Honda getting serious about my airbag recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came home today to a big yellow door hang tag on the front door of my building informing me of my dangerous airbags. This thing had my name, model, year, a case number and some guys phone number written in pen. It also had "free at home repair" written in pen on the side.

They send stuff in the mail all the time, but I've put this off because I don't want someone messing up my car.

Should I get this done? Should I call the guy written on the tag, or just make an appointment with a dealer? If they would come and change it at my place it would definitely be easier.

What's next? Will they just find it on the street and break in and fix it?

If you're afraid of someone messing up your car, just wait until you get into an accident and the Takata airbag goes off and severs your jugular. That'll make a real good mess.

Yeah, to amplify the last post, I'd be more afraid of my airbag mimicking a Claymore mine than a trained tech messing up my car. It's not as if they're tearing up the whole trans to replace one slip ring.

Yeah, this has the logic of the antivaxers. You'd rather risk getting killed than having someone potentially mess up your car.

You may need to reevaluate your life choices if that's what you're thinking.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
They send stuff in the mail all the time, but I've put this off because I don't want someone messing up my car.

Should I get this done?

FFS. You think you've seen it all, and then you continue to get amazed.

Really? REALLY? When that grenade goes off, and blows your eyeballs out, you wont really care whether your car is "messed up" or not. In fact, since you lack eyeballs, you wont have a need for a car anymore.

Get the darn air bags replaced.

Those exploding airbags have KILLED like 20 people already, and hurt hundreds more. People that would have survived the crash, were it not for an exploding airbag that sent metal into their neck, severing arteries.

No one is questioning this whole yellow-tag-on-his-door-offering-at-home-airbag-repair ????

Holy **** ! Just Googled this and it appears to be legitimate after all !
confused.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
No one is questioning this whole yellow-tag-on-his-door-offering-at-home-airbag-repair ????

Holy **** ! Just Googled this and it appears to be legitimate after all !
confused.gif

I know, right!? If I was home was this guy going to force me to fix my car? Beg me?

All these people telling me to get the airbag fixed sound just like my Uber passengers...

I'm KIDDING! You have to have a valid drivers license to be an Uber driver.

Had the recall done on my Pilot. It's really not that big an undertaking to have it replaced, it took the dealer about 45 minutes. No charge, free coffee, and they even washed it for me. Just make an appointment.

Take the offer from Honda to remove that Claymore mine. Better a few scuffs, bruises and ringing ears from a properly working airbag controlling your body motions in a crash than be taken away in a body bag by the coroner and a cop/firefighter developing PTSD.

Been putting it off on my wife's 2002 Civic, which had both airbags recalled. The NHTSA makes it sound really dire.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/takata-recall-spotlight

The Danger of "Alpha" Air Bags: Certain 2001-2003 Honda and Acura vehicles, 2006 Ford Ranger, and Mazda B-Series trucks are at a far higher risk for an air bag explosion that could injure or kill vehicle occupants. These are referred to as "Alpha" air bags. These vehicles can and should be repaired immediately. Do not drive these vehicles with Takata air bags unless you are going straight to a dealer to have them repaired immediately.

Still haven't done it for my 2004 WRX. I got a mailed notice about the recall a couple of years ago, but it said don't let anyone sit on the front passenger seat. That notice said that parts weren't in stock but I'd be notified when they were. I didn't see the follow up but it could be my wife dumped it.

Well call me crazy, I don't care, but I understand where you are coming from. The dealer has damaged my car multiple times, and I would fully expect them to damage it during an airbag replacement. Good luck getting them to fix the damages!

Last time I was in the dealer they all but forced me to have it done, sorry bud, not happening today.

It would be different if I had passengers riding around with me.

The dealer did my 05 Honda Pilot, steering and passenger side. They failed to mess anything up.

Air bags inflate with explosive force. The presence of hard material, one of the reasons for the recall, makes for projectiles. People have died.

http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-airbag-inflator-recall-fact-sheet/

"Defective airbags can KILL or seriously injure you or your passengers."

"Honda has confirmed 13 deaths and more than 180 injuries in the U.S. related to ruptures of driver's front airbag inflators supplied by Takata."

Get it done!. It's less than an hour at the Honda dealer and your airbag will actually work as a safety device rather than a bringer of death. If you had an issue with your Honda dealer, go to a different Honda dealer. Or take this guy up on the at home repair. If he does it at your house you can watch him the whole time.

There's a reason Honda is bankrolling home visits- they aren't fond of people dying in their cars.

Had the airbags done on my '07 Accord, took less than an hour. It was a relief to finally get it done, had to wait a long time for the parts to be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back