Fram Tough Guard vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Ultras but recently bought a TG because it was $3.00 cheaper. (Mind you this is going on my 2003 Grand Marquis with 150,000 miles)

I checked the Fram site and noticed both filters have steel endcaps, silicone drain valves and synthetic media good for 99% at 20 microns. The only real advantage I see in the Ultra is they say it can go 20,000 miles and hold more dirt.

Since most people never put 20,000 miles on their filter isn't the TG really a better deal?

Thoughts?

The TG never had steel end caps. Has it changed? ... might want to re-verify.

Looks like the same old fiber end caps to me.

Screenshot_2019-02-22-22-55-09.png

Yeah the steel end caps on tg would be news to me
I agree with you that the TG is the more sensible purchase if your just gonna change at a moderate or short interval. Might as well save that 3 bucks.

Last edited:
You guys are absolutely right. I looked at that again and it isn't metal. The color of the fiber end cap confused me. Time for new reading glasses!

It should say:

I checked the Fram site and noticed both filters have silicone drain valves and synthetic media good for 99% at 20 microns. The only real advantage I see in the Ultra is they say it can go 20,000 miles and hold more dirt.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Last edited:
I think it's a better deal. I've run several fiber end capped Fram filters with zero issues. I've cut open every one and they are always straight with the exception of the first PH16 I ran a few years ago. They've since rev'd them up and added a few more pleats of media.. I imagine this is the same case for your PH2, but I am not sure.

FYI, the Extra Guard should have silicone ADBV's now as well assuming it's not old stock. Good for OE intervals so around 10k should be doable in something that's clean.

If you are running synthetic and doing extended drains, then use an Ultra. That would be my only reason to install the higher priced filter.

I routinely run TGs on my 4.6L mod motor fleet (three Panther cars) out to 10k miles. They have always held up very well upon dissection.
They are, IMO, one of the better choices for the efficiency-cost considerations.
They and Wix are my go to filters.

For $3
Originally Posted by ZZman
I have been using Ultras but recently bought a TG because it was $3.00 cheaper. (Mind you this is going on my 2003 Grand Marquis with 150,000 miles)

I checked the Fram site and noticed both filters have steel endcaps, silicone drain valves and synthetic media good for 99% at 20 microns. The only real advantage I see in the Ultra is they say it can go 20,000 miles and hold more dirt.

Since most people never put 20,000 miles on their filter isn't the TG really a better deal?

Thoughts?

The best deal for 5K oil changes is Extra Guard or Supertech, The best deal for 10K is Tough Guard. The Best deal for 20K is Ultra.

The cents per mile formula for the deal.

I pay the extra $3 so that they will keep making the Ultra.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Anybody?
I always thunk TG had synthetic blend media and Ultra has full synthetic media.
Am I thunking wrong?

The media in the TG was updated in 2018. Not sure if it's exactly the same.Did anyone do a C & P?

The Fram Ultra Synthetic has two layers of media. One is full synthetic, the other is cellulose on the old version. But they add one more item, a wire mesh also. The silicone check valve is used to insure proper seal so oil stays up in the block with the engine off. The 20,000 mile number is just a number. Allied Signal used to own the Fram name, Honeywell bought out Fram and Honeywell sold the Fram name to Champion Labs that make the filter now. Cheap filters use nitrile rubber for a check valve and Fram used to have two filters that had them. All the new Fram filters have silicone check valves but only the Ultra Synthetic has metal end caps and not cardboard. I read on the internet that the Ultra Synthetic has been upgraded, and the Fram site says the media is synthetic. The old can has red on the label, the new filter is just black letters on gold

My car will never see a 20 K OCI's. Though I've gotten an Ultra for the Corolla I usually get Purolator or TG. I don't use the 20K expense of another $3.

Originally Posted by CT8
We put too much thought into oil filters.

Yes, and that is fun for some and hard for others.

Originally Posted by CT8

I think you meant to say .... we put too much money into oil filters.\

But depending on use, perhaps some members need the longest lasting ones.

I'm up-to 11K on my 2X OCI K&N Gold. May see 13K b/4 changed.
Used a new 10k-rated Supertech on the wifey's car for 8-9K. That now has the new-fangled Fram EG.

Plan to use Wix on my new Hyundai. I'll buy 4 at a time from rockauto and use them for 5K runs, while the vehicle is in warranty for another 9-3/4 years.

Last edited:
The flow of the Ultra is not as good as the tough guard. My GM 6.0 lq9 was running M1 5w30 and ultras for 2 years. Slapping and ticking at startup. Warm or cold weather. I thought it was just the way GM V8s are because everybody on the interwebs says so. Just for giggles I switched to a spare tough guard on the fly, no oil change. The startup slap and ticking was gone. Had one Ultra left so I put it back on. Slapping and ticking came back. Same oil. So I was able to confirm my lq9, probably most gm v8 startup noise is related to oil flow at startup. I have changed my view on oil filters because of this experience and now run hi flow, lower efficiency oil filters only in all my vehicles.

It's been proven here over and over metal end caps are not better than paper. When paired with paper media they can be worse AKA tearolator. Some OEM Denso filters have no end caps at all. The material used for end caps is irrelevant. Fearing paper end caps is believing fake news.

I'm going three 7500 OCIs on XG2s in a 4.6 (the Grand Marquis in my sig). Granted, it is a clean engine inside, I was lucky that the older PO spent most of his winters in Nashville & had a cabin in MN that he only visited in summer (Vanderbilt college professor), and it was maintained very well. I don't think I would use a TG for more than one 7500 mile OCI, I'm not sure I could put the miles on fast enough to not risk unreinforced blend media disintegrating from age & moisture.

Originally Posted by CT8

I think you meant to say .... we put too much money into oil filters.

Sure do... And really there are plenty of choices. But for an example I research K & N air filters and they say they are the best air filter on the market. But when you think of it what they mean to say is a filter just inhibits air flow and reduces the HP. I put a AC Delco air filter on my Miata. What I want is the best air filter per filtration. So what do you want out of your oil filter. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple have great oil filters, both made by Champion Labs and are almost the same. Wix makes some great filters and they make filters for NAPA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_hWb5mCCg

You notice the video says $5 $8 $12. So what do you get? What do you want? The anti drainback valve serves another purpose. A spring on the back of the filter can pushes against it to seal the filter. That also pushes against the metal filter ends or in the case of lower quality filters cardboard end caps via the inside filter tube. My guess is that spring is pretty weak on the cardboard end filters. (Bias) The higher priced media is synthetic and while less area than the synthetic blend and cellulose media is more efficient and better filtration. The high end filter has a wire mesh to keep from filter collapse. Some really expensive filters have this feature.

Actually, I also want the least cost to me too. Paying under 10 bucks for a filter that has all the goodies I like plus dual synthetic media in the pleats. The Fram Ultra Synthetic has been upgraded recently and has all the bells and whistles of filters costing more. I do not care if it says 20,000 miles.

Last edited:
Anybody?
I always thunk TG had synthetic blend media and Ultra has full synthetic media.
Am I thunking wrong?

From Fram's website - info on the TG media says:

Stronger, more durable media provides an outstanding 99% dirt-trapping efficiency.

Synthetic fiber/cellulose blend increases dirt-trapping and dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life.

Microscopic synthetic fibers create small windows that trap dirt particles without affecting oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back