How do you dispose of used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 35 Litre plastic Jerry Can, I wait until it's almost full and take to the local dump site. They have a large tank that you are allowed to drain your old oils, and dispose of oil filters.

The Municipal dump is about 12 km from my house, I usually combine my trip there with a visit to the local Costco - across the street from the dump.

I pour the old oil from the pan back into the 5qt jugs. Take a walk down my fence line and pour it on my fence posts. This keeps the weeds down, preserves the post and helps protect the environment by not consuming fossil fuel driving to a disposal center burning up gas, wasting trees needing to be cut down for new fence posts and trimmer string and two stroke fuel in my trimmer.

By not recycling and dumping oil I am doing my part protecting the environment. Making the world better one oil change at a time, every 3k miles.

I dump it on top of the benzine plastics and other chemicaly processed materials in my trash burn pit and light that baby up.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I pour the old oil from the pan back into the 5qt jugs. Take a walk down my fence line and pour it on my fence posts. This keeps the weeds down, preserves the post and helps protect the environment by not consuming fossil fuel driving to a disposal center burning up gas, wasting trees needing to be cut down for new fence posts and trimmer string and two stroke fuel in my trimmer.

By not recycling and dumping oil I am doing my part protecting the environment. Making the world better one oil change at a time, every 3k miles.

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by BobGoblin
I paint wooden fence with it. It prevents wood from rotting. Nice stuff. Free too.

Wood rots at the point it touches the ground not above or below.

The key is to to pour the oil so it coats about 4-6 inches above ground level.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Curb side recycling with the trash. Waste Management is our local company, but they all do it around here. Gallon milk jugs...

This seems to be a rare here. You and I are the only ones that have mentioned this method in this thread.

It is really convenient.

I used to give it to a friend who would burn it in a furnace and heat his shed in the winter. Now I just drop it off at Canadian Tire.

Auto parts store if I remember, but they only take oil.
County gas a few pull up/remove hazardous waste sites that'll take oil and coolant.
There is also a self dump shed for oil and coolant that's quite a bit out of the way, but convenient if I gotta go after hours.

The local Canadian Tire stopped taking used oil (which is bad, I think if you sell it you should take it, but I digress) but there is a recycle center not far away as well which is pretty convenient. They also take batteries and electronics and scrap metal and what not.

Bring the used oil to my city DPW garage. They have a waste oil furnace that heats the garage where they store the DPW vehicles.

1996-present: County recycling center (also takes coolant and tires)
1982-1995: Advance Auto or Kmart
pre-1982: Driveway weeds, rustproofing farm tools, bike chain, etc.

All auto parts stores near me will take used oil. When I was a kid we put it on the fence posts so the barbed wire wouldn't rust.

I use the shredded paper from shredders at work and home, double bag it with trash bags then pour the oil in it, tie it up then toss it in the trash. City burns it at their incinerator that generates electricity they sell to the electric utility company. They sell oil change boxes that are made of shredded paper at the auto parts stores but mine are free.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

If actually true, I hope you enjoy drinking from your local aquifer.

sadly pre 1984 I dumped it behind my garage. It's what my father did and I never really thought about it. Then of all places I learned in the Army to recycle oil a light bulb went off after I saw the huge amounts we dealt with. Now I use walmart or the county recycle center

I have had several arguments with local gas stations who refuse to take my waste oil. New York State Law requires that any station that performs oil changes must also accept waste oil. In one case, I tipped the guy two bucks and he took my oil. In another instance, the owner (a middle Eastern man with a seriously bad attitude) threatened me and I called the police, who arrived and were totally disinterested in helping. I have now found the one gas station in my town that takes the oil.

Originally Posted by PeterGreen
I have had several arguments with local gas stations who refuse to take my waste oil. New York State Law requires that any station that performs oil changes must also accept waste oil. In one case, I tipped the guy two bucks and he took my oil. In another instance, the owner (a middle Eastern man with a seriously bad attitude) threatened me and I called the police, who arrived and were totally disinterested in helping. I have now found the one gas station in my town that takes the oil.

You don't tip them you just turn them into the State Attorney Generals office. That station that takes your oil is the one that should be getting all your business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back