How do you prefer your vehicle seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckets or bench?
Form fitting or tight?
Soft and cushy or stiff?

I like buckets but they need to be big ones without side bolsters that make me feel cramped.

Currently my bench seat in my Grand Marquis is perfect. Lots of room and on the soft side.

Whatever my bad back says is OK. It's particular and usually involves me getting a power seat that I can manipulate into a comfortable position.
The seat I have the Caravan is power, my dad's that I drove previously had the stock non-power seat and it was brutal for my back so I ended up with a chunk of memory foam in a pillow case while driving it.

Last edited:
Depends on the vehicle, but I typically prefer bucket seats like below
[Linked Image]

Exception being in a truck, for some reason I just like a cushy bench seat with center armrest that lifts for a third person or...activities...

Originally Posted by ZZman
I like buckets but they need to be big ones without side bolsters
If you take away the side bolsters, then they're no longer bucket seats.
smile.gif

I like bucket seats, on the firmer side.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Depends on the vehicle, but I typically prefer bucket seats like below
[Linked Image]

Exception being in a truck, for some reason I just like a cushy bench seat with center armrest that lifts for a third person or...activities...

Sharp interior. But those seats would definitely be too confining for me. I am overweight...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I like buckets but they need to be big ones without side bolsters
If you take away the side bolsters, then they're no longer bucket seats.
smile.gif

I like bucket seats, on the firmer side.

I guess that would be true! O.k, not real large or long bolsters.

I wish I could design my own. Heated and cooled cloth with a nice soft velour. Heat and cooling should be able to run at the same time, and the heat for the back should be able to turn on separately from the bottom. 4 way power lumbar and power adjustments for everything else. Memory so it goes to exactly where I want it each time. Nice big bolsters for both cushions so it cuddles me in the seat, and make those power adjustable too. Massaging! They should massage me too.

Being a middle aged man, some kind of integrated urinal function would be fantastic for long trips...at least when I'm driving alone.
;^)

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Being a middle aged man, some kind of integrated urinal function would be fantastic for long trips...at least when I'm driving alone.
;^)

I guess the old pop bottle trick may not be practical or as easy anymore....lol

Bucket seats are useful for sporty driving, to keep the driver in position. Marginally safer in crashes as well.
Bench seats are good for long distance driving. The driver can change positions and fidget around to relieve the fatigue.

I really miss my 91 Mercury Marquis. It had crushed velour and nice, well-sprung bench seats for long distance comfort. Nowadays, seats have about one inch of foam pad. No thanks.

BMW and Mini sport seats are my favorites- although the seats in my Mazdaspeed 3 were also excellent. I prefer them to be heated and I also like the adjustable side bolsters that are available on most newer BMWs.

;^)

Not since I saw Dumb And Dumber...

Originally Posted by StevieC
Whatever my bad back says is OK. It's particular and usually involves me getting a power seat that I can manipulate into a comfortable position.
The seat I have the Caravan is power, my dad's that I drove previously had the stock non-power seat and it was brutal for my back so I ended up with a chunk of memory foam in a pillow case while driving it.

My seat in Caravan is manual and I have it set just about straight on back. I had back surgery and wear a brace on long trips normally but not so much so with Caravan as they are comfortable to me. A little too high for the wife but I built a small step to get her in.

Last edited:
I've sat in a few cars with super deep bucket seats. None of my cars ever had side bolsters quite like that, but I found it was pretty comfortable. However, I'm used to driving small cars and it's not a big deal to me. I was test driving a 2018 Civic Si, and my kid was sinking pretty low in the rear bucket seat.

IF I could have (air bag fitted, and NHSTA approved, since that is mandated nowadays) racing shell style seats, I would be overjoyed!
smile.gif
19.gif

Did NHSTA/DOT recently outlaw seats with an integrated headrest in the back part (vs. the completely separate type of headrest on posts)?

I ask because even on cars which used to have the one piece, integrated headrest (like the Scoobie STI, etc.) now seem to ALL have the separate, adjustable type (except for some exotics/'hypercars'/etc.).
21.gif

Buckets are sweet but you will kill the bolster on the drivers side. I'm not fat but I am 6' 230 and the buckets in my Jetta are probably too small for me. If you take corners fast in a leather seat without bolsters you will slide around.

Benches #1 for trucks. I saw a GMT400 burb on ebay once with a leather front bench! Awesome!

;^)

That's where wiper fluid bottles come in handy. Bigger opening and hold more "liquid" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back