Craftsman Tools “Ultimate Collection”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: Dow Jones MarketWatch

Sears launches Craftsman Ultimate Collection of tools
Feb 22, 2019 at 9:35 a.m. ET
By Tonya Garcia

Sears Holdings Corp. has launched Craftsman Ultimate Collection, a line of tools for mechanics that includes high-performance ratchets and ratcheting wrenches, and other items. The items are available exclusively at Sears stores, on its website, and at Sears Hometown locations. The Craftsman Ultimate Collection is available as a 104-piece mechanic's set for about $320, as a 302-piece mechanic's set for about $1,000, or in other sizes.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I thought Sears went bankrupt ?

They did. They got bought out of bankruptcy and they're still in business.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Been to Loew's recently?

You mean the hotel in Santa Monica?

No, not recently...but the Loews in Chicago is nice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14

Been to Loew's recently?

Been to a few Loews theatres, not bad, no tools though.

Originally Posted by Donald
I thought Sears sold the Craftsman line to Black & Decker?

They did - and both Stanley Black & Decker and Sears market Craftsman. That's why you've been seeing it at Ace and soon, Lowe's(not Loews Hotels).

Originally Posted by Astro14

Been to Loew's recently?

I've had a drink at the one in San Francisco. It used to be the Mandarin Oriental.

Originally Posted by Donald
I thought Sears sold the Craftsman line to Black & Decker?

They did in March of 2017. Sears no longer has anything to do with, or control of the Craftsman name.

Originally Posted by Trav
I wonder how many if any are made in USA.

And if they ARE made in USA, how long before they replace your American-made tool with a Chinese-made tool when it comes up for warranty.
Sorry, fool me once....

A lot of lifelong Craftsman guys like myself gave up on them years ago. The name Craftsman means nothing anymore, it's just an excuse to charge a little extra for tools that are average at best. I doubt this will do anything to change that.

Originally Posted by stoan
A lot of lifelong Craftsman guys like myself gave up on them years ago. The name Craftsman means nothing anymore, it's just an excuse to charge a little extra for tools that are average at best. I doubt this will do anything to change that.
Wrong, they were rebranding Knipex Cobras pretty recently. They have also been rebranding Lang thread repair kits forever. They also had Western Forge screwdrivers until they sold the name, I bought an awl from my local sears when they were closing. Some stores also sold US made old stock right up until they closed. I heard that obscure Ace Hardwares were a good source for NOS US made Craftsman.

They offshored a lot of their stuff (I know they had US made ratchet sets and wrenches in the early 2000s) and produced a ton of junk, but they have both good and bad items just like every other tool company. They have sucked for a while, but I think they are coming back as Stanley has been investing in US manufacturing facilities.

When they start producing US made Craftsman again, I will be first in line at Lowes to pick one up.

When they start producing US made Craftsman again, I will be first in line at Lowes to pick one up.

They will probably be like those Craftsman tool boxes at Lowes, Chinese steel assembled here so they can put the big USA flag sticker on it. The kobalt boxes were better quality at a cheaper price, but now Stanley has to get a cut.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by Trav
I wonder how many if any are made in USA.

And if they ARE made in USA, how long before they replace your American-made tool with a Chinese-made tool when it comes up for warranty.
Sorry, fool me once....

Taking broken tools back was never my thing as when I broke one it was usually my fault, it doesn't happen very often anyway. I buy a lot of NOS stuff from now defunct companies so any warranty is worthless anyway, they don't make it anymore but you know that going in.
Would you pass up a NOS USA made 15 piece set of Armstrong 3/8 drive universal sockets for $65 because the company is now out of business? I wouldn't, they are in my box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back