CrossWind tires. Will they kill me dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will need to get new tires soon for my wife's Pacifica. Came across these CrossWind tires from Wal Mart for $65 apiece. They appear to be Chinese-made under the TBC umbrella. The price is certainly right and the reviews look to be good.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosswind-HP010-235-65R17-104H-Tire/424981450

The car only gets driven about 5000 miles a year, so I have a hard time spending a lot on tires that will split or dry rot before all their tread is used up. 90% of the vehicle's miles are low speed, in-town. The car does still get used for a few 80 mph. interstate trips.

If they're safe, I'd probably be inclined to buy them.

CrossWind? Is that because they cause your car to pull to one side?
lol.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it...

Did you read the reviews? Longer stopping distances, out of balance, bad grip etc. Some of those reviews are old though and they just started up operations in the US a few years ago so maybe they improved. But I'd rather get a used set of tires than some no name tires.

If they didn't offer that size in Douglas, I'd give the Crosswinds a shot.

The thing you have to accept with the no-name import tires is, they cost about half of a brand name and will likely last about half as long. That's what I've experienced anyway..

Some Chinese tires are better than others, however, I'd like to give another plug for

General Exclaim HPX

So far, these are my favorite Walmart only tires. Not a sporting tire--probably don't want that on a Pacifica-- but so far, seems to be fairly quiet, handles adequately, and wearing well. Like them better than the Goodyear-Kelly-Douglas Wally only tires I've tried.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Will need to get new tires soon for my wife's Pacifica. Came across these CrossWind tires from Wal Mart for $65 apiece. They appear to be Chinese-made under the TBC umbrella. The price is certainly right and the reviews look to be good.

The car only gets driven about 5000 miles a year, so I have a hard time spending a lot on tires that will split or dry rot before all their tread is used up. 90% of the vehicle's miles are low speed, in-town. The car does still get used for a few 80 mph. interstate trips.

For vehicle that is driven so little, get tires that keep initial performance longest, which is Michelin.
Tire is THE MOST important safety feature, yet, people love to cheap on them.

I had a family member buy a used vehicle that came with these on there, were just installed before purchase. They didnt last a year before one was down past the wear bars. Normal commuter driving, maybe one highway trip, probably not even 10k miles.

I would avoid unless you are going to sell and wanted new tires as a selling point. WalMart was doing a deal on a pair of Cooper Tires recently, and they will probably have their $75 rebate coming out soon if you can wait for it...

Just noticed the WalMart site has 132 reviews listed. See what the people are saying.

Originally Posted by edyvw

For vehicle that is driven so little, get tires that keep initial performance longest, which is Michelin.
Tire is THE MOST important safety feature, yet, people love to cheap on them.

In this scenario, buying a Michelin is the worst possible decision.... for multiple reasons.

Do not buy!!! My parents purchased tires from Walmart the last three times and every set had a blowout.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Do not buy!!! My parents purchased tires from Walmart the last three times and every set had a blowout.

Your parents purchased "tires" or the tires that this post is about???

Becuase Walmart sells lots of quality "tires" .

Any money you save on the tire will be negated by the accident caused by their poor traction. Cheaping out on tires is never a good idea. (Except when you are turning back your lease car) Just get a good performing tire with a shorter treadwear rating, which are usually cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back