Nokian WG R4

Status
Not open for further replies.
My winter and summer tires are wearing down, and my 2011 Malibu has 152k on her now. She runs great and has been well maintained, but I really don't want to invest in two more sets of tires again, as I plan to replace her at 200k.

Living in MI, the winters can be mild or harsh like it has been this year, and I drive about 25-30k miles a year, so I'm on the road a decent amount. I really loved the performance of the Hankook Icept Evo winter tires I've been using, and dread going back to an all season. I've been looking at the Nokian WG R4 lately, and I haven't found a whole lot of reviews out there. The tread design looks similar to the Icept Evo's, but they're supposedly much better in wet conditions with significantly better tread life.

Any opinions on the Nokians?

Also, do not buy Hankook's Kinergy GT tires. Pure trash. Poor tread life, and dangerous in wet conditions.

The WRG4 is a snow tire marketed as an all-season. I'd get an all-weather tire like the Michelin CrossClimate+, which should fit your Malibu 215/55R17 (available from tire rack). They are pretty expensive but a lot cheaper than two sets of tires, and are a top of the line grand touring tire with near snow tire winter capability. Another cheaper option is the General RT43 or Continental Pure Contact LS, which are not quite up to the CrossClimate+ in winter but are just as good for 3 season use. All are better than a winter tire for the slushy, rainy conditions of SE Michigan winters - but not as good in heavy snow or ice (but much better than a typical all season). We have the R43 on our Subaru, and it barely slips in inclement winter weather. If you live in the UP or northern LP, I'd consider sticking with dedicated snows.

Last edited:
I would do two sets. You are making a lot of miles, two sets will pay themselves fast.
If not, WR G4 will be fine in winter, though in summer you might see excessive wear.

welcome2.gif

If you already have two sets of wheels, you might as well continue using separate sets of tires. The biggest hurdle against people using buying a second set of tires is the expense of the second set of wheels, being able to store them, etc. But since you already do the separate summer/winter tires, there's no reason to cease doing so.

And there is no guarantee that the WRG4 will last 50k

What is your tire size?
smile.gif

I've had WR G2s on the Volvo in my sig, and currently running WR G3s. The G2s were a little better in the snow, but also wore a little faster than the G3s. I would not hesitate at all to buy the G4s, they look solid to me. I'm currently running Rotiiva A/Ts on my Sierra, but only have maybe 1000 miles on them. They are fantastic in snot, wet, or dry. Time will tell on the wear factor.

Originally Posted by Backstache
My winter and summer tires are wearing down, and my 2011 Malibu has 152k on her now. She runs great and has been well maintained, but I really don't want to invest in two more sets of tires again, as I plan to replace her at 200k.
Living in MI, the winters can be mild or harsh like it has been this year, and I drive about 25-30k miles a year, so I'm on the road a decent amount. I really loved the performance of the Hankook Icept Evo winter tires I've been using, and dread going back to an all season. I've been looking at the Nokian WG R4 lately, and I haven't found a whole lot of reviews out there. The tread design looks similar to the Icept Evo's, but they're supposedly much better in wet conditions with significantly better tread life.
Any opinions on the Nokians? Also, do not buy Hankook's Kinergy GT tires. Pure trash. Poor tread life, and dangerous in wet conditions.

I had WGR3 and loved them here in the Toronto area, wanted to get the WGR4 for my Lexus but they weren't available in size 20" so i got Toyo Celcius.
WGRs are not winter tires made to work as all seasons, but are like the Michelin cross climate or the Toyo Celcius, they are "All Weather" tires. There are some differences in that the WRG is a winter tire made to work in summer weather and the Toyo a summer tire made to work in winter weather, so on that premise there are small differences. The Nokian will give a slight edge in braking over the Toyo in winter, I don't know about the Michelins, they too wen't available in northamerica in 20". I think this is the way to go if you don't live in the boonies or where snowfall is high and constant.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I had WGR3 and loved them here in the Toronto area, wanted to get the WGR4 for my Lexus but they weren't available in size 20" so i got Toyo Celcius.
WGRs are not winter tires made to work as all seasons, but are like the Michelin cross climate or the Toyo Celcius, they are "All Weather" tires. There are some differences in that the WRG is a winter tire made to work in summer weather and the Toyo a summer tire made to work in winter weather, so on that premise there are small differences. The Nokian will give a slight edge in braking over the Toyo in winter, I don't know about the Michelins, they too wen't available in northamerica in 20". I think this is the way to go if you don't live in the boonies or where snowfall is high and constant.

