Quick Struts vs Replacing the struts by themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Struts are a great option for a >200k mile beater where it is not cost effective to rebuild the assembly with OE parts (and everything is truly worn out).

Otherwise, buy your favorite strut (all of the aftermarket ones are equally questionable) and rebuild it with OE hardware as needed.

For the record, I have used KYB quick struts before with good results. However, I did receive a mount from them recently where the bearings sounded like sand.

I got one of those Harbor Freight spring compressors. They take a long time to use, but they work.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I got one of those Harbor Freight spring compressors. They take a long time to use, but they work.

Like I said, you're a brave person. If you read the reviews on those types of compressors, there's stories of them bending or slipping off. Very dangerous.

Last edited:
I had contemplated using the Monroe quickstrut a few years back in my Trailblazer but opted not to as I figured the strut will not last and I will have to replace anyways. I used Monroe Sensatracs. I bought a spring compressor (like the one from harbour freight) on sale for 40$. Worked like a charm. Factor in an extra 1.5 hours (high side) in the job for 2 struts. Now these Sensatracs were garbage and were shot after 60,000km and 4 years. I replaced with Bilstein 4600's as they are well regarded and should last at least what the factory Bilstein's lasted, which was 8 years and 164,000km. So you have to ask yourself how many times you want to do this job and if the cheaper quickstrut is actually quicker or cheaper in the long run.

compressor.jpg

teardown 2.jpg

Originally Posted by BrianF
I had contemplated using the Monroe quickstrut a few years back in my Trailblazer but opted not to as I figured the strut will not last and I will have to replace anyways. I used Monroe Sensatracs. I bought a spring compressor (like the one from harbour freight) on sale for 40$. Worked like a charm. Factor in an extra 1.5 hours (high side) in the job for 2 struts. Now these Sensatracs were garbage and were shot after 60,000km and 4 years. I replaced with Bilstein 4600's as they are well regarded and should last at least what the factory Bilstein's lasted, which was 8 years and 164,000km. So you have to ask yourself how many times you want to do this job and if the cheaper quickstrut is actually quicker or cheaper in the long run.

Did the sensatracs have the lifetime warranty? I think they had a lower brand that only had a one year warranty. I don't think they even carry that line anymore. Struts are only supposed to last 50-60k miles but people usually get a bit more than that out of them, but they're weak after a certain stage.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Struts are only supposed to last 50-60k miles but people usually get a bit more than that out of them, but they're weak after a certain stage.

I have over 130k miles on the original factory struts. Car is starting to float on the freeway, but rides nice.

Best I remember , the HF spring compressor I have , used " U-Clamps " to attach to the spring . The one I currently find on their website are different . Not sure which is safer . I was very careful when I used mine . Thank you for your concern for my safety . But I was a construction worker before I got old and fat . Risk can not be eliminated , if you work on vehicles or construction . Only minimized / managed . ( care could fall on you , if not careful . )

Otherwise , do not DIY .

Best of luck to you , :)

Struts are only supposed to last 50-60k miles but people usually get a bit more than that out of them, but they're weak after a certain stage.

I have over 130k miles on the original factory struts. Car is starting to float on the freeway, but rides nice.

They're probably already shot and you just didn't notice. Every time I change them, I notice how much firmer the ride is afterwards. You've just gotten used to an under damped ride.

They're probably already shot and you just didn't notice. Every time I change them, I notice how much firmer the ride is afterwards. You've just gotten used to an under damped ride.

Would there be any reason to change the springs?

Some cars do have issues with sagging springs, and in most of the country, the springs can rust away.

And anyway, with quick struts, there is no need to compress the spring and you get all new parts, so there's no reason not to change the springs
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Some cars do have issues with sagging springs, and in most of the country, the springs can rust away.

And anyway, with quick struts, there is no need to compress the spring and you get all new parts, so there's no reason not to change the springs
smile.gif

The the reviews I've read on Amazon from guys that have installed quick struts say that the ride height has increased from the stock ride height after installation; and that was across several different brands. Being that the ride hight on my car is fine; and that the springs are not corroded at all; I'm hesitant to install quick struts.
eek.gif

Springs wear out just like struts and strut mounts. They might last a little longer than struts. But if you're going to change out the struts, you mind as well change out the springs. I have do the springs on my car. Ride height was fine at 100k and somewhere between that and 120k, the springs dropped a little.

