Recommended laptop carrying case

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last umpteen years I have used Targus laptop bags. When my first one broke, I got the same model to replace it with:
https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Black...763814&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

The first one had to be replaced after two laptops, some 8 years or so, when the zippers started malfunctioning. Now, this second one, after three years, has the same problem---the zippers holding the laptop section shut, have broken and are no longer zipping the two sections of the case together.

8 years is more than enough for one carrying case, especially as often as I use it. 3 years--not so much.

Is there any brand that makes laptop cases that last year after year? I suppose I could go back to them---an average of 5.5 years really isn't bad, given that I use it on a near daily basis. But I'm open to other recommendations, that's for sure. I paid about $50 for the second one, I'd like to stay around or below that figure if I can.

I suppose so, but I absolutely like the features of a dedicated laptop bag like the one I linked to--there isn't room for the laptop to move around, and there are plenty of pockets for me to use to insert papers and other items I use during the day.

I have a targus one that is leather. It's now about 10 years old and looks like new. Love it. The center pocket is padded as well.

(It has a carrying strap, just not shown.)
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by paulri
For the last umpteen years I have used Targus laptop bags. When my first one broke, I got the same model to replace it with:
https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Black...763814&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

The first one had to be replaced after two laptops, some 8 years or so, when the zippers started malfunctioning. Now, this second one, after three years, has the same problem---the zippers holding the laptop section shut, have broken and are no longer zipping the two sections of the case together.

8 years is more than enough for one carrying case, especially as often as I use it. 3 years--not so much.

Is there any brand that makes laptop cases that last year after year? I suppose I could go back to them---an average of 5.5 years really isn't bad, given that I use it on a near daily basis. But I'm open to other recommendations, that's for sure. I paid about $50 for the second one, I'd like to stay around or below that figure if I can.

Targus has a lifetime warranty I think. I remember sending back a case and got a new one. I had to pay shipping.

Many people like backpacks rather than a case.

Some of the decision is how much other stuff do carry with the laptop?

I have a Targus case for close to 10 years now, it has been used on many trips and still looks like new. Last trip I used it on I packed t-shirts and other items in it increasing what I could carry on the plane. It was well worth the money I spent for it.

I didn't realize that. I'll give them a call when I get home, and email them pics of the zippers on teh case. I'll see what they say.

Originally Posted by Donald

Targus has a lifetime warranty I think. I remember sending back a case and got a new one. I had to pay shipping.

Originally Posted by paulri
I suppose so, but I absolutely like the features of a dedicated laptop bag like the one I linked to--there isn't room for the laptop to move around, and there are plenty of pockets for me to use to insert papers and other items I use during the day.

Thinking something like this one. Dell Professional Backpack 15

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/del...mp;c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Dell won't give me access to USA site. looks like the 17" version is on sale.

They make laptop specific backpacks as well. Been carrying a laptop for work for almost 20 years...the first half or so with a bag just like you pictured, then I switched to a laptop specific backpack. They are easier to carry, they have a padded laptop specific sleeve just like your current bag, plus you can fit an extra pair of shoes and a change of clothes and use it as your carry on. Laptop backpacks are sweet...never go back to the old shoulder style.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077S1ZFZF/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sounds promising. I just called them, and sure enough even though it is just over 3 years old, they said they would send me a RMA, and then send me a free replacement. Hard to argue with support like that!

Originally Posted by Donald

Swissgear makes excellent backpacks. Some of them are convertible bags with concealable backpack straps.

I really loved my Brenthaven when I had a MacBook Whitebook, it fit the laptop like a glove and it was built pretty beefy. I occasionally use it for a my 13" rMBP.

I now change off between a Rickshaw messenger bag(it's a small local company from the founder of Timbuk2 bags in SF, mostly locally made as well) or a Patagonia Refugio 28 backpack. My personal laptop is 13" Mac, both bags do fit my work laptop which is a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, the laptop sleeve in the messenger bag didn't fit a T450.

Originally Posted by NO2
Swissgear makes excellent backpacks. Some of them are convertible bags with concealable backpack straps.

+1
Had one for 5 years, including some clothes or tools in it...
...pretty good for $50

Originally Posted by NO2

I belieave that is the brand that my bag is. It isn't a back pack but a regular case with a shoulder strap. It has held up well for two years of being beaten around in my truck and equipment.

I grabbed a casebuy laptop bag off ebay. They're initially sold on amazon but some sellers have dual accounts. It was only about 20 bucks and comes with one side padded to protect against drops and the other had a waterproof sleeve inside the case.

Not the least bit disappointed with the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back