Got a new wireless printer/MFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know - as much as I think using documents stored on mobile devices is good and everything, often I'd still like to print things. Definitely stuff like resumes and certain forms that need to be mailed in or submitted on paper.

I had an older Canon (MF4350d) multi-function machine (bought in 2010) that was OK for a few years. However, once when it was fairly new I made the mistake of moving it around (put it on the floor) to use for the FAX to put it closer to my phone line. And during that time I was in a hurry, tripped over the USB cable, and the center pin of the US port broke off. That was the only means of communication with the computer. But I just plugged it in gently and the pins seemed to be intact. Occasionally it would stop working with the dreaded E225 System Error code, but that might reset eventually if I completely removed it from power for a few hours. But just last week I destroyed the port by trying to unplug and reinsert the US connector to the point and the pins bent. I can still use it as a copier and possibly as a FAX machine, but not as a printer or scanner. I thought maybe it was possible to replace the USB port (parts are less than $1) but I'm not good with a soldering iron and I'm not sure I could open it up without breaking something. Besides - it was 9 years old.

So I got a new multi-function machine - a Canon MF427dw. Only comes in black. Got a great deal on it since Amazon (selling directly) has it for $125 and Staples gave me the 110% price match to where it was $115 plus tax. I wasn't sure how it was going to work though. I set up the printer/fax/scanner drivers on my Mac and then fired it up after removing all the tape and assorted tabs/cardboard/etc inside the machine. I had an issue setting it up with my wireless access point (couldn't figure out how to do capital letters entering the password) but eventually it worked. And as long as it's connected to the network (even wired) it seems to print/scan just fine. It's also got a USB port, but I'm going to avoid using that. The printer is in another room while I typically use a laptop in my living room. And now I guess I can print from my other portable devices, although I had to restart them before it would recognize the printer.

Wondering why I didn't do this sooner.

Laser laser laser.

We print infrequently, but when we do, we just want it to work.
Ordered a Brother HLL2320D on black Friday for $50 from Staples.
Black printing only, duplex capability, no wifi.

Currently running for $100 at multiple sites.

It's easy, it always works, l guess I'll have to buy toner one of these years......

I'm just kicking myself for waiting this long to get one...

Originally Posted by Donald
My requirements are laser and auto duplex. Does it do those?.

Black and white laser (I don't need color) and yes auto duplex printing. Might also scan double-sided although I need to figure out how to do that.

Of course the OEM cartridges are $80 MSRP, but I've had good luck with aftermarket rebuilt cartridges with my older printer. The first printer I had was one of the Brother ones with where the drum unit takes a tube of toner. So the only replacement needed was the toner unless the drum cartridge (rated for something like 150,000 prints) failed. And I had one that failed early. I remember using that for double sided printing where I had to take a stack and then place it back in the manual feed tray. Auto duplex is much easier.

Canon Laser Multi Function is a great deal.
I had it for a while, MF-D460.
The aftermarket toner works very well on mine and it is only around $15 per cartridge.
For home usage, it is sufficient.

For scanning, I hooked up the USB port to my computer and download the apps.
I have not figured out the Network scanning yet.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
The aftermarket toner works very well on mine and it is only around $15 per cartridge.

I don't know if it matters, but both this and my previous Canon all-in-ones are made in Korea.

At least for mine it just seems to recognize it for network scanning. All I did was connect it to my wireless access point and it automatically shows up when I use Apple's Image Capture on a Mac connected to the same network as a shared device.

I'm actually pretty bad at using networking, but this was pretty easy and painless.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by JMJNet

I don't know if it matters, but both this and my previous Canon all-in-ones are made in Korea.

At least for mine it just seems to recognize it for network scanning. All I did was connect it to my wireless access point and it automatically shows up when I use Apple's Image Capture on a Mac connected to the same network as a shared device.

I'm actually pretty bad at using networking, but this was pretty easy and painless.

Good to know.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
What is auto duplex? Prints both sides at once?

Yes. Each printed sheet will come out part way, be sucked back in by the auto duplex mechanism, and is then reversed and gets printed on the other side. I've also seen inkjet printers that will do that, but sometimes they stop first to give the ink time to dry before printing on the other side.

I mentioned the manual duplex function on an older printer I had. It was built into the printer driver software. I'd select doubled sided printing then it would print out one side. When it was done there was an on-screen set of instructions on how to turn the stack around and place the stack in the manual tray. Then I'd click on a box to start printing the other side.

One advantage to double-sided printing with a laser print is that using the other side reduces curling of the pages.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I need one, too. My HP is on the fritz. Doesn't always work.

Looking at this one:

Printer

That doesn't have a FAX function though. I think it would need at least a number keypad for that.

This is the one I got. Again - Staples price matched it with their 110% policy. It was $100 more so that was an additional 10%. And I picked it up at the store rather than having it dropped off on my porch. Best Buy and Office Depot carry it, but their price match doesn't go beyond just the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF247dw-Wireless-Multifunction/dp/B01K9L6USA
https://www.staples.com/Canon-ImageCLASS-MF247dw-All-in-One-Laser-Printer/product_2420557

My color laser printer is a Xerox Phaser. The Xerox high capacity toner is $150 each (4 colors). But its significantly more of a printer than a small footprint laser printer. The toner is in small containers the size of the older container of frozen orange juice concentrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back