Rotella T6 15w40 not 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JAG
It being a full synthetic 15W-40 indicates to me that it most likely has thicker base oil mix than the 5W-40 version does, which naturally gives it a higher flashpoint, lower volatility, and less VIIs. Less VIIs will give it more shear stability, assuming they use the same type of VIIs.

I don't buy that explanation. If you look at Delo or Delvac synthetic 15W40, the flash point is no where near 249C. So something other than a thicker base is going on here.

Originally Posted by Best F100
Originally Posted by JAG
It being a full synthetic 15W-40 indicates to me that it most likely has thicker base oil mix than the 5W-40 version does, which naturally gives it a higher flashpoint, lower volatility, and less VIIs. Less VIIs will give it more shear stability, assuming they use the same type of VIIs.

I don't buy that explanation. If you look at Delo or Delvac synthetic 15W40, the flash point is no where near 249C. So something other than a thicker base is going on here.

Do they use the same ASTM method? There are two, and one is always higher than the other. Can't remember which is which.

Not available at vendors in my area (Advance/Walmart/O'Reilly) either
frown.gif

I saw it today (T6 15w-40) at the Wal-Mart in Oxford, MS. I see it says on the front label that it causes lower oil consumption. Shell must have had some complaints with the 5w-40 for excess oil consumption due to it's 5w at startup. I also see it still maintains a JASO MA/MA2 rating along with all of the diesel ratings of the other weights of T6.

Last edited:
I wont hold out any hope, its not even listed on the website! Geez.
One way to market an oil is "less oil consumption" then the 5w40. Well, yeah, a 15/40 most likely will give lower consumption.
Rotella 5/40 in general is a shear monster compared to the 15/40 in motorcycles, which gives one doubts about heavy duty vehicles.

I wouldnt use T6 5/40 in anything, I would consider the 15/40 T6 for sure, if it can be found.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be widely available soon, at least at Wal-Mart, if we be patient. I'm excited for it. Before this the only Full Synthetic 15w40's were (pretty much) bottom barrel Sinopec and Milesyn and boutique Amsoil and Redline. Now we have an affordable middle option that's the big brother to RT6 5w40 one of the most popular and trusted oils on BITOG in the ranks with GC and PYB.
thumbsup2.gif

The fact that it IS available at a select few places and NOT on the Rotella website is weird. Probably some kind of marketing test before full roll out ?

Local Walmart now has it in gallon jug for $22.47 but couldn't resist the M1 4T 10w40 on sale for $5/qt ..
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need a 50 in my bike for sure but if Walmart here in the Southeast stocks it, I would strongly consider the 15/40 in my boat. Honestly if I had a metric bike, (which I have in the past) I would prefer the 15/40 Rotella Syn over the Mobile 1.

Right now I plan to use the same oil in the boat as the bike simply because I still have gallons of it. Mystik 15/50.

With all the above said, again, Walmart is not a reliable long term provider of any product so even if they carry it, I still hope others do too, so we know it will be around more then a year.
Its not easy finding 15/40 oils with the claims the new Rotella has and to me, 5/40 anything in a bike or a boat is just plain wrong.

With my current bike, its almost the same situation, in the USA I am limited to the number of reasonably priced 15/50 or 20/50 diesel motor oils. However the current oil is working great. But still ... *L* for fun, sometimes you wish their were more choices.

The 15w40 Rotella is a first (that I know of) in a full synthetic. (if in fact its a full synthetic)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I need a 50 in my bike for sure but if Walmart here in the Southeast stocks it, I would strongly consider the 15/40 in my boat. Honestly if I had a metric bike, (which I have in the past) I would prefer the 15/40 Rotella Syn over the Mobile 1.

Right now I plan to use the same oil in the boat as the bike simply because I still have gallons of it. Mystik 15/50.

With all the above said, again, Walmart is not a reliable long term provider of any product so even if they carry it, I still hope others do too, so we know it will be around more then a year.
Its not easy finding 15/40 oils with the claims the new Rotella has and to me, 5/40 anything in a bike or a boat is just plain wrong.

With my current bike, its almost the same situation, in the USA I am limited to the number of reasonably priced 15/50 or 20/50 diesel motor oils. However the current oil is working great. But still ... *L* for fun, sometimes you wish their were more choices.

The 15w40 Rotella is a first (that I know of) in a full synthetic. (if in fact its a full synthetic)

You only need a 50W in that Harley to keep the thing from "bleeding" to death every time it sets...
smile.gif
You'd think they (HD) would have that figured out by now in those antiquated rattle traps...

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by alarmguy
...)

You only need a 50W in that Harley to keep the thing from "bleeding" to death every time it sets...
smile.gif
You'd think they (HD) would have that figured out by now in those antiquated rattle traps...

Obviously you have not owned a Harley in the last decade much like some people might have commented about the Ford model T decades ago.
:eek:)

Honestly, the Road King has even surprised me, going on 5 years old now, 24,000 miles and has not needed 1 repair since I bought it brand new in the Summer of 2014. Bike still runs like new, not a wet spot on the engine or tranny = no leaks.

Having owned Metric bikes before this Harley I can tell you, the Harley blows them away, I had more much more expensive maintenance with the metrics.
Except for maybe one or two metrics in the same price range, no other bike can cruise at a TRUE 80 MPH GPS effortlessly, quietly and smoothly for hours at a time. None, zip. Im qualified to say, I owned them vs typical meaningless internet chatter in forums of all places.

The reason I mention true GPS MPH is many metric bikes inflate the actual speed by a full 10% on the speedo.
Meaning the rider thinks he is doing 80 but true speed is 73 MPH.

Last edited:
Just got a bottle of this and a quart of the supertech 10w-40 motorcycle oil synthetic

Originally Posted by ad244
Just got a bottle of this and a quart of the supertech 10w-40 motorcycle oil synthetic

SuperTech syn MC oil???

Yes, Mobil 1 10W40 4T is a tremendous oil, I have a thread on it from use in my ZRX1200. I would use it for the clearance price vs the Rotella until I see an analysis of the Rotella. Now to see a virgin analysis or UOA of the T6 15w40...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
Originally Posted by ad244

SuperTech syn MC oil???

Yes, Mobil 1 10W40 4T is a tremendous oil, I have a thread on it from use in my ZRX1200. I would use it for the clearance price vs the Rotella until I see an analysis of the Rotella. Now to see a virgin analysis or UOA of the T6 15w40...

Yep! - I'll see about getting a pic of the bottle. I thought it was weird too. They also had 20w-50.

T6 15w-40 is MA2 rated as well by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back