New batteries failing on the shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have some JCI made batteries on consignment where I work. I really only wanted the battery tester but we had to stock them in order to get the free tester.

Champion is what's on the labels. We don't sell many because the stocking program is all wrong for our area. So they sit. Corporate won't let me stock what sells.

Every month or so I pull my charger out and charge each one on a 2a charge until the green light on my charger comes on. After 9 months the supplier will replace them with new ones.

Anyway I have had 3 fail on my rack even with my monthly recharge. One of them must have shorted out. I came to work and that battery was stinking and boiling. It was not hooked to anything and had not been charged on a few weeks.

The other 2 failed the monthly load test.

Cheap junk batteries or do I need to do something different?

I imagine they are similar to the Walmart Everstart Maxx that are sold here in SW Georgia. My experience with those Made in Mexico JCI specimens are that they are junk.

Originally Posted by MParr
I imagine they are similar to the Walmart Everstart Maxx that are sold here in SW Georgia. My experience with those Made in Mexico JCI specimens are that they are junk.

I had no way idea Johnson batteries were this bad. We have 9 on the stand and 3 have failed. That's 1/3rd.

I sure hope that the JCI Champion branded batteries aren't indicative of the other brands they make. I'll have to check out any "made in Mexico" on Walmarts. I had an JCI made Advance Auto "silver" go about 9 years in an old Altima. I have 2 other Walmart Everstart plus batteries going for a year or two. The Everstart plus or Maxx seem to be the same ones that Advance auto sells for a good bit more. Maybe Sears Diehards as well, if they're still selling any batteries. Then there's Interstate, made by JCI. Somebody once advised me, long ago, to buy decent midrange slosh batteries rather than the one's made as high CCA ratings. Something about the thin plates in the hot ones? I never had any luck at all with auto/truck AGM batteries, especially Deka. Very good luck with AGM's in motorcycles however, Deka included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back