Anyone purchased Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Just curious what it cost you. I know my dealer parts counter price is $20/quart.

I just picked up a case off eBay for $147 all in. $12.25/qt is marginally less painful. $10-12/qt is about what I've been paying by mail order since 2017 for this magical blue juice.

I've done 3 drain/fills so far on our 2016 Nissan Quest CVT since we bought it with ~30K miles on it. It's got ~75K now. If anything, that sucker shouldn't grenade due to lack of CVT fluid changes.

If I keep the van beyond ~110K miles (ext. warranty expires), it will get "suitable for use" CVT fluid for sure. If I could find a cheaper "suitable" blue fluid, that's what I would be using now.

Sorry, no real help with NS3, but NS2. I found a MDSD online for the Nissan NS-2 fluid and it showed that it's made by SOPUS. So I sourced my 6 litres of Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 from my local industrial oil distributor, far less cost than going to Nissan Dealer or even buying Nissan brand bottles.

I don't see that Pennzoil is offering a NS3 equivalent as of today, but it's too soon for many people to need it in large amounts, so it might be very hard to find outside of the Nissan dealers.

I too can only comment on NS-2. I went with the Castrol version, which was $5 to $6 per quart.

I imagine the CVT fluid doesn't need the frequency of changes that 4 or 5-speed transmissions need. There is very little material shed from clutches and gears. I changed at 80K (Nissan Murano bought used). The fluid and magnet looked pretty good.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I imagine the CVT fluid doesn't need the frequency of changes that 4 or 5-speed transmissions need. There is very little material shed from clutches and gears. I changed at 80K (Nissan Murano bought used). The fluid and magnet looked pretty good.

That's what I would have thought as well, but when I did the first drain/fill right after buying the van, the fluid that drained out was nearly as dark as used motor oil. I have a thread on that with pics floating around BITOG from back when I did it. I did a 4qt drain/fill, used the van for a few days and did another. That cleaned it up to nearly looking like new fluid. Then I did another about a year later. This case I just bought should carry me through the next few years.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Sorry, no real help with NS3, but NS2. I found a MDSD online for the Nissan NS-2 fluid and it showed that it's made by SOPUS. So I sourced my 6 litres of Pennzoil Platinum CVT-2 from my local industrial oil distributor, far less cost than going to Nissan Dealer or even buying Nissan brand bottles.

I don't see that Pennzoil is offering a NS3 equivalent as of today, but it's too soon for many people to need it in large amounts, so it might be very hard to find outside of the Nissan dealers.

Yeah, I go to the local shell distributor to find Shell ATF 134 and 134 FE, it's way cheaper, around $5 a quart than the dealers which charge around $20 a quart.

https://www.shell.us/business-customers/lubricants-for-business/lubricants-distributor-locator.html

Keep checking and maybe they'll carry it in a few years.

The Amsoil CVT fluid has been upgraded to cover Nissan's NS-3 CVT spec. and about half the price of OEM fluid.

Pablo here is our Amsoil sponsor.

Originally Posted by JTK
….If I keep the van beyond ~110K miles (ext. warranty expires), it will get "suitable for use" CVT fluid for sure. If I could find a cheaper "suitable" blue fluid, that's what I would be using now.
And imo that will be a wise and good move. Also imo, NS3 blue is ridiculously expensive. I'll eventually have to bite the bullet on NS3 for family extended stable Rogue.

I know that Castrol Transmax CVT has a 'suitable for' NS3 spec on bottle, 6 pack currently ~$35 on Amazon. Valvoline also CVT fluid with their 'recommended for NS3 spec'. The name it as a Full Synthetic CVT fluid. Linked Valvoline CVT spec sheet.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/89a30b24-93bb-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

I have used Valvoline Synthetic CVT fluid in a 2016 Altima with great results. Now I have a stash of the Castrol blend which I will use next time.

Originally Posted by Pablo
Originally Posted by MolaKule
The Amsoil CVT fluid has been upgraded to cover Nissan's NS-3 CVT spec. and about half the price of OEM fluid.

Pablo here is our Amsoil sponsor.

Thanks Mola!

Link here: Amsoil CVT

And Amsoil studied the Nissan CVT's heavily when creating the fluid so it's the perfect application for it if you decide to go that route.

I was trying to get my aunt to use it in her Juke before the CVT let go at 90,000km.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Good info and ideas here. Thanks!

I know we've chatted about this before on BITOG, but I would absolutely go with a suitable aftermarket alternative provided they were the same color as Nissan NS-3 while I'm under warranty. Out of warranty? Don'r care then. I may use the Red colored Castrol Transmax CVT fluid then if it's the best bang for the buck.

Terry has a Nissan among a few other vehicles in his test fleet he has been testing various oils and ATF's on and he said the Nissan NS-3 is quite a bit better, if you can find it at good price just stick with that for the warranty. I keep in touch with him outside of here along with a few other members of BITOG that use his service.

Last edited:
Ive been running the Amsoil cvt fluid in our 11 Quest and been very happy with it. Our Quest was speced for the older NS2 green fluid.
The Amsoil fluid is amber colored though.
The NS2 seemed to come out a bit dark at 30k runs. Have about 20k on the Amsoil and still looks like new on the dipstick.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Terry has a Nissan among a few other vehicles in his test fleet he has been testing various oils and ATF's on and he said the Nissan NS-3 is quite a bit better, if you can find it at good price just stick with that for the warranty. I keep in touch with him outside of here along with a few other members of BITOG that use his service.

Quite a bit better than what?

The person you mentioned, if he is who I think he is, is not a formulator and has no chemistry background.

Nissan NS-3 is adequate, but nothing to write Mom home about.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back