39,000 Hours on a Honda Generator!

I recently got finished talking with a fellow Honda generator owner. He lives in upstate New York and lives off the grid. He claims to have the record for most hours on a Honda generator (to his knowledge).

The owner retired one of his two Honda EU6500is inverter generators with 39,000 hours! The other just short of that figure, before retirement. He has replaced this discontinued model, with two of the current fuel injected, Honda EU7000is models. One of them, now has 22,000 hours on it.

Interesting conversation I had. He always has at least one generator running 24/7. When I asked to compare the fuel consumption difference fuel injection makes, he told me:
He averages 10-12 hours run time @ 1/2 load on the EU6500is (with a carb). However, the fuel injected EU7000is averaged up to 19 hours @ 1/2 load. As good as those figures are, the back of my mind said, "he is using a ton of gasoline" to keep his place going.

He went on to say how finicky the fuel injected, 7000is was (like a Ferrari). They both tended to bog down and stall on a regular basis. This was until he found out that the fine filter at fuel pump was getting plugged up. Upon taking them out and cleaning them in a solvent, the 7000is would run like new again. His retired 6500is were described as "bulletproof," and he never had these issues.

Before I ended the conversation, I had to ask what motor oil he had been using. He said, just Castrol Syntec 5W30. I wanted to tell him that there are better motor oils than that. However, that would be like telling a 90 year old man what foods he should be eating. As an owner of an EU6500is, I was looking for tips to extend generator longevity. My unit, which I bought used and abused (and cheap), at 3800 hours needed rebuilding when I got it. For the record, I'm using Delo Severe Duty 15W30 after my rebuild.

Originally Posted by Best F100
Before I ended the conversation, I had to ask what motor oil he had been using. He said, just Castrol Syntec 5W30. I wanted to tell him that there are better motor oils than that. However, that would be like telling a 90 year old man what foods he should be eating. As an owner of an EU6500is, I was looking for tips to extend generator longevity. My unit, which I bought used and abused (and cheap), at 3800 hours needed rebuilding when I got it. For the record, I'm using Delo Severe Duty 15W30 after my rebuild.

The engine supposedly lasting 39,000 hours would make a better oil recommendation hard to stomach.

Originally Posted by eljefino
39k hr= 4.45 years.

Only if you don't own/use a generator, so don't realize it is not any sane person's choice for the sole source of power so the real yearly duty cycle is a tiny % of that.

I would say from what I have seen on air cooled small engines like pumps and generators is the regular schedule for maintenance. It is what I see really is important over the product as most generators I see suffer from lack of oil changes and still live so a regular oil change is what seems to keep them really good for life.

Originally Posted by Dave9
it is not any sane person's choice for the sole source of power

You've got that right.
Originally Posted by Best F100
He always has at least one generator running 24/7. When I asked to compare the fuel consumption difference fuel injection makes, he told me:
He averages 10-12 hours run time @ 1/2 load on the EU6500is (with a carb). However, the fuel injected EU7000is averaged up to 19 hours @ 1/2 load. As good as those figures are, the back of my mind said, "he is using a ton of gasoline" to keep his place going.

Yes. At $2/gallon x 4.5 gallons for 12 hours at 2750 watts (ha!), run 24/7, the EU6500is comes to $540/month in fuel for 2000 kwH. The 7000 is 5.1 gal for 18 hours = $408/month. Plus the cost of a new generator every 4.5 years=another $80/month or so, plus maintenance/repairs, plus the cost of transporting fuel in ... And I seriously doubt either will run the stated length of time at 2750 watts and I also doubt he uses that much 24/7, so I bet the actual number is closer to 1000 kwH, so even the 7000 is costing over $.50/kwH. What are electric rates in upstate NY?

On top of all that, he may be off the literal grid, but he's still not independent. Gasoline suppliers are far more fickle than electric suppliers.

There are clearly Honda generator users who run them 24/7. I had planned on doing this at my TN property, as bring in "utility power" would have been $30K.

The newer ones have hour meters on them, so I guess it would be easy to verify the hours.

As many here know, I've run my place off grid for months after the various FL hurricanes. Generators in constant use can hold up quite well. But they are a royal pain to keep refueling.

It's good to note that his claimed run time is well outside the Honda specs.

The 6500 is spec'd to run 14 hours at 1/4 load (1375 watts) on 4.5 gal. (3.1 hours per gal)

The 7000 is spec'd to run 18 hours at 1/4 load (1375 watts) on 5.1 gal. (3.6 hours per gal)

Both are rated for 5500 watts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by eljefino
39k hr= 4.45 years.

Only if you don't own/use a generator, so don't realize it is not any sane person's choice for the sole source of power so the real yearly duty cycle is a tiny % of that.
Agreed. Even those of us who use them for the occasional emergency shut them off at night. Assuming that he ran each one only 8 hours per day, we are looking at over 13 years to accumulate those kind of hours.

If you speak to him again, ask how often he adjusted the valve clearance.

^^^^ goodness, I would've had a 40 gallon marine tank plumbed into the thing.... probably strapped to a utility trailer, with a second to swap in and out for fuel runs....

I just don't get it. For the cost he could have gone with a lister diesel, which would have been better in every way. Who wants to handle unleaded fuel Daily?

^^^^ shoot.

A battery inverter setup to handle the peak loads with a small diesel tut-tutting away to carry the average load would have been far more easy to live with.

If he has to use a gen for those kind of hours I would go with a diesel powered gen. Typically diesel is 40 to 45% more fuel efficient than gas.

Last edited:
I have a used WinCo propane generator that I bought from someone who used it to live off the grid. It certainly did not run all the time. No where close to 39000 hours. The first thing that went was the engine's valves. Propane can cause valves to burn. Next the generator had a problem. He sold it to me with working engine but non working generator. I put a new generator head in it. And I have the original engine he gave me in a box (with burned valves).

That's incredible. Like said, that's almost 4.5yrs of continuous use out of a small OPE engine.

I'm curious why he retired them if they still worked.

At ~10hrs per 4.5 gallons of fuel, that's an incredible amount of gasoline use and cost based on today.

That's incredible. Like said, that's almost 4.5yrs of continuous use out of a small OPE engine.

At ~10hrs per 4.5 gallons of fuel, that's an incredible amount of gasoline use and cost based on today.
my brothers hit 36k and was still running the day he died.

Reactions: JTK

It's kind of amazing that people do this, but there's more than a few around. My buddy helps out an old guy who lives in a trailer in the middle of his land, he comes out about every other day to fill up his water jugs, and once a week to fill up 5-5 gallon jugs of gas and buy food/supplies. He buys and runs cheap generators for an average of maybe 8 hours a day, more in the winter and in the peak of summer and less in the shoulder seasons, always has a spare new generator to swap in when needed.
Not for me when I retire but the guy seems happy and keeps himself busy keeping the lights and heat or AC on.

Back