2018 Honda Pilot - 0w-20 Amsoil SS - 7000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Are you following honda MM for OCI and changing the filter every other as well?

Or are you doing your own thing?

UD

I'm following the MM for OCI but will change the filter every time for the first 30k miles and then go to changing it every other time from then on. Makes me feel better to change it more frequently during break-in...although probably makes zero difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD

UD

I'm following the MM for OCI but will change the filter every time for the first 30k miles and then go to changing it every other time from then on. Makes me feel better to change it more frequently during break-in...although probably makes zero difference.

Digital technology and robotics cut the break-in period in half, versus the old days. Unless you are always feathering the gas pedal, your vehicle was likely broke-in at 10k.

Perhaps it's naive but I just don't buy this ever being a real issue in the absence of some other bigger mistake.
I don't think you're naive here. You're playing some odds. The odds are very much on your favor. A conservative calculation of your odds: Let's say 1 in 1,000 Pilots have engine failures they could blame on the oiling system (0.001). Now think the dealership is suspicious about what oil you used and/or how often you changed it. The odds are about 1 in 2 (0.5) that they would simply look at the color of the oil and look under the valve cover to check for sludge or signs of not changing the oil. Otherwise they could just say "We see a non-API approved oil on one of your receipts". Calculated: 0.001 x 0.5 = 0.0005, or a 0.05% chance of this ever being a problem. Good odds.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

UD

Digital technology and robotics cut the break-in period in half, versus the old days. Unless you are always feathering the gas pedal, your vehicle was likely broke-in at 10k.

We will see with the next lab report
smile.gif

Looks good with the exception of flashpoint. It not to far off but still off. I would keep an eye on the oil level. I would also worry about carbon forming on valves.

The engine is very similar to my 2017 Ridgeline.

I put a filtermag on the break in filter and caught a lot of crap on it, but I tow a lot with the rig.
I yanked the factory AO series filter and replaced with an ultra and put the mag back on.

I'll swap the filter every other change going forward, but won't run the oil past the OLM, or go for any extended sumps with this ride.

Super fine DI soot being the culprit in my decision to respect the MM.

In my older non DI port injected rigs Ill run 15K + on a sump and I'll spend a bit more on extended life formulas.

Makes little sense for me to spend big dollars on extended life oil that Im going to dump(suck) out at 10K or less.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back