Small 4x4 with a 4 cyl and manual not to be found

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always dreamed about importing a Hilux from a LHD market. Modern trucks are so soft anyways, a manual would just not fit.

What about the upcoming Jeep Gladiator? Wait it out and buy a beater if necessary.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
You open up a ton of additional options if you go with an auto tranny. The majority of US drivers have made the switch, its not that hard to do.
"In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you"

25.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
I usually do 1-2-4-6 or 1-3-4-6.....
Given no traffic pushing me, I shift 1-3-6 with one car. At times, with a slight downhill with my 5 sp., I'll shift, 2-5 .....almost an auto.

Originally Posted by Convert
If the standard shift was available it should be called a ANTI TEXTING DEVICE.
Nah! People will text with their noses, while shifting.....at least the people with thin noses.

Tacoma is still available in 4 cylinder manual configurations. But having owned a 2011 4x4 manual 4 cylinder, I can tell you they are GUTLESS and wimpy on highways or towing. V6 with a manual is the best of both worlds in these rigs!

You open up a ton of additional options if you go with an auto tranny. The majority of US drivers have made the switch, its not that hard to do.

Extra $1K on the sticker, more complexity to fail. I still prefer the manual.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Tacoma is still available in 4 cylinder manual configurations. But having owned a 2011 4x4 manual 4 cylinder, I can tell you they are GUTLESS and wimpy on highways or towing. V6 with a manual is the best of both worlds in these rigs!

It's not available in 4x4 unless I'm missing something. The 2.7 is a good, proven engine and is all you need for off-road. Why pay extra and burn more gas if you don't have to?

Originally Posted by Elkins45

It's not available in 4x4 unless I'm missing something. The 2.7 is a good, proven engine and is all you need for off-road. Why pay extra and burn more gas if you don't have to?

Real world difference is likely negligible, since most people will drive the 4 cylinder harder and the fact it naturally will have to work harder than the v6 to accomplish the same thing.

The 2.7 makes 159hp and 180ft lbs, about the same as a 2.0L equipped Dodge Caliber. The V6 is making 278hp and 265ft lbs. the Tacoma weighs in between 3,980lbs and 4,480lbs. That's A LOT of weight for 159hp.

I had a 1996 Tacoma with the 2.7 and a automatic. That four banger is a real workhorse of a engine. Granted, you are not going to go real fast but for normal driving it is fine. I regularly hauled 1500-1600 pounds of pellets in the back with no problems.

With a manual it should be just fine.

Originally Posted by litesong
"In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you"

25.gif

You still drive w/o power steering, w/o power assist brakes and crank your windows up and down, withoug a power assist rear hatch (these things are standard on almost every new US vehicle)? Is it lazy to use these features? Auto tranny saves effort just like those features.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

You still drive w/o power steering, w/o power assist brakes and crank your windows up and down

Yes...

If you have to tolerate 30-50 miles of stop and go traffic you will be thankful to have a automatic.

I still prefer manuals. My jeep and f250 are both manual. I drove semi trucks in new york and los angelas so a manual in a car does not bother me. I'm the last of my kind as I also know how to drive a semi with a main and a brownie.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Elkins45 said:
...The 2.7 makes 159hp and 180ft lbs, about the same as a 2.0L equipped Dodge Caliber.
You're right about Caliber HP, but the 2 liter engine only had 140lb-ft+ of torque. I don't think even the 2.4 liter Caliber option had 180lb-ft of torque. I would have known if the 2Liter Caliber had even a distant glimpse of double hundred numbers. However, there was a short run of the SRT-4 w/Turbo that had OK numbers. The engineers had tried to get 300HP & 300lb-ft of torque, but were some short.

Get an older truck. You will have less features but at least you won't have to put up with those intrusive driving nannies they put in vehicles now a days!

Originally Posted by ridgerunner
Get an older truck.......you won't have to put up with those intrusive driving nannies.....
I like when trucks are behind my 5 speed, EPA rated 32MPG car that gave me 18 tanks in a row, over 40MPG with highs of 47+ & 48+MPG. I love to see the RAM logo behind me, most of all. My MPG is so high that I'm exploring more of my lovely Washington state. While behind me, truckers can't waste their fuel as is their normal wont. Yeah, I not only save my gas money, I'm saving other people's money for them, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by anndel
I thought Tacoma 4x4's come in 4cyl as well. I guess you'll have to go for an older 4x4 truck with a 4 cyl engine.

4cyl and auto only.

I have a manual everything 4x4 reg cab V6 truck and auto everything 4x4 V6 SUV that share the same basic running gear. Love them both, but if I had to downsize my fleet the manual truck would be the one to go.

Get an old ranger and put a 2.5 L or 3.0L Jag/Ford Al alloy Duratec V6 in there with a 5M.

Or better yet A flathead V8!

Yeah a flatty in a Ranger - the coolest!

New? = garbage and pricey.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
I have a manual everything 4x4 reg cab V6 truck and auto everything 4x4 V6 SUV... Love them both, but if I had to downsize my fleet the manual truck would be the one to go.
Wife & I have two Hyundai Elantras (same ext. color), one stripped manual, one automatic with lots of googaws. Wife & I agree that if one had to go, it would be the....... automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back