Range Rover quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Range Rover as good as their recent commercials?

14000 ft summit ...
500 uncharted miles in 121°F desert ...
Up 45° incline , 999 stairs ...

Looks very impressive and very good marketing. One of the best car commercials imho.
Wonder if the trans fluid or engine oil is boiling by the time it makes the 45° incline / 1000 stairs! lol

Does anyone here own one? They look very nice compare to other SUVs!

So I have had 3 recent ones since 2010; 2 Range Rover Sports and my current one is a '17 Range Rover HSE TDV6, which is my favorite DD to date. I have ~230K miles between them so far. They are much better than their common reputation but are not and probably cannot be as reliable as a Lexus or Acura. Based on mine and a few friends' ownership of them and other comparable SUV's, current LR are at least average for overall reliability, probably above the domestics, maybe even with BMW. Now I am not talking material quality, fit and finish, etc., just day to day issues leading to warranty visits, irritation, etc. All cars are at least good now...

Fit and finish and material quality on the current ones are excellent. Great driving experience and they are very capable. My current RR is one of the better tow vehicles I've driven.

Earlier ones, as in up until the mid-late 2000's have a very well deserved reputation for pain. The ones imported early on when LR returned to the US market were OK Defenders weren't bad, but reliability trended downward as complexity increased. Many friends had them early on, but I didn't want to deal with one as a DD until I finally took a chance with the 2010 Sport.

So far I have not had any major issues, but have had a few niggling ones. The Sports needed a water pump at ~20K, battery at about the same time and the heated steering wheel was inop at delivery and replaced soon thereafter. My current HSE has had its suspension air compressor replaced at 30K miles and that has been it so far. Now as good as they are now, I am not brave enough to keep them over ~100K...yet.

Prior to these we had several Jeep Grand Cherokees and a SAAB 97x (US built Trailblazer in disguise). They were all decent but interior quality was poor and they did require numerous warranty work visits; peeling coatings on the GM interior, cracking vinyl seat sides in the Jeep at ~20K miles (full 'leather faced...'), and the Jeep had a potentially fatal flaw in that the xfer case would sometimes pull itself into neutral after shutoff among other drivetrain problems. The last Jeep sold me on Rovers...

Any specific questions?

I don't get too many in my shop. The few I do see are older. The owners never want to spend money on proper repairs. I don't know if its because they are tired of throwing money at them or if they are just cheap. OE parts can be very expensive.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The owners never want to spend money on proper repairs.

Because older ones are a cheap way into a "luxury" vehicle and are bought by folks who 1) didn't do research and 2) have no logical reason to own one.... Like 996's were up until very recently..

I actually heard a Rep at the dealer I use talk this young guy out of a used RR for this reason. I have a lot of respect for that behavior, rare as it is.

Range Rovers are extremely popular in my town...they're a good way to show off wealth and also have lots of room for kids and stuff.
Now, this is completely anecdotal and totally susceptible to failures in my memory...but I come to recognize a lot of cars from my area from seeing them over and over during my commutes. Oh, there's the guy with the Audi sedan who tries to blow off every stop sign even when others are already waiting there...that's the lady in the Lexus SUV who signals half a mile before turning and comes to nearly a complete stop around the corner...there's the yellow Hummer, nuf ced.
Now that I think about it, I've never gotten used to seeing a particular Range Rover, even though I see plenty of them.
Take it with a grain of salt, but this really struck me as odd just now...

IMO that fact that the Toyota Land Cruiser replaced the Land Rover in Africa/Asia as a bush vehicle is telling. Parts are expensive because the brand is a low volume seller in the US (no demand to develop aftermarket parts).

Tata (owner of Land Rover) took a huge earnings hit because of the poor performance of Land Rover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer

14000 ft summit ...

Looks very impressive and very good marketing. One of the best car commercials imho.
Wonder if the trans fluid or engine oil is boiling by the time it makes the 45° incline / 1000 stairs! lol

Don't confuse rugged with reliable.

