Removing AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I want to remove the AC compressor and bracket. Potentially some hard lines.

I want to keep the interior AC stuff and condenser as I may re-install it once day.

I assume that I need to ensure that the lines don't have any debris enter them after removal. How would I do that?
And, what else do I need to keep in mind here?

There is no freon and I've previously removed it so I just want to know what I need to do to ensure no damage is done and I can install it back one day.

If you may want to reinstall it one day, just leave it installed.

Just curious on the benefits of removing it?

The compressor broke on the cherokee. Unfortunately I didn't cap the lines, so no more AC for me ever again.

At least with the Cherokee I could easily get a bypass pulley.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Those same kind of caps and plugs that come with new AC lines is what you need.

Need a little bit more by sealing the cap since the engine compartment is full of oily grimes/fumes/gaseous form that can go into the lines without too much effort.
You may need a threaded sealed cap.
Then vacuum the system as much as you can.

I don't think it's a good idea right now...let alone in a couple of years.

This has a serpentine belt, right?

OK, so, you remove the compressor, will that belt still have a route that works?

Doubt it.

So, you can remove the AC, if you're willing to forgo the alternator, too...just cut the belt.

Otherwise, you're going to have to keep that AC compressor in place.

The power steering and AC run off of the same auxillary belt.
I have bought a shorter one to bypass the AC.

The car is exclusively used as a track toy. I doubt I will ever need AC in it again but I don't want to take that option away.

I did it on a Corolla 5 speed once. Shaved around 100# of useless stuff. Improved throttle response a bit too.

Originally Posted by Spetz
The power steering and AC run off of the same auxillary belt.
I have bought a shorter one to bypass the AC.

The car is exclusively used as a track toy. I doubt I will ever need AC in it again but I don't want to take that option away.

Then the belt arrangement is different than in our market.

If you can get a belt that runs just the PS, I would have no problem taking it off. Seal off the lines and have fun.

Here, the routing is around the alternator, and there is no way to bypass it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back