No matter how many horror stories you hear about quick struts, just do the quick struts, you will always get them because so many people install them. You can try KYB or Moog, but as others said, it's a crapshoot whether they will be good or not. The odds are good that they will be decent, only the ones who get bad ones complain. I would always do a quick strut if it were available. Lifetime warranty and doesn't take that long to swap. You're not saving any money using old parts as labor is a big part of the job if you're doing it piecemeal. Quick strut with a lifetime warranty means easy in and out in 2-3 years if they turn out to be bad, 5-6 years or more if they're good. Cost is still cheaper if they're bad in 3 years as you just pay labor. Plus less likely to get killed by a spring...

I did have a set of Monroe at one point where the mount went after 2 years. Never knew it was the mount as I figured the noise was a sway bar bushing or some other front end piece and it didn't occur to me that the mount could go in just two years. Noise went away when I changed struts and the noise didn't come back with the new set. Like I said, luck of the draw sometimes.

Springs wear out just like struts and strut mounts. They might last a little longer than struts. But if you're going to change out the struts, you mind as well change out the springs. I have do the springs on my car. Ride height was fine at 100k and somewhere between that and 120k, the springs dropped a little.

No matter how many horror stories you hear about quick struts, just do the quick struts, you will always get them because so many people install them. You can try KYB or Moog, but as others said, it's a crapshoot whether they will be good or not. The odds are good that they will be decent, only the ones who get bad ones complain. I would always do a quick strut if it were available. Lifetime warranty and doesn't take that long to swap. You're not saving any money using old parts as labor is a big part of the job if you're doing it piecemeal. Quick strut with a lifetime warranty means easy in and out in 2-3 years if they turn out to be bad, 5-6 years or more if they're good. Cost is still cheaper if they're bad in 3 years as you just pay labor. Plus less likely to get killed by a spring...

I did have a set of Monroe at one point where the mount went after 2 years. Never knew it was the mount as I figured the noise was a sway bar bushing or some other front end piece and it didn't occur to me that the mount could go in just two years. Noise went away when I changed struts and the noise didn't come back with the new set. Like I said, luck of the draw sometimes.

What if the springs are purchased separately from the struts; would they be better quality that way?

By the way, the factory original struts say "Monroe Sensi-Track" on them.

What if the springs are purchased separately from the struts; would they be better quality that way?

By the way, the factory original struts say "Monroe Sensi-Track" on them.

If you can find actual OE springs, they will be better than what you get in quick struts. If they are still available from the dealer, or if you can find ACDelco springs online that say "GM Original Equipment" they will be the actual OE springs and better than the aftermarket. Brand new OE springs may not be available anymore.

OTOH, if you buy aftermarket springs, including ACDelco "Professional" springs, they are no better than what comes on the quick struts.

The same goes for strut mounts as well.

If Monroe made the original factory struts on your car and Monroe is the OE supplier, there is certainly nothing wrong with using Monroe's quick struts for that application.

If you can find actual OE springs, they will be better than what you get in quick struts. If they are still available from the dealer, or if you can find ACDelco springs online that say "GM Original Equipment" they will be the actual OE springs and better than the aftermarket. Brand new OE springs may not be available anymore.

OTOH, if you buy aftermarket springs, including ACDelco "Professional" springs, they are no better than what comes on the quick struts.

The same goes for strut mounts as well.

If Monroe made the original factory struts on your car and Monroe is the OE supplier, there is certainly nothing wrong with using Monroe's quick struts for that application.

Thanks for that information about ACDelco; that's very useful.

What about RockAuto Wholesale Closeout Monroe #76185 struts for $36.79 each? Are they any good?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=223172&cc=1358018&jsn=415

Rock Auto wholesale closeout parts are often very old. Plus, the closeout parts only have a 30-day warranty. The regular inventory Monroe shocks have a lifetime warranty, and their quick struts also have a lifetime warranty which covers all its components.

Monroe recently changed the design of their shocks and struts. The new line is called OESpectrum and is much better than the old Sensa-Trac. Monroe did not change part numbers when going from Sensa-Trac to OESpectrum.

Rock Auto wholesale closeout parts are often very old. Plus, the closeout parts only have a 30-day warranty. The regular inventory Monroe shocks have a lifetime warranty, and their quick struts also have a lifetime warranty which covers all its components.

Monroe recently changed the design of their shocks and struts. The new line is called OESpectrum and is much better than the old Sensa-Trac. Monroe did not change part numbers when going from Sensa-Trac to OESpectrum.

Again, very good information. Much appreciated.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back