89 Wrangler oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight from the owners manual!

IMG_20190222_133547.jpg

I had a 90 model that was similar. living where it went below 0 a few times a winter, I remember thinking it could be a problem.

thanks for the blast from the past.

that was the same motor where jeep replaced a head gasket under warranty at 20k. good times! it didn't have carpet or a radio. a four hundred mile drive was murder.

Originally Posted by krholm
My choice is 5W-40 or 10W-40. I prefer the ACEA A3/B3.

Why not A3/B4? B3 is obsolete....

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Didn't even know 20w40 was even a thing

Used to be somewhat common in the 70s and 80s. Right now a good substitute might be a gasoline rated 15W-40 diesel oil. I hear they're sometimes used in mixed gasoline/diesel fleet where it doesn't get too cold.

I recommend a 5w-20 and only because of your climate, if you were in a colder climate I would say 0w-20.

I kid... seriously, i would sleep well at night using a 15w-40.

I actually met a retired Chrysler engineer that worked in Jeep Truck Engineering and came from AMC. He ran in both his YJ of the same year and his 1996 XJ with both the AMC 242 get this...20-40 in the summer and 30 in the winter.

I run 10w-40 high mileage oils in my 87 4.0 with 220k on the clock now. I change at 3k because it looks pretty dirty by then and I don't drive it as much anymore. Was using maxlife for a good while but it seemed to start leaking more from the RMS after awhile of being improved so I switched it up to supertech HM conv 10w-40 and has been working great and maybe leaks a bit less from RMS than the maxlife was (gotta do the RMS someday been putting it off)

Next fill will be Mobil Super HM 10W-40 that i got a deal on.

Last edited:
My 89 Cherokee with the straight six (same motor as the wrangler if I remember correctly) had 260K miles when sold and was on a diet of 10w30 Castrol GTX. In all honesty I think that 4.0L six would go forever on just about any oil. I know of one used as an irrigation motor and gets straight 30W bulk oil once a year, 24/7 for six months, and it keeps going and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back