Crashed the Volt this morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
This is where a dashcam pays for itself

I've been telling people this for years.
14Accent- good luck with Progressive. I'm not too impressed with their subrogation department. Took me close to a year fighting the other party's insurance for them to finally admit fault for an incident that took place Jan 2018. And it was captured on dashcam. I don't think Progressive tried very hard.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
I sometimes drive very large Prevost style coaches.
If I ever need to make a tight right turn, I will straddle the lanes and always use the turn signal to warn other drivers of my intentions in advance.

You do good.
Others not...
I had a thread somewhere with "almost had a meeting with a semi": The full cistern just pull in front of me and the car behind me. My save that day was: 2 used new-ish tires (good surface for braking) and good peripheral vision (he blinked for 2 seconds than pull right).

14Accent/OP, sorry you have to go trough that.

Originally Posted by road_rascal

14Accent- good luck with Progressive. I'm not too impressed with their subrogation department. Took me close to a year fighting the other party's insurance for them to finally admit fault for an incident that took place Jan 2018. And it was captured on dashcam. I don't think Progressive tried very hard.

I agree on the dash cam, but it could work for or against you.

Insurance companies will often make the determination that you should have had time to react to what was happening in front of you. I've been down that unpleasant road.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by road_rascal

I agree on the dash cam, but it could work for or against you.

Insurance companies will often make the determination that you should have had time to react to what was happening in front of you. I've been down that unpleasant road.

Well, I have an update: I have footage of the accident and the truck driver and his buddies driving generally recklessly just prior to the accident. I now know the truck company, and have exact time stamps with footage showing exactly what I described to a tee. I'm just waiting for the security manager to talk to the building manager to release the footage, which he doesn't think will be a problem, and I can bring in a flash drive to make a copy. It's not the best footage in the world, but it accurately depicts the weather conditions that morning and clearly shows the collision just as I described.

I'll be talking to my adjuster tomorrow to let him know.

Depends, I wasn't there but the way some folks drive these days, they see a truck in the right lane with his left blinker on their immediate reaction is I gotta floor the accelerator and get ahead of him before I have to slow down to let him merge/and/or turn left. Otherwise I might lose 5 seconds of my day to that annoying truck.

I see it all the time by me.

Originally Posted by tiger862
In Louisiana if you leave they come after you for leaving the scene of an accident and you are at fault. Glad you are ok.

Around here they tell you to exchange insurance info and don't call the police unless someone is hurt. Labor is expensive (sending a cop out to see what's going on is probably more expensive than your fender bender).

Let the insurances deal with each other.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by tiger862
In Louisiana if you leave they come after you for leaving the scene of an accident and you are at fault. Glad you are ok.

Around here they tell you to exchange insurance info and don't call the police unless someone is hurt. Labor is expensive (sending a cop out to see what's going on is probably more expensive than your fender bender).

Let the insurances deal with each other.

That's what I've been told in MN, as well.

I mailed in an accident report today, I didn't hear from either the building with the camera or the insurance adjuster today, so I guess we'll see what next week brings.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Depends, I wasn't there but the way some folks drive these days, they see a truck in the right lane with his left blinker on their immediate reaction is I gotta floor the accelerator and get ahead of him before I have to slow down to let him merge/and/or turn left. Otherwise I might lose 5 seconds of my day to that annoying truck.

I see it all the time by me.

People aren't mind readers. If the truck needs both lanes to turn, then it should be straddling both lanes before the turn. Or have a sign on the back indicating its abnormal turning behavior, such as city buses sometimes do.

Maybe the people want to get away from the annoying truck driver. I've had people in pickup trucks (they're big, but they're not dumptruck big) on a four-lane road be in the right lane, me in the left, both of us turning left onto another four-lane road, both of us just need to stay in our own lane, and the pickup truck comes halfway into my lane during his turn. He didn't do that because he needed more turning area. He did it because he didn't want to take the turn at a slower speed.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Well, I have an update: I have footage of the accident and the truck driver and his buddies driving generally recklessly just prior to the accident. I now know the truck company, and have exact time stamps with footage showing exactly what I described to a tee.

internet-high-five.jpg

Originally Posted by The Critic
Any update on this?

It probably didn't turn out well....or we would have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back