Just Got My Alternator Replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my alternator replaced on my GX. Got a new belt, too. Just went out in the garage to check out the work and see if everything looked right. I pressed on the belt and it moved the tension pulley. Is that normal? That I can
take my thumb and apply enough pressure on the alternator belt to move the tension pulley.

Yes that can be normal, depends on how much you push and where relative to the tensioner, but you want to make sure it is providing enough tension, and replace it if not.

You might look on your receipt for the belt part # and/or ask the shop if they put the standard sized belt on or did it quick and dirty by using a shorter belt to make up for a weakening tensioner. At the beginning of tensioner wear that can work but then you may want a new belt again when the tensioner gets too weak. Normally it should go further than 65K mi before you need a new tensioner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Yes that can be normal, depends on how much you push and where relative to the tensioner, but you want to make sure it is providing enough tension, and replace it if not.

You might look on your receipt for the belt part # and/or ask the shop if they put the standard sized belt on or did it quick and dirty by using a shorter belt to make up for a weakening tensioner. At the beginning of tensioner wear that can work but then you may want a new belt again when the tensioner gets too weak. Normally it should go further than 65K mi before you need a new tensioner.

Tell that to my dad. 300K KM (180K miles) on his Caravan with the original tensioner... It has a long belt that depends on the tensioner as well. His opinion... It's not slipping and it's not making noise, leave it alone.

Last edited:
Do you have a 470 or 460? Should be similar in that the alternator runs off the accessory belt and tensioner. The tensioner uses a 1/2 inch drive to unload and not a hugely common failure but at some point should be replaced. Makes the most sense to do this with the timing belt.

How much force are you using?

There are markings on the tensioner, for a used belt between "A" and new belt between "B". If the new belt is not withing the "B" marking it is either too long or too short. It is normal that it moves when you apply tension to the belt by pushing on the belt.

2009-lexus-gx470-service-repair-manual-1-1024.jpg

2009-lexus-gx470-service-repair-manual-11-1025.jpg

Thank you so much for the picture! I'll check it out when I get home. Thank you

Originally Posted by Dave9

Got the belt for $70 from Lexus Dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back