Torque wrench on your drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preface by saying always work on my own or family vehicles, answer never. Perhaps if I regularly did OC for other folks vehicles might consider it. For myself, just snug with a 3/8 ratchet and socket and go.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
On Euro Aluminum pans.....Always, On GM Aluminum pans with steel inserts.....Hardly ever.

The new 'Vettes with dry sump.....You can't get a torque wrench on one of the drain plugs without a arm style wrench adapter which requires lowering the the torque setting.

No it doesn't. Make sure the adapter is at 90° from the torque wrench

Just to add something to this thread. Always be careful with aftermarket drain plugs, lots of guys use magnetic plugs that are either too short in the threads or inferior materials.
I see some of the VW and Honda aluminum pans with short aftermarket plugs about 12mm long where the OE is over 20mm, this is a PITA just waiting to happen.
Aluminum crush washers seal better at lower torque settings.

never...but I also never replace the crush washer so it's an abrupt feel. I could see though, with an aluminum pan bad things could easily happen. I'm not getting the "replace the crush washer thing". My cars never leak so why replace it if it ain't broken?

Some people have the feel to know how tight is tight enough and others really do not and can easily over tighten or strip the threads or leave it too loose and have it leak or fall out. I personally have never used a torque wrench on drain plug but also wouldn't be opposed to it. It would be the proper way to do it. Lug nuts I normally do use one but again am not opposed to not using it as I can tighten without the torque wrench and then put it on and it barely moves when I do that. So from enough experience I have been able to feel how tight and gets me close enough. As I age I probably will lose this feel as I saw my father in law lose it. not quite 50 yet

Aluminium pan on a engine that is notorius for creating fine vibrations that shakes thing loose? Torque wrench.

Super thin aluminium pan on a motorcycle? Torque wrench.

I usually go the torque wrench on new to me drain plugs, fill plugs etc several times and by then I have a feel for the new tightness required. Ed

Originally Posted by Trav
Just to add something to this thread. Always be careful with aftermarket drain plugs, lots of guys use magnetic plugs that are either too short in the threads or inferior materials.
I see some of the VW and Honda aluminum pans with short aftermarket plugs about 12mm long where the OE is over 20mm, this is a PITA just waiting to happen.
Aluminum crush washers seal better at lower torque settings.

Do tell Trav :)

Spot on. I'd also add inferior design beyond overall length.

Below is the half of a magnetic drain plug that I removed from my old diesel Rover. This is after I reduced torque on the install and a supposedly quality plug. There was just a minimal amount of material left between the threads and the magnet cavity right at the point where the threaded portion meets the head, where the tightening stress is concentrated. If the plug were just ~2mm longer or the neck of the plug was solid, there would have been less of a chance for this.

(ignore the piece of piston squirter...that is another long story)

plug jet.jpg

Some drain plugs in aluminum pans have an official torque specification a good bit higher than I expected. So, torque wrench. Though I wouldn't lose sleep over the feels method.

There's not much reason to not use a torque wrench on something if possible.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
Some drain plugs in aluminum pans have an official torque specification a good bit higher than I expected. So, torque wrench. Though I wouldn't lose sleep over the feels method.

There's not much reason to not use a torque wrench on something if possible.

I trust my feel more than a torque wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back