CrossWind tires. Will they kill me dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a lot of cars with original equipment Solus and also with original equipment Michelins. Most tires you get when you buy the car are rather mediocre but I haven't noticed a lot of difference between the OE Kumho's and Michelins. In face of the three Michelin brands, I've had more problems with them than BFG's or Uniroyals. Wouldn't have put Kumho and Hankook in the same box with no-name Chinese tires, but to each their own.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

[Linked Image]

tread separation happens to ANY tire that's been negelected. The more notable cases(Firestone 500/Radial ATX-Wilderness AT and Goodyear G159) were from shoddy workmanship/materials or underspecification of the tire for a given application. Even Michelins can give up their tread if in a severe overload/underinflation event.

As for Chinese tires, I stay away from them since but I see lots of Milestar, Radar, Sailun, West Lake and GT Radials around my neck of the woods. Even PrimeWells seem to hold up OK but they won't offer the same level of refinement and tech as a 1st tier brand. Unless it's a beater or a car I plan to unload, Chinese tires aren't my first pick.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
This is why I don't buy cheap tires for cars that I care about.

I have bespoke Kumho's on my fastest car. No complaints yet.

Originally Posted by csandste
Wouldn't have put Kumho and Hankook in the same box with no-name Chinese tires, but to each their own.
True that. I've got Kumho Ecsta 4x II now, and I THINK, ASSUME, they are on par with decent quality tires in the world. Same for Sumitomo, a Japanese company that does well. (Kumho is Korean, and they are currently known for good high tech products.)

Can't tell from the picture if that Kumho was being driven on flat or not but resembles what i have seen when others drive on a flat or very low tire. Kumho Solus is a midgrade tire not high end not low end. Would not be my choice as I had a set on a Civic I once owned and they were awful in rain and snow. Spin and slide everywhere with awful traction

Let's scour the Internet for blown tires which brands we don't like and post them on BITOG. This thread has gone to nonsensical You can't ask about tires of Chinese origin on here and get any advice that makes sense. Just go to CostCo and spend $400.00 more.....

Unbelievable.....

Originally Posted by CKN
Let's scour the Internet for blown tires which brands we don't like and post them on BITOG. This thread has gone to nonsensical You can't ask about tires of Chinese origin on here and get any advice that makes sense. Just go to CostCo and spend $400.00 more.....

Unbelievable.....

Technically it's only $264 more than what he was originally planning on spending, but I think Walmart charges an extra $10 for road hazard so it'd be slightly cheaper once mounting/balancing is factored in.

But i was just answering his question, if you have to ask if it will kill you then yes, there's a chance it can kill you.

Same as asking the price, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Just noticed the WalMart site has 132 reviews listed. See what the people are saying.

Many of these Chinese tire reviews are from people who have been given the tires free or at a reduced cost. I have had people admit to this.

The Chinese are masters at copying so they can make a tread pattern to look good. However, without independent test one cannot determine what type of tread compound or other technologies they are using.

Recent example, I was looking at a Laufenn tire and thought it looked like a well built tire. Fortunately I found were that specific model had been tested and the conclusions were something about - trailing by a significant margin and holding the dubious honor of being the longest (braking distance) of any tire that they had tested. Enough said.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by CKN

Unbelievable.....

Technically it's only $264 more than what he was originally planning on spending, but I think Walmart charges an extra $10 for road hazard so it'd be slightly cheaper once mounting/balancing is factored in.

But i was just answering his question, if you have to ask if it will kill you then yes, there's a chance it can kill you.

Same as asking the price, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

There a chance sleeping will kill you. How many people a year go to sleep and not wake up?
"1 in 4 people die of heart disease (American Heart Association) and 1 in 8 will die in their sleep (answers.com). Sleep apnea is also one of the top causes that leads to dying in your sleep, affecting 42 million Americans.

How likely are you to die in your sleep? If estimates like the ones above are correct, that's over 10% of the US population meeting their fates between dreams! Most of these deaths are attributed to heart attack or cardiac arrest, and it is believed that many thousands of people actually die because they had obstructive sleep apnea"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dying-your-sleep-more-common-than-you-think-bryan-lorden

Since this thread has gone to the nonsensical.......

But in all fairness-the way the OP starting the thread kind of lead to the responses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spk2000
Kumho Solus is a midgrade tire not high end not low end.

And Kumho has been getting a lot of OEM business lately - not just from Hyundai-Kia and GM but from Ford, FCA and even BMW on Minis. Hankook has been getting OEM fitments on Honda, Mercedes and Toyota recently. And BMW/Mercedes/GM have criteria to qualify tires to use as OEM - the former two having tougher testing than GM's TPC(BMW star/RSC and Mercedes MO/MOE).

