Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would disagree with that. Having been on Keto for over a year, when I took a break for a couple of weeks and ate carbs (and terribly at that because it was the holidays) my blood sugar never rested (after processing a meal) than that of a normal non-diabetic person. Prior to this I needed medication to control my blood sugar.

IMO from the reading I have done and the videos I have watched Type-2 is labeled a "Forever" disease that will not get better and will eventually have you on Insulin and this might be the case if drastic steps aren't taken to correct the issue like fatty liver and through proper diet as I have done.

My spouse echos the same results and did it only for sugar control and cholesterol problem reversal. Weight loss wasn't needed. So it's about the diet type changing and not necessarily the weight loss contributing to Type-2 diabetics regaining control of their blood sugar through the weight loss itself. It's about using up your glycogen stores, leaning out the fat in the liver and retraining your body to make it insulin sensitive again.

There many other folks online that have had the same results and some out of the box thinking doctors are also noticing this. So we aren't an anomaly.

Stat's quoted from studies in the Dr. Paul Mason videos above....

Last edited:
If the standard way of eating continues, in about 10 years half the population here will have some type of diabetes,,its a big deal diabetes, you can lose feet and other body parts over this disease..

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
If the standard way of eating continues, in about 10 years half the population here will have some type of diabetes,,its a big deal diabetes, you can lose feet and other body parts over this disease..

I disagree bro, it is already a problem, most children/adults are pre-diabetic.

Fatty Liver Disease is an undiagnosed epidemic

https://apple.news/ACO1arYOTRGi7ANDeA2LrXA

It is mind boggling this public health crisis is being silienced.

Anyone who puts 39g of sugar in a can of soda lack conscious and has no regard for the health of our citizens.

I used to always get the gears from my doctor because he would see elevated liver numbers indicative of heavy drinking and I kept telling him I don't drink heavily because I don't and haven't since college. I was however quite over weight but it never occurred to him that I might have fatty liver because although I'm a big guy I carry it well.

Fast forward 5 years later and he tells me I'm type 2 diabetic.

Since then I have fixed my sugar problem through diet and lost a ton of weight and guess what. My liver no longer looks like I'm a heavy drinker and it didn't only 1 month after I started cutting out carbs/sugar.

Fatty liver is the silent pre-cursor to Type-2 diabetes, I'm convinced of it and new age doctors believe it as well.
Usually by the time it shows up in blood work it's really bad.

Last edited:
The onus has to be on the end consumer to choose to intake healthy things. This is the basis of free will. To be an informed consumer takes effort, of which many are not willing to expend.

The sentence should read:

Anyone who puts 39g of sugar that comes in a can of soda lacks consciousness and has no regard for their own health.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I used to always get the gears from my doctor because he would see elevated liver numbers indicative of heavy drinking and I kept telling him I don't drink heavily because I don't and haven't since college. I was however quite over weight but it never occurred to him that I might have fatty liver because although I'm a big guy I carry it well.

Fast forward 5 years later and he tells me I'm type 2 diabetic.

Since then I have fixed my sugar problem through diet and lost a ton of weight and guess what. My liver no longer looks like I'm a heavy drinker and it didn't only 1 month after I started cutting out carbs/sugar.

Fatty liver is the silent pre-cursor to Type-2 diabetes, I'm convinced of it and new age doctors believe it as well.
Usually by the time it shows up in blood work it's really bad.

This is a interesting point because my liver enzymes were always a little elevated. I don't drink either and after a few years my doctor said that those may be my normal numbers. I wonder if there is evidence of diabetics who had elevated numbers prior to being diagnosed?

In my case I was fine each year at my annual physical then suddenly I wasn't. It was like a switch had been thrown.

Dr. Paul Mason (Low carb down under video) has a great video on Diabetes where they will test someone that isn't supposedly diabetic with a glucose tolerance test and they will find their insulin response is greater than that of someone else. Those where it spikes the fastest usually develop type-2 diabetes not too long after. In all cases they will find elevated fat level in the liver.

