Amsoil or RedLine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Hemi 5.7. MDS disabled and have used both AMSOIL Signature Series and Redline. 5W-30 for both. I honestly couldn't tell one from the other. The AMSOIL did fantastic job and the redline did to. The rest of this is JUST MY OPINION. I feel modern V8's need a stout oil to do the job required. You have VVT and fuel economy your trying to accomplish with a oil. I feel using a oil like AMSOIL and Redline protect the more complex modern V8. I personally use the AMSOIL from November-April due to how well it's cold pumpabilty is and I use the Redline May-October. Im not a triboligist or claim to have any proof but my whole goal is the same as every other person on this site, to get as many miles possible while keeping the engine to littlest engine wear possible. We all want our engines to have the same power it had the day it rolled off the line. I think the reason we all share what we do is because we take care of our engines. Not a bad thing. I also got over 400,000 miles out of my 96 Ford ranger 2.5 with strictly using Castrol High mileage and the basic Fram PH8A. Get a oil you like and use it and leave it. Life Is short and your not taking it with you.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Both are overkill for your engine. Run whatever's on sale at Walmart!

Best sales are generally always what's cheapest and within spec at Walmart. Yet you don't show any (like Supertech) in your signature and 'Yet' recommend buying sale (cheapest) oils.

Why dost thou talk out of thy side of thy mouth?

Originally Posted by WillB
Both are top notch oils - either if you have them available.

Amsoil here - no Redline available locally.

But can they remain top-notch oils, iof they need to someday conform to SN Plus and Dexos1Gen2? That would require them to offer weaker add-packs..... right? If they add/beef their base oils, isn't more PAO frowned upon by LSPI doctors? Aren't 50% of vehicles made today TGDI/GDIs? So how do the boutique oil manufacturers stay far ahead of norms like Pennzoil, Valvoline and Castrol.... among others and meet SN Plus Dexos1Gen2??

IF Red Line offered a (MUCH) reduced calcium (and sodium), much greater magnesium content oil, within my needed HTHSV spec range (but all else being equal with their current add packs/base oils), I would use it in a heartbeat, despite it not being D1G2/Ford 945B 'certified'.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Ian1982
Hey guys, prepping for my next OC. Going with either Redline 5w-30 or Amsoil SS 5w-30 .2013 GMC with 5.3 LC9. Whatcha guys got? Thank you in advance

I think these oils are meant for two different usage patterns. Redline is more for high temperature wear protection. AMSoil SS is more for long drain intervals. I have run Redline many times up to 8000 miles, and it does fine. AMSoil is more for 15,000 mile drain intervals. What more suits your needs?

How many miles on your truck?
Do you tow or haul heavy very often?

Originally Posted by jongies3
Both are overkill for your engine. Run whatever's on sale at Walmart!

The OP had to repeat what his two options were at the top of page 3 and still you insist on Walmart choices!
Ian, go with Amsoil Signature series for a daily driver.

Nobody here ever talks about the science anymore, not even the basics, rather funny. What is modern Amsoil SS? Low viscosity, low additive oil made for di turbo's. What is redline, high viscosity high additive oil made for older style v8's or over built high taching non di engines. Go to Ram forum, the log term uoa's on redline have been as good as anything. Not knocking Amsoil, it is what it is, it is an oil built or should I say re-formulated for modern engines, but the hemi is far from a modern engine. If you believe in one oil can satisfy every application, then go for amsoil. BTW, ram forum top 4 oils used, Pennzoil number one, m1 number two despite not having or recomending it for the ms6395 spec, amsoil, and 4th is redline 5w30. People that have hemi tick over there bar far choose redline, w/o hemi tick Pennzoil PUP/PP is tops.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
IF Red Line offered a (MUCH) reduced calcium (and sodium), much greater magnesium content oil, within my needed HTHSV spec range (but all else being equal with their current add packs/base oils), I would use it in a heartbeat, despite it not being D1G2/Ford 945B 'certified'.
wink.gif

Yes, I am very disapointed they don't make a lineup that is di sn+ friendly. They got on board with low ash with their newest oils, but still left the largest part of the market out of their formula with this bad decision. Your right, if they had low calc/high mag with that zddp/moly ester/pao package, that would be the darndest oil around. 50% or better is going di, I can't believe they havem't made the switch, they loose nothing by doing so. very disapointed for folks have a di

I don't know if this has been posted before. They talk about polymeric thickeners about halfway through. For a modern daily driver I'd use Amsoil. Redline should keep the Ester/PAO formula as is, but make a more modern additive package that doesn't have the ZDP/Ca levels and overall higher SA. I wouldn't use this oil due to the LSPI issues.

Originally Posted by Pablo
Originally Posted by LotI
Hmmm...a renowned pyramid scheme company or a major corporation?

Tough one.

If it were me I would find a D1G2 oil and stop.

"renowned pyramid scheme company" ?

Really. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. Why would anyone believe you?

To the OP, if you are not planning an extended OCI, Amsoil OE or XL line will be just fine. Don't let others talk you out of any motor oil if they just spew made up rubbish.

Dear Pablo,

Quick question:

My car calls for VW502 00, OCI: 1 year / (15000KM)
Would it be OK to use Amsoil SS 5W-30?
PS: UOA is relatively high price in my country ( ~75~80 USD)

Many thanks.

David

Originally Posted by aleneros

Dear Pablo,

Quick question:

Many thanks.

David

What car? What year? How many miles?

Amsoil has been good for me in the last decade I have been using it. Allowing me to go further between oil changes with the massive amounts of miles I drive weekly. 300K miles on my Santa Fe with 0 consumption when a defective camshaft let go. So they know what they are doing compared to other brands. If you decide to go that route you can use it with confidence.

I've got it in our families vehicles as well along with the ATF's.

It's up to you, just wanted to share my experience with the product.

Last edited:

Dear Pablo,

Quick question:

Many thanks.

David

It's a 2017 Skoda Kodiaq (26XXX KM so far).

(gasoline EA888 gen3b. 2.0L, Same as 2018 VW New Tiguan)

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170523-tiguan.html

Dear Pablo,Quick question:My car calls for VW502 00, OCI: 1 year / (15000KM)Would it be OK to use Amsoil SS 5W-30? PS: UOA is relatively high price in my country ( ~75~80 USD)Many thanks. David
It's a 2017 Skoda Kodiaq (26XXX KM so far). (gasoline EA888 gen3b. 2.0L, Same as 2018 VW New Tiguan)https://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170523-tiguan.html

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf
and pick the 0w-40 one, preferably. You could pick any one of them.
Amsoil SS 5w-30 has an HTHS that volkswagen says is too low. VW 502 says you need an HTHS 3.5 or greater.

Last edited:
The HTHS numbers are higher on the Amsoil XL / OE series oils and they are less expensive. Just in case you want to add that for consideration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back