Not sure why my internet is slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked on an IT Help Desk for a couple years until recently, which I still support them in my current position.

You ever watch House M.D. on TV? I use his quote all the time: "Everybody lies".
I'd get calls all the time from people (we supported fellow coworkers) saying their computer was slow, or some programs wouldn't work etc. and they'd always say "I've already restarted 3 times", then I'd check Task Manager and it would always say at least a week, sometimes a month or more. Everybody lies. Or I'd restart it anyways and then it'd say "Others are still logged into this PC..." yeah right you just restarted it... Everybody lies. Sometimes there'd be 6-7 user accounts logged in all at the same time, because everybody on night crews and weekend crews just Lock the computer.

It turns out, computers get pretty [censored] off if you haven't rebooted in a while.

I'd also like to add, in my experience Windows 10 task manager often lies about the "up time". It would say on computers that the up time was a week, when I knew for a fact they were rebooted within a day or so. Windows 7 is always spot on though.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I need to figure out how to stop this auto reboot thing.

I posted in another thread...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-rebooting-after-installing-updates

So, umm... when I right-click on the "Reboot" task, there is no "Disable" option.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. These instructions are not very good. They skipped some steps and/or included the wrong screenshots.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I worked on an IT Help Desk for a couple years until recently, which I still support them in my current position.

You ever watch House M.D. on TV? I use his quote all the time: "Everybody lies".
I'd get calls all the time from people (we supported fellow coworkers) saying their computer was slow, or some programs wouldn't work etc. and they'd always say "I've already restarted 3 times", then I'd check Task Manager and it would always say at least a week, sometimes a month or more. Everybody lies. Or I'd restart it anyways and then it'd say "Others are still logged into this PC..." yeah right you just restarted it... Everybody lies. Sometimes there'd be 6-7 user accounts logged in all at the same time, because everybody on night crews and weekend crews just Lock the computer.

It turns out, computers get pretty [censored] off if you haven't rebooted in a while.

I'd also like to add, in my experience Windows 10 task manager often lies about the "up time". It would say on computers that the up time was a week, when I knew for a fact they were rebooted within a day or so. Windows 7 is always spot on though.

It's quite possible it has been 23 days since rebooting. I leave my Laptop on at home all the time when not in use and it just sleeps the display. I do it so I can get into it with Remote Access from work/the-road. I'll keep an eye on the actual time to see if mine is fibbing.

As for "I rebooted it 3 times", I get why some folks say that because they are tired of tech support telling them to try the obvious first and usually it's Internet Companies. "Un plug your modem for 15 minutes, then power it back on) and it usually takes multiple representatives before they listen to your actual problem. I had this issue with my DSL internet, it was a more advanced problem and every higher up representative I got passed to wanted me to unplug it for 15 minutes and call them back if it was still a problem even though I told them (and actually did reboot the modem before calling).

"Listen to me, I've already done that and I'm not dropping the I.P. address when my problem occurs, but my internet speed drops all the way down to nothing for up to a few seconds up to a few minutes and then resumes.
During this time I have no errors logged on my routers main page (part of the modem)" and Signal to Noise ratio remains unchanged as reported by the modem. Response: Ok try un-plugging it for 15 minutes and call us back.
mad.gif

Then I got passed to Bell Canada who owns the infrastructure that the ISP was providing service on when they realized it was a more advanced problem. First thing out of that higher level support. "Try un-plugging the modem for 15 minutes and call us back at this number. Here is my extension to get back to me" It's enough to make you want to drink.
mad.gif

I got fed up after a year of trying to get this intermittent issue resolved and switched to Gigabit Cable internet in my neighborhood which used to be a problem a few years back but they have since upgraded the network and my other neighbours seem happy with it. WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE THIS WAY?
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wwillson
The server we just moved from had an uptime of about 800 days. Give Linux a try :)

Many years ago, I had a desktop PC running Mandrake Linux. When I moved from my apartment to my house, I had to shut it down, and just before I did, I check its uptime. Nearly 3 full years. Still worked great.

I do love Linux.

The server we just moved from had an uptime of about 800 days. Give Linux a try :)
Depends on the version of Linux, I suppose. I've got Ubuntu on one of the machines and it asks you to reboot after installing some updates, maybe once a month or so.

I thought it was just user error.
Trolling.gif

J/K

I've had that happen occasionally. Figured Microsoft just messed up something with an update. Reboot fixes it

Originally Posted by StevieC

lol.gif
It's a windows world that I interface with mostly...
frown.gif

Use my quote: I don't provide Windows tech support

I don't need to dumb myself down because they struggle to even turn the thing on in the morning.
wink.gif

I've made the attempt to use Linux (various distributions) many times in parallel with Windows until I was comfortable in it but I find Linux very frustrating to fix even the most simple of problems and when you ask questions on forums you get the folks that are full of themselves that get frustrated that you don't comprehend Linux at a rocket-science degree type level.

I also hate having to find work arounds for everything to cope with mostly a windows world out there and find the need to keep a Windows partition anyways for converting files and doing tasks that can't be done in Linux. I just gave up.

That said I grew up in DOS so the command line is nothing new to me, and I have programmed in C before as well as setup my PFSense router which is Linux based and involved some modifications to my liking from the shell so that part isn't an issue. It's more so hardware driver issues that pop up from time to time or parts of the O/S breaking when an update happens and trying to solve what it broke without having to reinstall.

Last edited:
I'm never snarky about technology or the limited skills of others, ever.
whistle.gif

Personally, I prefer converting files in Linux where at all possible. As for workarounds, that's where Windows drives me nuts.

Quattro Pete: The rebooting in Ubuntu seems to stem from their fetish to do kernel upgrades at every opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back