There is another good video on that channel that talks about Glycogen, Glucagon and Insulin. That was really eye opening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
The onus has to be on the end consumer to choose to intake healthy things. This is the basis of free will. To be an informed consumer takes effort, of which many are not willing to expend.

The sentence should read:

Anyone who puts 39g of sugar that comes in a can of soda lacks consciousness and has no regard for their own health.

There also has to be a concerted effort to instill a physical exercise regimen in younger kids.

The usual observation is that kids don't go out to play anymore. They sit and play computer games. I think it goes further back. The advent of school bussing took away the kids walking to school. That was the inflection point imo.

Pimtac, I disagree and here is why. Although physical activity is a good thing, diet is the problem. The reason I say that is those that are not mobilized (in a wheel chair for example) will have weight struggles (like my cousin) and they have done everything possible to loose weight and find it challenging without fasting (which did work but only days of not eating)..

Until they drop the carbs/sugar from their diets and the weight starts to fall off. Now we know she isn't exercising past her arms here/there and other diets have failed until she eliminated the diet that causes her to store un-used energy intake and forced her to burn reserves.

Last edited:
Pimtac, I disagree and here is why. Although physical activity is a good thing, diet is the problem. The reason I say that is those that are not mobilized (in a wheel chair for example) will have weight struggles (like my cousin) and they have done everything possible to loose weight and find it challenging without fasting (which did work but only days of not eating)..

Until they drop the carbs/sugar from their diets and the weight starts to fall off. Now we know she isn't exercising past her arms here/there and other diets have failed until she eliminated the diet that causes her to store un-used energy intake and forced her to burn reserves.

Your point is well taken but I will stand with my thoughts as well. Diet is obviously the foremost focus for diabetics but the exercise aspect ties right in with that. One of the biggest problems with diabetes is the lack of energy. That is probably the biggest reason diabetics don't move around much. Building that discipline is important. Lack of exercise leads to high blood pressure which is one of the dominoes in diabetes. That leads to cardiovascular disease, kidney disease and circulatory disease.

One goes with the other.

I may be stating this as I am retired. If I was still working then who knows what the impact of the disease would have on me.

Good discussion. Thanks.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Your point is well taken but I will stand with my thoughts as well. Diet is obviously the foremost focus for diabetics but the exercise aspect ties right in with that. One of the biggest problems with diabetes is the lack of energy. That is probably the biggest reason diabetics don't move around much. Building that discipline is important. Lack of exercise leads to high blood pressure which is one of the dominoes in diabetes. That leads to cardiovascular disease, kidney disease and circulatory disease.

One goes with the other.

I agree 100% that they go hand in hand. Just walking is good exercise. I read yesterday that doing 40 pushups under a certain time limit lowers the chance of cardiovascular disease by 92%. I normally do 25 pushups a few times a week but just increased it to 40 of them yesterday. Twenty-five of them then a 20 second break followed by 15 more of them. Not too bad. I don't enjoy doing them but I do like how I feel afterwards. So it's worth it to me.

PimTac,

My cousin isn't diabetic and I am/was (however you want to classify it with the diet I'm on), and I moved more than she did. We both lost weight after struggling.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse, just trying to connect the dots on diet is the first answer and then exercise. It's no coincidence that the carbs and sugar in our diets has exploded since you were a kid. I'm sure of it.
Some intake of this is ok if you start out at ideal body weight and don't over consume but if you do it needs to be taken out of the diet until you return to normal and that's my point.

Although I think I will be somewhat lower carb forever. I feel so good on this it would be hard to change my mind.

Last edited:
As a kid there was never soda pop in the house. The only time we had anything like that was during holidays and when we were sick. The last one I don't know why.

We played hard and worked around the house. We were the typical meat and potatoes family. Everything cooked in bacon grease from Sunday breakfast. It was a very high fat diet yet we burned it off by walking six blocks to school each way. The last two blocks were on a hill. Rain, snow or shine, we walked. So did every other kid in the neighborhood.

