Air bag recall on passenger side airbag, 2014 Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

Yesterday I received an airbag recall notice on the passenger side airbag on my 14 Mustang. I had the driver's side done a couple of years ago and they said that the passenger side was fine and that they didn't think there would be a recall on that side and that is why I was surprised when I got the notice.

My fiance has an 07 Mustang and both side recalls came pretty soon after each other.

Of coarse they have to order the parts so it's a waiting game again.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I'm not surprised. The more they investigate, the more the wrong they find.

I think it's more of a timing issue. They get more dangerous as they get older but there's a limited number of airbags they can make as it's over several million that are under recall. So as they age, they get added to the list. I believe at one point they were still installing airbags that they knew were going to have to be recalled later, but were ok for now due to manufacturing constraints.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
This is the Takata recall?

I assume but I don't know for sure. There was no mention of Takata in the recall letter.

Originally Posted by wtd

I assume but I don't know for sure. There was no mention of Takata in the recall letter.

I looked it up. Likely Takata. I recall when this mess started, Takata management was blaming their factory in Mexico. But then they were recalling basically all passenger side airbags.

https://owner.ford.com/service/freq...ding-takata-airbag-inflator-recalls.html

I had that on my mind because I was waiting at a Honda dealer while both airbags were replaced.

Dealing with this on my 13 GT500, seems the passenger side one is at least 6 months lead time from order to arrival. I'm NOT leaving Shelby at the dealership unattended.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Dealing with this on my 13 GT500, seems the passenger side one is at least 6 months lead time from order to arrival. I'm NOT leaving Shelby at the dealership unattended.

I don't blame you there. After seeing all of these YT videos of techs taking out people's performance cars and hot rodding them, it does make you nervous.

The dealer told me that it should only take a couple of days for the parts to come in so I don't know. I'm not driving the car now anyway so I can wait a little while if I have to.

Originally Posted by wtd

Yes it was. I had mine done the day after the updated recall was issued. I had a part pulled and tagged for when it was convenient. The day after the recall was posted the weather sucked and I couldn't get a close spot to work so I traded not having to park on the street for getting a recall done and my service department getting a good survey.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by wtd

Yes it was. I had mine done the day after the updated recall was issued. I had a part pulled and tagged for when it was convenient. The day after the recall was posted the weather sucked and I couldn't get a close spot to work so I traded not having to park on the street for getting a recall done and my service department getting a good survey.

Sounds like a win, win situation. I'm thinking of getting my coolant flushed while they have it in for the recall since my car is now six years old and is due according to the owner's manual.

How does your dealership do coolant flushes and do you use BG products and if so, what do they do for the engine? My fiancee had her 07 Mustang GT done a few years ago and they used some BG stuff in it.

FWIW I drained and filled my S197 2010 Mustang GT with the 4.6 engine. It's pretty straight forward with a drain plug on the right side of the radiator. I think I had to remove the plastic panel under the car to access the plug but not sure as it's been a while ago and my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I also had the Takata recall done on both sides.

2010 Mustang GT.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by wtd

Sounds like a win, win situation. I'm thinking of getting my coolant flushed while they have it in for the recall since my car is now six years old and is due according to the owner's manual.

How does your dealership do coolant flushes and do you use BG products and if so, what do they do for the engine? My fiancee had her 07 Mustang GT done a few years ago and they used some BG stuff in it.

They use a kit from MOC, basically similar snake oil to BG, and then whatever coolant the vehicle calls for, in our case Motorcraft Orange. I need to do mine at some point, and will probably just do a drain and fill. Look closely at the t-stat housing, that is a common leak spot.

[/quote]They use a kit from MOC, basically similar snake oil to BG, and then whatever coolant the vehicle calls for, in our case Motorcraft Orange. I need to do mine at some point, and will probably just do a drain and fill. Look closely at the t-stat housing, that is a common leak spot. [/quote]
I may just do a drain and fill myself. The car only has about 30,000 miles on it. I will check out the t-stat housing since the level in my overflow tank has gone down a little a couple of times.

Last edited:
The airbag recall is done so hopefully no more recalls on this car. I also had the coolant flushed while they had the car in. I could have done it myself but I just didn't feel like messing with it and it was time for it to be done.

Originally Posted by wtd
The airbag recall is done so hopefully no more recalls on this car. I also had the coolant flushed while they had the car in. I could have done it myself but I just didn't feel like messing with it and it was time for it to be done.

Confirm this was the passenger side please? I was told parts were way out so maybe I need to find another dealer.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by wtd

Confirm this was the passenger side please? I was told parts were way out so maybe I need to find another dealer.

Yes, this was the passenger side. They ordered the part last Thursday and called me on Monday saying the part was in and scheduled me for yesterday for the install.

I would probably try a different dealer. The dealer I went to is a small town dealer so if they can get it, I assume pretty much any dealer can.

Originally Posted by wtd

Is Takata the company that made the original defective air bags ? Have they gone bankrupt ?

With the airbags when we order them they take 7-10 working days to come in, except for specific part numbers.

I guess I got lucky because mine only took about 2 business days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back