Does this mean that WGRs are winter tires or not. I am confused by your statements.
Nokian sells them as winter (central European winter - in North America they seem to be called performance winter) tires in Europe. I do not think trip over the Atlantic changes their behaviour.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by NO2
The WRG4 is a snow tire marketed as an all-season. I'd get an all-weather tire like the Michelin CrossClimate+, which should fit your Malibu 215/55R17 (available from tire rack). They are pretty expensive but a lot cheaper than two sets of tires, and are a top of the line grand touring tire with near snow tire winter capability. Another cheaper option is the General RT43 or Continental Pure Contact LS, which are not quite up to the CrossClimate+ in winter but are just as good for 3 season use. All are better than a winter tire for the slushy, rainy conditions of SE Michigan winters - but not as good in heavy snow or ice (but much better than a typical all season). We have the R43 on our Subaru, and it barely slips in inclement winter weather. If you live in the UP or northern LP, I'd consider sticking with dedicated snows.

No it's not. Nokian has tires they market as all-season such as Entyre 2.0, Z-line A/S and Entyre C/S

Nokian markets the WR G4 as an all-weather tire. It says it on their website as a category. Nokian has been marketing all-weather tires well before the Michelin Cross Climates.

I had the WRG3s on my wife's BMW for a few winters and they were great, so I expect the same from the WRG4s. For areas that don't get deep snow these tires are pretty much equal in performance to a true snow tire, without the hassle and extra cost of having two sets of tires. I am currently running different all weather tires on my Honda and BMW (made by Sailun) and they also have performed very well in the snow and ice here.

All weather tires are a major improvement over all seasons, that's for sure. And they qualify for the same insurance discount as snow tires do. (in my case I'm saving 5% on the BMW and the Honda)

Be aware that several new innovation patents (affecting Nokia also, the name Nokia(n) refers to "by Nokia" in Suomi language) for rubber sheathed studs are being manufactured. This reduces road noise and increases both grip (black ice) and durability of tires.

Originally Posted by krzyss
Originally Posted by Pelican

Does this mean that WGRs are winter tires or not. I am confused by your statements.
Nokian sells them as winter (central European winter - in North America they seem to be called performance winter) tires in Europe. I do not think trip over the Atlantic changes their behaviour. KrzyÅ›

Yes the WGR are winter tires.

[/quote] No it's not. Nokian has tires they market as all-season such as Entyre 2.0, Z-line A/S and Entyre C/S
Nokian markets the WR G4 as an all-weather tire. It says it on their website as a category. Nokian has been marketing all-weather tires well before the Michelin Cross Climates.[/quote]

Exactly !!!

Thank you all for the replies! My biggest concern at this point is the treadlife with the WG R4. Michigan summers can be hot, and I really don't want to find out that the Nokian's wear like crazy driving 100 miles a day in the summer heat.

N02, thanks I'll check out the tires you suggested. I've always wanted to give Continentals a try.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by NO2

No it's not. Nokian has tires they market as all-season such as Entyre 2.0, Z-line A/S and Entyre C/S

Nokian markets the WR G4 as an all-weather tire. It says it on their website as a category. Nokian has been marketing all-weather tires well before the Michelin Cross Climates.

If you look at the tire test in Consumer reports, the WRG4 profile is more biased to snow. Here is what they say:

Category WRG4 CrossClimate+ PureContact LS
Price $160 $171 $128
Dry good very good very good
Wet fair very good good
Handling good very good very good
HydroPlain very good very good very good
Snow very good very good very good
Ice excellent very good very good
Ride good very good very good
Noise very good very good very good
Roll Rest good very good good
TreadLife 60000 75000 90000
Cost/1000mi $2.66 $2.28 $1.42

All are good tires, but have a different mix of strengths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back