Bigger filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT3

I just picked up an F53 based class A and it had a tiny (Penz PZ 173) oil filter on it. I was on the road between Grand Rapids and Northern Ca (doing an oil change in the Napa parking lot in Sidney Ne), it was late afternoon, around 8 above zero, and I didn't feel like experimenting, so I put on a Napa 7045 which crossed with the PZ173, although they of course showed the correct filter to be the 1372. When I got home I put on a Napa gold 1372 and I feel better about it. But my question is, is there an even bigger (higher volume) filter that you can run on the 3v 6.8? Since I run these things fairly hard, it seems like a 7 qt capacity would be about 15% better than 6. The Difference may be irrelevant but Id still like to know if there is a bigger filter thats meets the spec. Ive never thought the 1372 was big enough for the 6.8, even though my interval is 3000 miles.

As an aside the crew at the Sidney Napa is great - very helpful and pleasant to work with!

Mod motors are such easy going engines, I can't imagine that a larger filter would make a difference that could be measured by science.

Run what you have, and stay on top of oil changes. Other than that, not much to do for a 6.8 V10. Super boring ownership experience.

Boring is good in these cases. I have another one (2 valve E450) doing fine at 120,000. With my 3000 mile intervals, Ive changed oil in Nevada, Texas, Wyoming, Ney York, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and probably others. So that makes it kind of interesting.

Basically the only option you have to use a larger filter is THIS KIT, which turns it into a remote mount filter. Ford Modular engine's use 22x1.5 thread, but the filter mount itself in this kit allows you to use a 3/4"x16 thread filter, like an FL1-A. The larger version of the FL1-A is the FL-299, which you can get as a Napa Gold 1773. I use the FL-299/Napa Gold 1773 on my ‘69 Torino with a 390. It's good for almost a half quart more than an FL1-A, and likely a full quart more than an FL-820S. Good luck.

remote filters are great, more filtering + easier access. many report included hoses are ok but AN fittings + braided hoses are better. hot rod shops can make what you need as well as some on line mail order places

An oil cooler can only help. If you're that concerned about oil temperature, I would also add an oil temp and maybe more importantly, a transmission temperature gauge.

Originally Posted by RT3
I just picked up an F53 based class A and it had a tiny (Penz PZ 173) oil filter on it. I was on the road between Grand Rapids and Northern Ca (doing an oil change in the Napa parking lot in Sidney Ne), it was late afternoon, around 8 above zero, and I didn't feel like experimenting, so I put on a Napa 7045 which crossed with the PZ173, although they of course showed the correct filter to be the 1372. When I got home I put on a Napa gold 1372 and I feel better about it. But my question is, is there an even bigger (higher volume) filter that you can run on the 3v 6.8? Since I run these things fairly hard, it seems like a 7 qt capacity would be about 15% better than 6. The Difference may be irrelevant but Id still like to know if there is a bigger filter thats meets the spec. Ive never thought the 1372 was big enough for the 6.8, even though my interval is 3000 miles.

As an aside the crew at the Sidney Napa is great - very helpful and pleasant to work with!

Funny I was just dealing with this same exact thing at my Napa. I was running a Napa Gold 1085 (typical Chrysler) and found that the 1515 is the exact filter but is a larger case (at least 1/2 quart bigger). But I use a bunch of different filters and one of them is a 1372. My napa guys said they don't have a way to look up a filter that corresponds to what you're using but is just a larger case size, without going through filter by filter comparing the thread and gasket and case size. One suggestion they made was looking up what K&N filter your truck uses and many times on their website, they list other filters that would work, but is a larger size. I haven't tried that yet but is sounded reasonable to me.

Where is the filter located on this engine? In the front or in the back? My 5.4 has a remote mount filter on it. I'm sure finding something longer wouldn't be too hard.

Originally Posted by RT3

welcome2.gif
to the site!

I realize that "bigger always be better" in many folks minds. But in this case, as many others, there's no proof that a larger filter really accomplishes, well, anything. You're not going to see a wear rate reduction with a larger filter. You're not going to see a temp shift with a larger filter (mainly because it's the t-stat that controls the coolant and therefore engine temps).

There is risk, however remote, in using a non-standard filter, as you risk warranty delay or outright denial. And for what? No better filtering or cooling? If you were to massively extend your OCIs, where capacity was a real issue, then it might pay off. Might ... I recommend against this type endeavor. When someone can PROVE (not guess, but actually show real hard data) that a slightly larger filter will magically make the reward outweigh the risk, then I'll pay attention. Hasn't happened in all the time I've been here.

O/FCIs every 5k miles is plenty for your rig. You're wasting oil and filter at 3k miles.

Last edited:
The 6.8 liter V-10 is used all the way up to the F750 - - I had no idea they put them in trucks that large.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

O/FCIs every 5k miles is plenty for your rig. You're wasting oil and filter at 3k miles.

I dunno.... F53 based class A based motorhomes are aerodynamic as a brick, and pretty heavy.

I'd follow the "severe service" schedule, for sure.

At least on the oil - filters almost always get changed too often/too soon.

My F53 is 19,865 lbs m/t and I run 6k to 7k on the oil and filter. I live out west and no matter which way I go I hit mountains, ran two uoa's and both said the oil was still serviceable at 7k miles. I just change it out because it gets beat on so hard and it makes me feel better. LOL I use M1 5/30 and have never had to add oil in my '08 V10 in the 69k miles we have put on it.

I had a thread adapter made for my S2000(Honda) to change the outer threads from M20x1.5 to 1-16 so I could run a Donaldson P502503 oil filter. It's well over twice as large as the stock filter and it filters better than the rock catacher that the Honda filter is, all the while flowing more oil(less PSID) than the stock filter.

This is what a thread adapter looks like, you just have to get it made with the threads you want. Any machine shop should be able to make you one.
http://rjcracing.com/product/oil-filter-adapter/

Rod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back