Yokohama Tornante

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else have any experience with these? I've had them for a few months and 3,000 miles on a Chevy Cruze. So far I'm happy with them, but they haven't been tested in snow, just plowed roads. In my area (St. Louis) they are available at AutoTire locations.

Last edited:
The specs for the tire look very good. Tread design looks decent for snow as far as an all-season tire.

https://simpletire.com/yokohama-195...1wMed4AIVhDxpCh3gIwjXEAQYAyABEgLvg_D_BwE

_2.jpg

i bought a single used one for my accord 2 years ago after my wife nailed a pothole and broke a tire.
drove on it for about a year until i bought 4 news ones.

no issues.

A little pricey!
YOKOHAMA TORNANTE
195/65R-15

Part Number: 32403 Service Description: 91 H UTQG: 740AA Sidewall: BW Load Range: SL Treadlife Warranty: 75000 miles Type: Passenger All Season
View Full Specs & Details
FREE SHIPPING
RISK-FREE GUARANTEE
Today's Price
$1417.92
$5,671.68 Set of 4
Payments as low as $499/m

Originally Posted by wymi516
$5,671.68 Set of 4

Sticker shock!
smile.gif

THE TORNANTE IS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT THE FOLLOWING TIRE DEALERSHIPS.
CLICK ON THE DEALER LINKS TO FIND A LOCATION NEAR YOU.

Autotire
Cheshire Tire
Curry's Auto
Ken Towery
Monro Muffler/Brake
Mr Tire
The Tire Choice
Tire Barn
Tire Factory
Tire Warehous

Originally Posted by wymi516
A little pricey!
$1417.92
$5,671.68 Set of 4

Yeah but you missed the FREE SHIPPING!
confused2.gif

IIRC, they started off as the Yokohama Avid TRZ, and were available just about everywhere. Then were discontinued as such and became the Tornante which are available now at limited stores. I have seen this before where a tire gets discontinued as a mainstream tire, and becomes a private label model.

Perhaps look for reviews on the Avid TRZ to get an idea of how the Tornante will perform.

Originally Posted by Voleak
IIRC, they started off as the Yokohama Avid TRZ, and were available just about everywhere. Then were discontinued as such and became the Tornante which are available now at limited stores. I have seen this before where a tire gets discontinued as a mainstream tire, and becomes a private label model.

Perhaps look for reviews on the Avid TRZ to get an idea of how the Tornante will perform.

WOW that is an old tire! The TRZ was the predecessor to the Avid Ascend, which was recently replaced by the Avid Ascned GT
crazy2.gif

Thanks for all the replies, I obviously had no idea about the TRZ. It looks like the same tire as the Tornante, well maybe without the orange oil :)

Some companies specialize in this sort of thing. Hercules, for example. One of the best kept secrets up north is that the Hercules Avalanche RG2 is not just similar to a Nokian Hakka R, it IS a Nokian Hakka R, made using the same molds in the same factory. It's just the older model after Nokian moved on to the R2. Hercules bought the molds for cheap and continued production.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Voleak said:
...One of the best kept secrets up north is that the Hercules Avalanche RG2 is not just similar to a Nokian Hakka R, it IS a Nokian Hakka R, made using the same molds in the same factory. It's just the older model after Nokian moved on to the R2. Hercules bought the molds for cheap and continued production.
Maybe the two tires are different. Some talk is that Douglas tires are made on the same equipment as Goodyear tires. Now for my story:
I splurged & bought some Goodyear Assurance tires(my first time) & I love them for their tidy handling & what looks like they'll get 60,000+ miles. Altho I got an excellent rebate(quickly returned, too), they still cost $650. I was so blown away by the final cost(hidden in the beginning), I started buying used tires. I have some used Douglas tires now. But, touching & comparing them to the Goodyears, you can tell they are different. Reviews of Douglas tires are generally completely different than reviews for Goodyear tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Some companies specialize in this sort of thing. Hercules, for example. One of the best kept secrets up north is that the Hercules Avalanche RG2 is not just similar to a Nokian Hakka R, it IS a Nokian Hakka R, made using the same molds in the same factory. It's just the older model after Nokian moved on to the R2. Hercules bought the molds for cheap and continued production.

The mold alone does not make the tire.
What about the rubber compound?

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by krzyss
The mold alone does not make the tire. What about the rubber compound?.......KrzyÅ›
You're right. As stated in my above post:
..... Douglas tires are made on the same equipment as Goodyear tires.......touching & comparing them to the Goodyears, you can tell they are different.

After having them nearly four months, I'm pleased with the Tornante's.
I want to specifically mention how good they are in the rain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrTire
Maybe you can see here for a review

yokohama tornante

Cool review, and I agree with it.
Great when it comes to dry, wet, and breaking. Snow was a challenge, but last winter was bad for this area.
When I was buying the tires the shop recommended the Good Year Assurance, but the Tornante's had much more tread depth I decided to try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back