Would this car brochure omission bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by daddi
So after five years of driving our 2014 Fusion energi (which was a good car), my wife and I decided to look at some mid size SUV's

After looking at several different makes and models we decided on a 2019 Nissan Murano SV. After walking the car lots on Sundays, and me studying the brochure intensely, we decided on the color and trim level best for our needs.

Since we travel often HD radio is a must. I have had it on several cars and enjoy the increased fidelity if offers. Fortunately ALL trims on the Murano offer it. So imagine my disappointment when after a few days of buying the car and having some time to set up my settings/radio stations etc, it has NO HD radio. A trip to the dealer confirmed that as well.

Since it says it has it in the brochure, I figured it DID have it, and didn't notice it didn't have it until several days after I bought it. I sent a email to Nissan corporate this morning, no reply yet.

Would this bother any of you?? And do I have any recourse in this matter?

I'm sure you know that HD FM radio sound quality is the same as regular FM. It's Hybrid Digital to give you digital messages, not High Definition sound.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I sent a email to Nissan corporate this morning, no reply yet.

Pick up a phone and call. What's with this passive society of hiding behind a keyboard and emailing a company about a complaint or issue ?

Not much you can do if they lie to you over the phone...

I've personally had people tell me things would be taken care of over the phone, only to continue to be screwed over. I once called customer service three times, received positive results each time, and then subsequently received three respective follow-up emails stating that I was SOL.

I think you need to get with the times!

Caveat emptor. I'd be angry at myself for buying a brand new car and not ensuring it had the options I considered mandatory before I bought it.

"Hey Nissan, I was lazy and didn't check for HD radio before I bought a car from you. I would like a HD radio head unit for free, please."

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Caveat emptor. I'd be angry at myself for buying a brand new car and not ensuring it had the options I considered mandatory before I bought it.

"Hey Nissan, I was lazy and didn't check for HD radio before I bought a car from you. I would like a HD radio head unit for free, please."

In OP's defense, the brochure clearly states all Murano models have HD radio. The brochure lists hundreds of features. It is not reasonable for the customer to physically verify the existence of every single one of them before buying the car.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I'm sure you know that HD FM radio sound quality is the same as regular FM. It's Hybrid Digital to give you digital messages, not High Definition sound.

Not entirely true.

HD radio can provide better sound quality and no FM noise, but whether it does offer better quality or not is at the discretion of your local broadcasting station. Some stations attempt to cram more channels of programming into the same spectrum, therefore reducing the available bandwidth for each channel/subchannel, which obviously has sound quality implications.

I'd be annoyed as well, but I don't find HD radio to be a good option when traveling. The signal doesn't travel as far as analog, so unless you're near the towers it'll start dropping in and out annoyingly.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I'd be annoyed as well, but I don't find HD radio to be a good option when traveling. The signal doesn't travel as far as analog, so unless you're near the towers it'll start dropping in and out annoyingly.

Agreed.

Fire up TuneIn radio on your phone and send it via BT to your car's audio system. It doesnt eat up that much bandwidth.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

In OP's defense, the brochure clearly states all Murano models have HD radio. The brochure lists hundreds of features. It is not reasonable for the customer to physically verify the existence of every single one of them before buying the car.
I agree but OP put a significant amount of time into researching the purchase and still made a tremendous blunder. We're not talking about putting it on a lift to measure sway bar diameter, all OP had to do was get in a car on the lot and try to access HD radio on the exact model he intended to purchase. If you deemed a option necessary, would you not test it's functionality before buying the vehicle?

2019: moral outrage > personal responsibility. It's not just millennials, victim points are a currency universal to all ages.

If you deemed a option necessary, would you not test it's functionality before buying the vehicle?
Yes and no. If it was clearly stated in the official brochure, why would one doubt it?

If you deemed a option necessary, would you not test it's functionality before buying the vehicle?
Yes and no. If it was clearly stated in the official brochure, why would one doubt it?
Because the website clearly states that it is not standard on base trims? It's not 1980 anymore, the brochure could be outdated before it even hits the dealership floor. Guaranteed there was a "information subject to change" in the fine print of the brochure. Would you not want the most recent information before you drop 15K+ on a brand new car? Spending all that time on the lot and not taking the 30 secs to look at the website or checking the radio to see if it has HD? You can argue the brochure but not checking for functionality, that is just a bonehead move when the stakes are pretty high.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I sent a email to Nissan corporate this morning, no reply yet.

Pick up a phone and call. What's with this passive society of hiding behind a keyboard and emailing a company about a complaint or issue ?

Probably because it does no good trying to communicate with someone in India.

Because the website clearly states that it is not standard on base trims? It's not 1980 anymore,

OMG. Not everyone does everything on the computer these days. Many older folks prefer printed media instead of internet pages. Do you also treat with disregard all people who prefer to rent books from the library instead of reading them on a Kindle or iPad?

Yes, the OP may have goofed by not verifying the presence of HD radio, but I still think Nissan should take part of the blame for producing misleading literature.

As others have said, If the brochure is not correct I would have Nissan make it right for you. No questions asked.

Would this bother any of you?? And do I have any recourse in this matter?

To answer your question, it would bother me. The dealer should make that right, one way or another. I don't buy japanese cars, but the dealerships that I deal with would have made a big deal out of this to the point of offering to take the car back. I'd say that dealer sucks and doesn't deserve your business ever again if they don't make it right. I don't think any type or recourse you may have would be worth your time and money to pursue. Being able to trust your dealer (the ones that sell American cars
smile.gif
) is a big deal.

Tell the stealership and Nissan you're going on a social media campaign blasting them if they don't fix it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back