Times do change. Our old neighborhood has no families now. All the families moved out to the burbs to keep their kids from the encroaching gang problems of the 80's and 90's. That's a typical city history these days. What I see now is parents who drive even one or two blocks to the bus stop to pick kids up and drive them back. Safety is the concern but at what price? We are seeing that now.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I agree 100% that they go hand in hand. Just walking is good exercise. I read yesterday that doing 40 pushups under a certain time limit lowers the chance of cardiovascular disease by 92%. I normally do 25 pushups a few times a week but just increased it to 40 of them yesterday. Twenty-five of them then a 20 second break followed by 15 more of them. Not too bad. I don't enjoy doing them but I do like how I feel afterwards. So it's worth it to me.

Try them Wim-hof style...thirty deep breaths, then hold your breath and pump them out (style obviously fails when you are doing that)...you can do LOTS of them in one breath...plus you have incentive to pump them out.

My morning routine is 4 rounds of breathing, one set of pushups, another two rounds of breathing (pulse drops to 55 in the last of those).
Afternoon, 40 minutes in the sauna, then a cold water only bath.

Originally Posted by Shannow
SatinSilver said:
..., then a cold water only bath.

Shannow,
When did you started this, and what improvements did you see?

(I did something similar about 15-17 years ago, washing with snow and cold water only baths/shower; no colds that year and better handling of cold; I do not have any data about blood pressure/works....)

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Shannow
SatinSilver said:
..., then a cold water only bath.

Shannow,
When did you started this, and what improvements did you see?

(I did something similar about 15-17 years ago, washing with snow and cold water only baths/shower; no colds that year and better handling of cold; I do not have any data about blood pressure/works....)

Wim Hof...On and off mid last year, then more intensely September through now. That included a few minutes of cold shower in the morning after my normal shower.
Sauna I got on November 2nd, and have worked up to 60 degrees C for 40 minutes. Have missed a week in total I think...the cold bath afterwards (7-10 minutes) is the last month.

Things I've noticed (and workmates have too)...anxiety is nearly nil...focus and coping with multiple priorities greatly improved. (look it up, the breathing pumps epinepherine by 250%, and increases red blood cell count in 20 minutes)...helps immunise you against stress.

Lost a belt buckle notch. Moobs are improved (Cold is supposed to help with brown adipose tissue formation). Like I said, in the breathing my pulse drops to well below 60 (only used to do that when I was competetively swimming in my teens)....up to 130 in the pressups or sauna, qiuite variable through the programme.

Best ever pushups was the week before Christmas break at 65 in a breath, hovering at 50 (45-55) currently.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02417155
https://www.wimhofmethod.com/uploads/kcfinder/files/biology-now-chapter-22-Wim-Hof.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2789570

I would disagree with that. Having been on Keto for over a year, when I took a break for a couple of weeks and ate carbs (and terribly at that because it was the holidays) my blood sugar never rested (after processing a meal) than that of a normal non-diabetic person. Prior to this I needed medication to control my blood sugar.

IMO from the reading I have done and the videos I have watched Type-2 is labeled a "Forever" disease that will not get better and will eventually have you on Insulin and this might be the case if drastic steps aren't taken to correct the issue like fatty liver and through proper diet as I have done.

My spouse echos the same results and did it only for sugar control and cholesterol problem reversal. Weight loss wasn't needed. So it's about the diet type changing and not necessarily the weight loss contributing to Type-2 diabetics regaining control of their blood sugar through the weight loss itself. It's about using up your glycogen stores, leaning out the fat in the liver and retraining your body to make it insulin sensitive again.

There many other folks online that have had the same results and some out of the box thinking doctors are also noticing this. So we aren't an anomaly.

Thanks for telling us about your personal experience. I wasn't aware of Dr Paul Mason and Dr Jason Fung until you suggested them. Thanks for the references.

From what I've learned so far about Keto diets, it looks like they might not be sustainable over long periods of time. Have you had any challenges with the Keto diet and do you also fast regularly?

Originally Posted by fraso

From what I've learned so far about Keto diets, it looks like they might not be sustainable over long periods of time. Have you had any challenges with the Keto diet and do you also fast regularly?

For generations
Eskimos lived on a carb free diet 11 months of the year eating only whale blubber with few other types of animals protein during winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back