01 tacoma, new alt brushes ordered. Prep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original alt, 240k. Still 14.2V. What should I dress the rings with? Thanks

I asked the same question to my local alternator shop and they said the Denso alternator slip rings usually lasts about 160K miles.
To prepare for the alternator swap in my 2014 Toyota Venza, I did something different.

I purchased and had the seller send out my spare eBay Toyota alternator Denso 130 amp (part number# 27060-0P150) to Performance Inc and they rebuilt it for $129 + $20 ship. Bearings($15), new decoupling pulley($35), rectifier($20), regulator($15), turned the slip ring, brushes and sand blasted the alt case halves. If you purchased the parts, your cost estimate would be $85 for no-name parts which doesn't include your labor, turning the slip ring and sand blasting the case halves. Removing the rear bearing may require cutting. Performance said they would replace the slip ring if needed.

But more importantly, TESTING it before re-installation.

Old vs Rebuilt
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Turn around time approx 1 week [They received it last last Friday afternoon, got pic this past Monday and received it last night by USPS priority mail]. Nice work!

Locally Philadelphia area was asking $180.

The picture shows a clutch (decoupler) pulley. It s probably bad. They take special tools to remove and install.

The slip rings if grooved may be about worn thru, they have little extra thickness. They can be replaced if you can find a place that will sell you ONE slip ring. (we sell wholesale in boxes of 100)

I personally would want new bearings, Koyo if I can get them. But some good quality C3 clearance bearing, preferable with Krytox grease for automotive use.

Rod

Performance did replace the decoupling pulley. The pulley uses a 17mm hex bit. I did purchase two Koyo C3 bearings for $15 ( front and rear ), but Performance would not put them since they got burned by customer supplied parts. The old alternator had 100K mi .

Originally Posted by rekit
Original alt, 240k. Still 14.2V. What should I dress the rings with? Thanks

Better than 90% of all Denso alternators I've put brushes in didn't require anything other than scotch brite on the slip rings, no perceptible wear at all. Every once and a while they're worn quite badly, in those cases I either add new brushes and hope for the best, get it rebuilt locally, or replace with a Toyota genuine new or rebuilt alternator.

Personally I try to replace the brushes before the alternator stops charging, I only service the brushes and leave the bearings and everything else alone unless it's known to be bad. I don't replace bearings as preventative maintenance.

Thanks all. I just retired, and have a nice Honda Valk Interstate so a week or two w/o my Taco is no problemo. I'll decide when I get into it. It is amazing how long parts last when they are well made in the first place. I went from a 65 Mustang that needed everything, all the time to a 71 Celica that was indestructible. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back