it? They are known for using the cheap green Prestone.

I gotta' go tell the South Koreans that. They used Green in my $30K Hyundai when made.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back