I've got some diagnostic time on an early 2000s model a friend bought. I absolutely loved the way it drove - generous suspension travel and the wide wheelbase made for a fun ride if you actually want to do something with it off road; it was a little clumsy on the freeway, which is totally understandable. His had about 150,000 miles on it and it's the only rebuild I've ever seen him give up on, and he usually buys 2-3 vehicles a year and sells them. Most of his/our work has been body, electrical and anything engine - from heads to full swaps to by-hand rebuilds. The Range Rover drove him nuts and I took a look and neither one of us could work out all of the kinks.

This one was very complicated with bells and whistles to include hydraulic suspension stabilization - all four corners were blown, the pump was blown, and it had let go spectacularly. The engine was the buick-derived aluminum V6, and if you haven't read the history of these, it's very telling - buick couldn't build it, they sold the to 'Rover, and they eventually figured out how to make it work... it's a crazy history. Anyway, suffice it to say the way they squeezed it in there was crazy - not meant to be maintained, nothing could be done without pulling off the front of the truck.

Apparently AWD systems in these are not very robust, or they end otherwise seem to end up with AWD problems later in life which ends up with, "remove the front drive shaft." I suspect it's because the T-cases are too expensive to R&R. He actually replaced the T-Case and then spend months tracking down absolutely astounding drivetrain vibrations the likes I've never seen. The rear e-brake is a central rotor/caliper setup on the driveshaft. Cool and powerful, but I suspect may have been the cause because it was the only thing large enough in my mind to exhibit window-cracking vibes.... except that it would go away when the front shaft was removed. We could never figure it out, nor could the local driveshaft shop which also looked at it.

There are very few vehicles that truly hit me as a "don't ever buy used." Certainly as a 3x volvo owner, I'll say wholeheartedly that european vehicles are much easier to live with if you maintain them as they need it. But these - and the way our culture buys them and doesn't maintain them, do not get my vote for a reliable purchase unless you love the vehicle and buy it new or nearly new and are absolutely willing to maintain a complex vehicle.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by OilUzer

14000 ft summit ...

Don't confuse rugged with reliable.

This. I can't speak from experience but what I understand of the brand is that they're extremely capable vehicles and perform very well, however, they're often plagued by a barrage of small problem after small problem that adds up to one big headache. With that being said, ALL, vehicles today are built to standards significantly higher than their 20 year old counter parts. My money is that today's Range Rover is much more reliable than yesterday's.

I have never owned a British vehicle .

Nothing scientific , but I have always gotten the impression they ( and German vehicles ) can easily turn into money pits ?

Maybe not , if you are talking about a Rolls or a Bentley , but I have neither the money or the desire to drive one of those .

Best of luck , :)

If you care about quality and want a comparable SUV in terms of capability the Toyota Land Cruiser is the defect world standard especially 3rd world countries.

Originally Posted by madRiver
If you care about quality and want a comparable SUV in terms of capability the Toyota Land Cruiser is the defect world standard especially 3rd world countries.

The new Nissan Armada (which is based on the international model called the Patrol) appears to have similar heritage -- a proven global platform.

I heard that the older versions are very capable off-road vehicles. While I suppose they had a lot of things to break, they were fairly simple fixes and someone who took one on an off-road expedition needed to have someone knowledgeable enough to perform simple repairs.

Today I suppose we're used to good daily reliability. When something does break it may require an electronic diagnostic or some large part because it's not really just one small part that can be replaced.

Some sharp looking Land Rovers doing what they do best.

Land Rovers On Rack.jpg

Originally Posted by billt460

They do look nice all lined up at the dealer like that :)

Seriously, mine have actually been great, better than I expected.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Probably helps that you are the kind of person who cares enough about car maintenance to join an online motor oil forum!
;^)

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Probably helps that you are the kind of person who cares enough about car maintenance to join an online motor oil forum!
;^)

I do have an addiction to oddball and needy machines...the maintenance just enables the addiction:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back