Orange washer fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Yes, that orange Rain-X washer fluid is quite popular. It's about $3 at Walmart
smile.gif

If you have a windshield washer fluid sensor, I wouldn't use it. Tends to gum them up and then you have to replace the sensor. I only use the blue stuff.

Yep: https://bimmertips.com/pro-tip-dont-use-rain-x-washer-fluid-in-your-bmw/

It shouldn't affect "common" cars - but looks like I'll avoid Rain-X or Prestone fluids for cars with washer fluid level switches and filters. I have one car with such a thing(Lexus LS430 with a switch and headlight washers).

Is it me or are folks easily confused in this day and age.

Originally Posted by Bud

Folks have always been easily confused.

above:
Brake fluid should be light straw color, not blue
Silicone brake fluid should be purple
Motor oil should be brown, not blue or red
Manual Transmission/gear oil should be greenish yellow
Any more colors ?
ATF should be red
Yes on Mazda's new blue trannie fluid. just bought some
battery acid should be clear
White grease......you know

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Bud

Folks have always been easily confused.

image002.png

I've been using Rain-X washer fluid forever in vehicles with level sensors and never had an issue yet. Although here in NY the washer pump rusts out before it clogs.

Whatever came in the Subaru from the factory was blue, but it was straight up ammonia.

not sure who actually makes it, but i get our meijer/Autoquest MAXXX stuff.
it's basically the orange rainx, but it's Purple.

I like Purple.

besides, going with my recommendation of rain-x fluid cost my colorbind buddy both washer pumps in his Vibe.
I told him to get the Orange Rain-x. He bought the Green "Summer only" formula.
both motors froze and split their casings.
"it looked orange to me!"

he can see Purple.

The reason that ATE brake fluid is blue is for you to alternate it with the gold fluid to make sure your lines are flushed

Originally Posted by 97prizm
The reason that ATE brake fluid is blue is for you to alternate it with the gold fluid to make sure your lines are flushed

Try to get the blue in the USA now, they have it banned, brke fluid must be clear to light straw.

You ought to see the Magura blood hydraulic fluid.

Rod

Originally Posted by atikovi
OK so I Googled it and RainX does indeed make an orange washer fluid so I guess someone didn't put Dexcool in the washer bottle which is right next to the coolant bottle on this Saturn Vue. Fluids look identical. Why would RainX make it that color in the first place?

Look at all the colors that are used for coolants alone. If all fluids were color-coded, how many colors would it take? People who can neither read and understand labels nor correctly identify filler caps should not service any vehicle. Or they may want to do a taste test.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

You ought to see the Magura blood hydraulic fluid.

Or Shimano Mineral Oil, which is pink. Supposedly Campy's stuff is also blue like Magura Blood.

Usually, HSMO used for automotive braking/suspension in very certain cases(older Jags, Rolls and Bentley as well as Toyota AHC systems) is green in color. Toyota switched over to red after reports of people pouring in washer fluid and contaminating the hydraulic system. Aviation fluid is red(mineral) or purple(phosphate ester, Skydrol) in color.

smile.gif

If you have a windshield washer fluid sensor, I wouldn't use it. Tends to gum them up and then you have to replace the sensor. I only use the blue stuff.

I have been using the orange Rain-X for well over 10 years in multiple vehicles wish washer level sensors with no issues

Originally Posted by Bud

It's me, no, I mean it's you. Wait, what I'm trying to say is that I am confusing me and you. What really confuses me is when you say "folks" you are really talking about me without mentioning me.

Originally Posted by blupupher
smile.gif

I have been using the orange Rain-X for well over 10 years in multiple vehicles wish washer level sensors with no issues

Must just be BMW/Mercedes and maybe a few other makes.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Sniff the coolant bottle. Then sniff the washer fluid bottle. Same?

Or taste it. Coolant is supposed to be bitter so animals don't drink it. Not sure about washer fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back