Shell Rotella Gas Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this oil is more likely to stick than other attempts at a gas engine light truck oil, because of the well established Rotella name. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Brons2
I think this oil is more likely to stick than other attempts at a gas engine light truck oil, because of the well established Rotella name. Time will tell.

I agree with you Brons2. Not to mention the light truck market has been doing very well and is predicted to continue doing well. Most newer trucks have new engine technology in which this marketing will probably influence DIY truck owners to try this product. As long as truck sales stay strong I think Shell has a good change if they market the product properly. I think most folks out there want to know whats in it though.

Good morning all. Just joined. This post interested me. (Don't worry I do not work for any oil company lol. I am an Infrastructure analyst) but just looking at this oil for my next change. I have a 2013 F150 ecoboost and I like the look of this oil because it is thicker and the possible tweaks to the add pack. I am new learning about oil but to me it looks like this is going to be a more GDI focused oil that plays well with new V8s. I know in the ecoboost world fuel dillution is a more common thing and anything to try to help with that and the LSPI is a win to me. I currently use PUP 5w-30 and like it and have no complaints. But I want to settle on an oil and start doing some UOA.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Good morning all. Just joined.
Thanks for joining up. You're right about your comments, except I think you meant "V6" when you typed in "V8"(?) I'd be more likely to choose Rotella Gas Truck when using an Ecoboost V6 like yours due to the extra viscosity it has. If fuel dilution happens, you'll have about a 2 cSt kv100 margin using this Rotella, which is typically enough. (Your PUP is a thinner oil.) When fuel dilution is the worse we've seen, then I would recommend going to a euro-spec Mercedes 229.5 0w40 (Mobil1 0w40) or the SRT PUP 0w40 oil for that case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Good morning all. Just joined.
Thanks for joining up. You're right about your comments, except I think you meant "V6" when you typed in "V8"(?)

No I meant V8 as in the sense it will be a good oil for the platform for people who would like to use it but I think the benefit will be the people with GDI engines, like the ecoboost. Just my thoughts anyway!
I personally have not seen much fuel dillution. I read another post on here stating that the lower octane gas you use, the more the ecu compensates to help reduce knock which corresponds to a higher fuel dilution number. I have always ran 91 in my truck so I do not think that is as big of a worry for me. But I do know the truck produces a lot of heat very quickly and I think the oil will help out a lot more since the turbos are oil and water cooled.

I did read the PUP is on the thinner side and that is why the RGT is a more of an appealing oil to me. I know PUP and UP have the focus on how clean it makes your engine, I wonder if the RGT will have that as well.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Probably the same base oil as t6. SN+ additive balance.

Is the new Shell Gas Truck recommended for light diesel work, like Rotella T6 is??

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Is the new Shell Gas Truck recommended for light diesel work, like Rotella T6 is??

Probably not since the name is gas truck

Originally Posted by BigShug681

So no SUVs and cars allowed to use it? Will my vehicle alarm ring and headlights blink, when I open the hood to pour some in?

Last edited:

If not already posted:

Specifications and Approvals for Shell Rotella® Gas Truck oil:

API SN-Resource Conserving (also all previous categories)
API SN PLUS
ILSAC GF-5
Chrysler MS-6395
Ford WSS-M2C947-B1
GM dexos1â„¢ Gen 2

So no SUVs and cars allowed to use it?

Absolutely:
We're excited to introduce an oil for pickup trucks and SUVs that meets the demands of modern and older gasoline engines," said Megan Pino, Shell Rotella global brand manager.

However no mention of cars anywhere in the press release
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BigShug681

So no SUVs and cars allowed to use it? Will my vehicle alarm ring and headlights blink, when I open the hood to pour some in?

I wouldn't risk it, only gas trucks.

Since I am new here. Is it a thing to get a UOA done on fresh oil to see what it looks like? Assuming there is some benefit in that?

Since I am new here. Is it a thing to get a UOA done on fresh oil to see what it looks like? Assuming there is some benefit in that?

We have a collection in the VOA section. But you are welcome to contribute a sample. Use a Wix 24077 Kit from RockAuto for $10 if you want to.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,24077,,0

Also
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC

We have a collection in the VOA section. But you are welcome to contribute a sample. Use a Wix 24077 Kit from RockAuto for $10 if you want to.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,24077,,0

Also
welcome2.gif

Thank you for the tips. I did not see one of the RGT. Would not hurt to buy an extra quart and send some off.
Also, I learned there is a difference between VOA and UOA. Thought they were just common typos lol.

Folks here would be happy to see it because no one has done it yet...
thumbsup2.gif

VOA = Virgin Oil Analysis
UOA = Used Oil Analysis

We like our Acronyms here...
lol.gif

It's mainly for curiosity of the members here but not required. If the oil meets the specs for your vehicle then it should be fine. Also, check PQIA for any tests they do.

http://pqiamerica.com

Originally Posted by StevieC
Why have another bottle line for minimal sales and have it compete with everything else out there?

I think they'll have a fleet success, at least in Canada. Pennzoil-Quaker State products are not available from most Shell distributors; Blue Wave takes care of the full line, and Blue Wave isn't everywhere. Formula Shell has no dexos1 option. So, the fleet buyers who do want to buy by specification will have a good option with a name they trust. Those of us who aren't afraid of an HDEO in a gasser, SN or not, still have other options. Right here, if I needed a dexos1 option and wanted to purchase from the local Shell distributor, I'd be choosing Rotella Gas Truck, since they couldn't sell me PP or QSUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back