Chrys 300 V6 Pro & Con

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by road_rascal
I rented one last year (car had less than 8k on it) and I didn't like it. The transmission shifted really weird and something was off about the steering- it really wandered around on the highway. Even though it had the 3.5 I wasn't impressed with the power.

3.6?

Derp- meant 3.6. I have a 3.5 in the Rav.

Can't comment on reliability long term or anything like that, but I had one for two weeks as a rental in Honolulu and it seriously made me consider one wirh a V8, really impressed with the v6, but mostly with the comfort on the road and with the massively improved interior quality. Plus they just look cool and who doesn't want a v8?

The Pentastar is a gem of an engine. You can imagine, it is a straight up rocket in our little 200. Wish we had the 8 speed though. It's great in my RAM. The 6 speed in my wife's 200 is decent, but the ZF trans is like buttah!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by road_rascal
I rented one last year (car had less than 8k on it) and I didn't like it. The transmission shifted really weird and something was off about the steering- it really wandered around on the highway. Even though it had the 3.5 I wasn't impressed with the power.

No question it's a heavy car for the V6. That's why I mentioned the lack of low end grunt. The engine makes it's HP up in the RPM range. It is NOT a Nissan Maxima, with it's very lively V6.

As for the 8 speed automatic, they seem to shift normally and are far better than the previous 5 speeds units.

The steering is weird if set to comfort, almost 0 effort at all required.

I will say if it's just in drive, it wants to get through the gears as quickly as possible and it's reluctant to downshift again. Mine is turning less than 1250rpm at 55mph. Great for economy, not so great for passing. Throwing it in sport mode actually livens it up A TON. And I mean a ton! It's a totally different car.

The Pentastar is making 90%+ of peak torque starting at around 1800rpm. Under that it's kinda meh, and in regular drive that's where it spends most of its life.

Probably to get better numbers on the CAFE test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back