Transmission Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Equinox 3.4L 6 cyl:
Has anyone installed a transmission cooler on this vehicle. None of the main suppliers, that I have called, list nor know any information for 2008 Equinox but they do for almost all other year models. So I am kind of worried that there might be a special problem which is not obvious to me when I inspected my Equinox. Never have done this before.
The depth ( thickness) of the cooler is the only concern before I order. It's recommended to install the largest that would fit. The length and width, obviously are not a problem.
thanks

I thought trans coolers were universal: you can buy kits with fittings and hardware but they are not model specific.

EDIT: My car has a heat exchanger instead of a traditional cooling circuit in the radiator, your Equinox could possibly be the same. Might just be euro black magic, though.

Last edited:
That vehicle does have a built-in heat exchanger/cooler already, so you mean a 2nd cooler then.

As long as there is clearance in front of the radiator, you just do like dwcopple said and splice it in and check the fluid (a real pain on this car with the stubby dipstick underneath a ton of wire loom and house, out of sight.

Being in S. Fla., I would get one for a large truck or class B motorhome per the Hayden or similar chart and splice that in, after measuring to be sure it will fit. I would put it downstream of the factory unit for maximum cooling and no re-heating. The factory connections to the radiator are a little funky, a press-in and clip arrangement and not regular hose clamps or Mubea style clamps. You will have to adapt your extra hose with that hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back