The Koreans were at the same level as the Chinese 20-30 years ago. Kumho used SCCA to get into the US market and Hankook was a 2nd tier brand starting out in the US.

Last edited:
We bought our Scion XB used, with a stack of receipts from Firestone here in San Antonio, every oil change and service done there.

Car came with a set of Primewell tires on there, less than half tread left on them.

Anyways I read about a primewell recall on this site due to tread separations.

We took the car to Firestone and they gave us a new different brand of Primewells. The fronts were burned down to 2/32nds in 15k miles, and the rears were showing metal and signs of tread separation, but lots of tread on them.

Tires were never rotated, my fault, but they were never ran hard or low on air pressure.

We ended up getting a different brand from Discount tire, one of their house brands, and the ride has been much better.

Will they kill you dead ... ???

Tires are not something to cheap out on. Seriously. You tend to get what you pay for. And at 80 + mph on the highway, if a tire fails, there is a good chance you or someone you care about will DIE !

Think of it this way ... If you spend $ 60 more per tire ($ 240. 00 ) and they last, say 5 years, you will be spending about $ 48.00 per YEAR more, or less than $ 1.00 per week ... !

Originally Posted by JustinH
We bought our Scion XB used, with a stack of receipts from Firestone here in San Antonio, every oil change and service done there.

Car came with a set of Primewell tires on there, less than half tread left on them.

Anyways I read about a primewell recall on this site due to tread separations.

We took the car to Firestone and they gave us a new different brand of Primewells. The fronts were burned down to 2/32nds in 15k miles, and the rears were showing metal and signs of tread separation, but lots of tread on them.

Tires were never rotated, my fault, but they were never ran hard or low on air pressure.

We ended up getting a different brand from Discount tire, one of their house brands, and the ride has been much better.

So this either very hard to believe or the tires are rated to only 30,000 miles........

Personally, I would buy a set of used high quality tires with 75-80% tread life or more remaining.

For example, I just bought a set of used Michelin LTX tires for my 2005 Silverado. 75% tread life left , cost me just $200 balanced and installed, as opposed to paying $600+ for a new set.

Thats how I "cheap out".

Maybe giving advice to spend more really is good advice, if spending more really matters. Sometimes you have to break one of the constraints of the OP's original query in order to meet other constraints.

Tires matter. My Certified pre-owned Toyota came with brand new Telstar Weatherizers. With less than 10K on them I was following a similar-sized car, matching its speed (which was reasonable) on a twisty series of parking lots and went completely sideways. The car ahead of me did not. The asphalt was wet but not oily. Hoping to avoid an unnecessary expense, I got out and looked for oil or gravel, none.

I bought some tires as soon as I could research some and find a good deal, about a week. The name-brand tires I bought were just "OK", but they were miles ahead of the Telstar's in safety. At 50K when I replaced them, they still had better wet traction then the Telstar's did at 10K.

Personally, I would buy a set of used high quality tires with 75-80% tread life or more remaining.

For example, I just bought a set of used Michelin LTX tires for my 2005 Silverado. 75% tread life left , cost me just $200 balanced and installed, as opposed to paying $600+ for a new set.

Thats how I "cheap out".

Try $800.00 plus

Originally Posted by HangFire
Maybe giving advice to spend more really is good advice, if spending more really matters. Sometimes you have to break one of the constraints of the OP's original query in order to meet other constraints.

Tires matter. My Certified pre-owned Toyota came with brand new Telstar Weatherizers. With less than 10K on them I was following a similar-sized car, matching its speed (which was reasonable) on a twisty series of parking lots and went completely sideways. The car ahead of me did not. The asphalt was wet but not oily. Hoping to avoid an unnecessary expense, I got out and looked for oil or gravel, none.

I bought some tires as soon as I could research some and find a good deal, about a week. The name-brand tires I bought were just "OK", but they were miles ahead of the Telstar's in safety. At 50K when I replaced them, they still had better wet traction then the Telstar's did at 10K.

No you don't. MileStar tires are Chinese and are of decent quality.

Originally Posted by CKN

Thats how I "cheap out".

Try $800.00 plus

Cool. That means I got an even better deal than I realized.

Originally Posted by CKN

Unbelievable.....

Not unbelievable. My Chinese tire experience was horrific.

As mentioned above, quality value and price have a relationship.

Those of us who race cars understand exactly how critical tires are.

This thread did not go sideways as you claim. Experienced motorists pointed out widespread and real problems. It's not to say, for example, that Honda can't make a dud. But overall Honda and Toyota are the most reliable. A proven fact. Not conjecture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back